For members who live in San Francisco...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sega, Jun 8, 2008.

1. sega

sega Member

Since i'm going to do a trip in San Francisco and know almost nothing about this city, can you tell me some nice place to go for Music stores both new and used stuff.

I will be living at my sister in law's house, so we also get a car to move around!!! So it can be around that area too.

So just let yourself loose and tell me about some places to go for fun and attraction or anything you feel like.

Will live there for about 10 days!
    [​IMG]

2. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

I don't live in San Fransisco, but I grew up in Carmel about 120 miles south and used to know most of the SF area stores. Unfortuneately, many have gone belly up.

Guitar Solo - The place for classical gutiars. Also used to have nice high end accoustics.

Banannas at Large - Accross the bay in San Rafael.

Gryphon Stringed Instruments - Down in Palo Alto.

The Starving Musician - Looks like they have three stores now - I used to go to the one in Santa Calara.

Guitar Center - If you've been to one it's worth a trip. I can't stand them, but my brother likes 'em.

Most of the others I used to shop at are gone... :(

3. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

I went to Bananas and Gyphon last december whilst on a visit. Great stores.

4. duende

duende Member

Rocker Guitars for pedals

Real Guitars for vintage instruments

That's it.

5. amp_surgeon

amp_surgeon Member

Guitar Showcase in San Jose. The vintage museum is a must-see. Occasional great buys in the consignment center, but the "relic'd" guitars are overpriced.

Starving Musician in either Berkeley or Santa Clara. Small stores with equally limited selection, but you'll find a lot more than the typical Fender/Gibson/Ibanez you see in the big chains. They're also great people. Decent assortment of used gear.

For the truly bizarre, Subway Guitars in Berkeley. Very small store resembling somebody's garage inside. Absolutely bizarre assortment of Frankenstein guitars. Fat Dog is a character!

6. sega

sega Member

I will get by those music stores, any other recommendation to go to?

There must be some cool places to visit that are unique or cool?

:band