For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Jul 2, 2019.

1. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

Yes and no. When you read what they do it’s many many man hours and highly technical work...all in the US. So I can see both sides of the argument. It’s like boutique amps. They cost a lot but all the work and materials that go into it and really they’re not making a killing off you by any means. Get what you pay for? At least on some cases yes.

Will I pay $4500 for any guitar? Hell no!

27sauce likes this.
  2. 27sauce

27sauce Member

True.

What’s highly technical about it?
    Compared to the historic makeover thing, where they recarve tops, replace fretboard, re set necks....

Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  3. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

There’s a lot in that listing that they do and redo. It’s highly technical in my book as you can’t just pay someone $15/hr and expect good consistent outcomes. They have to be at least excellent techs and have excellent luthiers on hand as well. Probably hundreds of years of experience between the team members I’d imagine. I can see it being a lot of labor costs along with significant raw material costs (I work in research and development in another field in my day job so hard not to be mindful of how this kind of stuff can go). RMs alone can be surprisingly expensive.

4. martyman

martyman Member

Can you say something about the issues? I have my eye on the Vintage AFD 100 as something I can travel with. Would probably go to SD Alnico 2's. I've seen reviews that rate it above the Epi Slash models that sell for twice the price. Any info appreciated.

5. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I will say the Vintage will most likely surprise and delight you.

Two things: the stock Wilkinson pups are very good. Good enough I think the SDs would be not as good. I have two Vintage guitars now and the pickups in both cases are very much on point and well done.

My only warning is in both cases I did not end up keeping the stock tuners. I replaced both guitars tuners with Grover locking tuners and they are now both very stable incredible playing and sounding guitars.

My lemon drop les Paul in particular is gorgeous and just looks feels and sounds like the real thing and everyone I’ve had play it was blown away by it.

In my research both the lemon drop (Gary Moore) and the AFD (Slash) models have true maple caps not just veneers. It is an authentic sound and weight that results. Wilkinson was tight with Leo fender and Les Paul and they even shared vintage pup winding techniques with him in the pickup side. These are sick guitars for dirt cheap you just need to be willing to do a set up and change out the tuners. Let us know what you do and how it goes.

6. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I confess I sometimes drool over the Buckethead model which is a 27.5” scale!

eigentone likes this.
  7. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

A few other interesting, but rare Gibsons:

I'd try them if our paths crossed.

JaiRamana likes this.
  8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I love my two Gibson Custom Shop guitars. They're two of the best playing and sounding LPs I've ever had my paws on. They're CCs, numbers 14 and 28. I've played one or the other at every gig I've had since I bought them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ptgold

ptgold Member

Ive never played this version, but I have a custom made LP style with 25.5 inch scale by Mcnaught guitars. More people need to try LPs with this scale, much more versatile IMHO YMMV

eigentone likes this.
  10. Funky54

Funky54 Member

He’s been Apple “SAUCED”

11. Noone You KNow

Noone You KNow Member

Did the same thing here and wound up with a 2017 Faded Bourbon. Best Les Paul on the racks, bar none. Lots were prettier, more expensive(!!), whatever. This one played and sounded the absolute best, went back to it 4 or 5 times, ended up coming home with me, and had extra cash leftover to take the SO out to smooth over the "another guitar?" conversation, lol. Funny what running the racks gets you.

Pablo likes this.
  12. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

13. Rossi163

Rossi163 Supporting Member

I dig that tight fiddleback curl. Very nice.

Meriphew likes this.
  14. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

and Tuning issues.

Jk

15. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

You gonna give GAS to others here, nice ones

16. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

:beer Cheers to a fellow tar heel with impeccable taste.

17. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Yeah haven't heard that one before...

Having said that, on an honest note. I picked up one of my LP's today for the first time in a week, thrashed about on it a bit before getting ready to record... right before recording I went to tune it and, to my delight, every string was bang on, perfect tuning since the last time I tuned it over a week ago. I'll be honest even I was surprised. Not cause it was a Gibson, but because no guitar I've ever owned has done that.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
    DiPa likes this.
  18. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 Member

I'm jk... I used to own a standard and a silverburst custom. I never had any major tuning issues that was any different than any other guitar.

I have heard that an SG with a short Tenon will give you headaches with tuning issues but I've never owned one

Having said that the most stable guitar I've ever owned is my PRS modern eagle.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019