For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Magnets And Melodies, Jul 2, 2019.

1. runningman

runningman Member

...said every victim of a swindle since the dawn of time.

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

My traditional is nine pounds flat and non-weight relieved. The vast majority of the non-weight relieved USA Les Pauls are between 9-10 pounds. CS models are generally between 8-9 pounds.

Very few hit 11 pounds, in fact I can’t find a single one at 11 pounds anywhere right now. You can scan Sweetwater where they list the weights and see that. Sure, there’s some difference between weights on CS stuff and the USA stuff, but let’s not make stuff up here.

These are all non-weight relief:
    [​IMG]

3. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Very nice indeed. Enjoy!
    But don't you think it's time to reach deep into those pockets and get a vintage one to savor? We only live once. ;)
    I see one of these two in your future... :D
    https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-standard-1960-sunburst-9
    https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-les-paul-standard-1959-sunburst-4
    Smell that vintage vibe. :)

4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

[​IMG]

I’ll be fine. I'm my own dealer, broker, authenticator, Not relying on anyone else's word. I'm not going to screw myself out of money.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Texsunburst59 likes this.
  5. Jabby92

Jabby92 Member

My USA Traditional is pretty special to me for this reason. I posted it on the 1st page of this thread. Anyway, mine clocks in at 8.6 lbs, has a decently dark rosewood board. Its got a nice flame top and some nice grain to the mahogany as well, again not CS level or anything but I still really like it.

I know what you mean in general though, a lot of the USA models are total dogs compared to the CS ones. A few are really good but you gotta go through piles to find a real nice one. The newer 2019s I've seen about 1/10 have really nice maple and rosewood, the rest are big piles of lumber it seems. I've seen some really nice ones on the forum but not many else where.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    Magnets And Melodies likes this.
  6. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

What year is your Custom ?

7. motokev

motokev Member

"For me, there is no better guitar than a Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul"

NICE try Gibson.....

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Gibson guitars are my faves. No apologies, period.

9. goddot

goddot Member

No better guitar for me than my two Les Pauls......happy picking everyone!

10. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

LP Customs are great, but I think the lack of coil splitting keeps me from wanting one again. To my ears, humbuckers are just not defined enough for clean duty. That might also be due to 45 years of destroying my hearing. I had a Tobacco Burst LP Custom in the 80s that was a rock machine, it made any amp sound good. Tuning was very stable on it, although the B string needed attention after Zep over bends.

Gibson is on the rebound, every company, from Fender to Martin, goes through down times with quality etc.

I wish they made a freaking SG with the strap button on the horn, and in different colors than red, red, black, or other shades of red.

11. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

I find it fascinating how much weight differs within the same model. Over a 10% difference. Nothing against Gibson at all, I know the same is true for other manufacturers, just interests me especially when we nitpick over so many other aspects (or at least TGP members do, lol!).

Sorry, off topic. Gibson is cool with me. Any guitar is cool with me. Play your guitar, whoever made it!

12. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

For me, custom shop Gibsons are a good start at what the minimum standard for Gibson should be.

They are factory guitars, subject to many of the same issues the non-custom shop guitars have, but built with a higher design standard in mind at least. For non-custom shop it is already out there that the new "ABR" bridge is not a true ABR. And the whole short tenon thing and multipiece backs. I have a pretty good suspicion that these things are there almost exclusively for product differentiation and price justification. Hide glue is a legitimate expense. And one that does not matter at least to me as long as the fit clearances are maintained.

In terms of better guitars, for me, custom shop Gibsons, and I do own one, are down the list from my Revstar, my Std 22, my Vela, and my ASAT Specials. So my custom shop Les Paul sits in the closet mostly. Sonic preference aside, I have little use for garish flame so most of the guitars pictured in this thread have limited visual appeal. Just not a look for me.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/28748985/

hunter

13. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Although this would be cool, and aside from the fact that I don't have nearly the amount of money required to do that, I don't have a huge urge to go vintage.

If I had that amount of disposable income, and everyone close to me was taken care of, than sure, I'd do it if I could. But I don't have a burning desire to actually own an original.

Some might buy the RI's because they want to get as close as they can to an original, at a fraction of the price. For me that's not it.

For me, I believe a Les Paul that's made the way they made them in the 50's, is the best kind of Les Paul I could get, sound, looks, and feel wise. Whether or not it was made in the 50s or made last week doesn't matter to me at all, as long as they were made using the same core techniques, with care and attention.

14. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I'd say it's a tie. The other would be a Bill Nash Strat. I say that for 2 reasons:

1.) Greatest guitar has always been a tie between a Les Paul and Strat. Each can do things they other cannot and each are a must have in your herd.
    2.) But on the Fender side I'd go Bill Nash rather than Fender custom shop, because the custom shop really is not Better, but costs many thousands more. So with the money you save with Bill Nash you get better pickups (lollars) and can spend the rest on your choice of Best Amp! :)

15. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I sold an ‘11 R8 that became a Nash Les Paul. Great guitar.

16. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

For you it's a tie and I respect that a lot!

For me, I dislike Strats about as much as I love these 2 Les Pauls. Polar opposite in my world.

Luckily these things are very personal and each can enjoy what they enjoy without worry about what others say or think.

JaiRamana likes this.
  17. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

R8 is a 1998 I bought new in 1998
    R7 Custom is a 2010 I bought used off Reverb a few years back. 9lbs on the nose.

18. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

I personally love Gibson guitars and own..

1964 J45
    1964 ES125
    1975 L5s
    1978 L5s
    2015 J45 1950's reissue
    2010 J100 Xtra
    2010 Historic SG Special
    2016 Dave's Limited Edition '61 SG Reissue
    2014 USA Firebird V
    2010 Historic 1960 Les Paul Reissue
    2014 Historic 1957 Les Paul Reissue

They are all fantastic guitars.

goddot and Magnets And Melodies like this.
  19. fjrabon

fjrabon Member

The craziest I’ve ever seen were two classic series telecasters. One was 6lbs 6 oz (I bought it) the one right next to it was 10lbs 3 oz.

CanuckChris likes this.
  20. goddot

goddot Member

I have a 2010 R7 too... nice and light and sounds killer, string zing on the low e, lots of clarity and snap.. its fast and sounds so good plugged and unplugged