For my next Artinger... (questions/thoughts)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by anais, Dec 16, 2009.

1. anais

anais Member

I was at Matts house earlier this week and saw possibly the most beautiful guitar ever being built for one of his, shall we say, biggest clients.

It got me thinking about my next guitar, and I want something completely different from my hollowbody... and just wanted some input form you guys because I want to see if anyone can suggest something that I havent thought of. Having said that-

I want an explorer, and being left handed there is no way for me to get one without being custom built. Neck through, 2 humbuckers with series/parallel, coil tap and phasing. I also want an effects loop between the pups and volume pot so I can have some better tonal options with the envelope stuff.

My question is this.. If I get a 3 piece body w/ neck through.. will the outside pieces play a HUGE role in the overall tone of the guitar?
    Anyone have any suggestions that may sway my opinion away or towards something I may hold interest in but haven't suggested?

I might be putting my down payment up for the next guitar this week.. and there is so much I want to do.. but simple is also key to good tone and I realize this. Thanks in advance!

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I'm confused. What ergonomic advantage would there be in doing a neck-through construction for an explorer shape? Why not do traditional set-neck style. If you're not familiar with neck-through guitars, I certainly wouldn't think that ordering a custom guitar built that way would be a wise way to go...

-Austin

3. Pfeister

Pfeister Member

The wings of the body would play a large role in the sound. It's not going to be HUGE difference, but it will play a noticeable role.

There are a few schools of thought on this, but a neck through won't necessarily add anything to the tone or sustain. I've done enough building and researching the physics to conclude that it won't really change anything. Again, some people won't agree with that, but I'm convinced.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009