For middle position pickup, what to buy?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Vosk, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Vosk

Vosk Member

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a pickup for my middle position, a humbucking one. However on the site it has listed only Neck and Bridge positions for sale. Which one do I get for the middle position?

This is on a strat, btw.

2. Tweeker

Tweeker Supporting Member

The standard choice I believe is to use a neck position pickup for the middle slot. A pickup designed for the bridge may be too bottom heavy. I put a single size Duncan Screamin Demon in my Strat middle position and it contrasts nicely with the single coils in the neck and bridge.

3. has-sound

has-sound Member

In a "calibrated" set, the bridge pickup is usually a little to a lot hotter than the middle and neck. Alot of the time, the middle and neck are the same except that the middle is RPRW in the case of single coils.

-Stan

4. karma1

karma1 Member

I'm not an expert on this, but from what I've heard, if you want to be able to get that famous Strat "quack" from your neck or bridge pickup in the 2 or 4 selector position, the middle pickup should be lower output than the neck or bridge pickups. Since humbuckers can be higher output, that might be something to consider.