1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

For older TGP'ers doing weekly gigs around town - amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jackson, Apr 18, 2019.

1. jackson

jackson Supporting Member

For guys who have done this drill hundreds of times, and are working with a small band. What is your work horse amp? I mainly want to hear about smaller tube amps, and I'm not a fan of modelers in this type of scenario.

2. woof*

woof* Member

Super Reverb in an Ata case with wheels.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Vox TB18C1, with a neodymium speaker (37 lbs.) or Fender SCXD, with an Eminence Legend 105 (27 lbs.). But, I'm using a Boss Katana more and more. I'm a front man, so I haul a PA, speakers, monitors and another 60 lbs. of cables, MIC's etc. I have switched to 12" PA equipment, with neodymium speakers.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    5F6-A and Bob Pollock like this.
  4. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

I've used an AC15, Deluxe Reverb and most recently, a Silverface Bassman in a 1-12 combo format. Probably have played over a thousand bar gigs over the years with a 15-50 watt, 1-12 combo around 50 lbs.

For tone to weight ratio (if that's a concern), you probably can do no better than a Tone King Imperial.

5F6-A, GGinMP, kLyon and 2 others like this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Member

I'm not fond of the maintenance that goes along with tube amps...

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

A Princeton Reverb covered 95% of my needs. For a larger gig, two of them. Or, the PA.

7. FracStrat

FracStrat Supporting Member

8. bluessyndicate

bluessyndicate Supporting Member

My advice is that whichever you choose, make sure any component you have is no more than 30 lbs to make it easier to haul/set up....i.e. whether it's a combo or a seperate head/cab any piece should not be over 30 lbs. I can walk in with a 30 lb head in one hand and a 30 lb 1x12 in the other, one trip. For larger gigs we are micing the amp anyhow, so the 1x12 is kind on my back. My Bogner 2x12 has casters so that's another way to go, and it's easy to wheel in the head on the cab, but when I'm lifting the cab into the car that's 65-80 lb's so there is a little effort there. Luckily the crew cab on my F150 is very low compared to a car trunk or tailgate.

Depending on the music you play, having an amp with on board reverb for ambiance, a clean and gain channel with either a 2nd master for lead bump, a mid boost, a gain boost, with a headstock tuner on the guitar, can allow one to play without need for a pedal board, which can cut down on trips to the car...but if you need a wah and other ambiance devices then I suppose you need a pedal board. I was running a 4 wire pedal board, using the effects loop, and that ended up being yet another bag to haul in for the 4 wire snake and/or a wireless mic set up, and a heavy pedal board.... At this point I selectively haul all that for very important gigs, but I am enjoying currently just a 30 lb two channel head with a 2nd master and gain boost, a 30 lb 1x12, a guitar with headstock tuner, and a cord...even gave up the wah to just focus on my playing. I have, however, sometimes stuck a keeley Caverns as the only device into the loop (no 4 wire snake, just the keeley sitting on top of the amp for reverb and a little delay ambiance). I have considered perhaps a one pedal multi effects unit into the front of the amp, that would be an easy haul.

In terms of which amp, there are so many options, and I look for a combination of features and tone....I think people focus so much on pure tone (which would be awesome for recording) and give up features that are convenient for live playing, only to get somewhat lost in the mix or I should say have that extra amount of tone covered by the rest of the band...

It would not work for me, but I see a lot of guys sounding great with a Fender Blues Junior, as one example of a 30 lb combo.
    Our 2nd guitarist favors his line 6 combo, very convenient, but his gain tones do not compare..his clean tones work for him.
    I have a Vox AC10 that I use for practices sometimes, it's only about 20lbs, but I'm not satisfied with it's gain tones.

kookaburra and bluwoodsman like this.
  9. tbonesullivan

tbonesullivan Member

Such a loaded question, with so many answers. Also depends on what you are playing. Maybe a modeller through a good tube clean amp like a Deluxe Reverb?

Johnny Ninefingers likes this.
  10. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

11. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Carvin V3M luncbox 50 watt head and a 1 x 12 cab. Small, versatile, light, plenty of power .

12. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Vox AC15 retrofitted with a blue or a 65 Amps SoHo. Even though the SoHo is bigger and heavier thanks to dual (heterogeneous) speakers, I mic the two speakers individually and send them to either side of the PA. As the lone guitarist this provides a fuller sound in my view. I've had my eye on an OEM - Fender and an amp - Deluxe Reverb that I thought I would never own or use but discussions and frequent encounters with other bands in live settings have greatly altered my outlook.

13. Gnarlly

Gnarlly Member

While I am more of a Marshall guy, a Deluxe Reverb with lightweight neo speaker plus a few pedals has become my go-to gigging setup. Very versatile and sounds great. I'm done hauling heavy amps to gigs.

Peppy and tbonesullivan like this.
  14. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

I have a bunch of different amps and cabs and play in two different bands.

For the rock/dance/funk/party band I'm the only guitar and we control our stage volume. Main amps I use in this band are a Blackstar HT20MKII combo and sometimes a Marshall DSL20 combo. For gigs with a bigger stage sometimes a Friedman Runt 20 head with a Marshall 4x10 or a Mesa 1x12.

In my 80s/90s hard rock/metal band with ridiculously loud stage volume its usually an Orange CR120 head with a Marshall 4x10 cab. Sometimes a Mesa TC50 with the same cab. Once in a while a Blackstar HT60 MKII combo.

If I had to sell all my stuff and could only keep one head and one combo I'd keep the Blackstar HT20 and the Mesa TC50. Those would be the workhorse amps.

15. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

One of 3 amps depending on the gig. A Brown Deluxe, a Blackface Vibrolux, or an Ac15. The Vox gets the least use due to weight, but I love it.
    The Brown Deluxe only weighs about 35 lbs. The Vibrolux weighs about 45. I use a very small pedal board with a tuner, Purple Plexi, and. True Spring Reverb.
    For PA stuff, I love those Mackie Thumps. Light,loud, and they sound good.

Deanriffs, cratz2 and Page of Cups like this.
  16. Just Mike

Just Mike Member

What kind of Music do you play? Is the PA big enough to mic the amp through?

17. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

Mostly Deluxe Reverb. When I've played a place where I know the Deluxe is too loud, I'll often bring a Silvertone 1482. I have a bunch of other amps though, and I'll bring those out on occasion as well.

crazyneddie and corn husk bag like this.
  18. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Modelers?? Solid state??? Ahhh hell no. I'm old but not that old.

Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini.

Small and light

Set to edge of breakup..

3 or 4 pedals.

Killer little gig rig...its not a "metal" only amp.

Arguably the best master volume available. Transparent fx loop.

I'm actually converting this to a combo cabinet shortly.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    guitrr likes this.
  19. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Member

This is a perfect scenario for modelers.

I haven't gigged hundreds of times but I grew up around people who have. The one guy I know that still gigs at least once a week uses a Fender Mustang 1x12 combo with a small pedal board (4 pedals I think). He prefers to carry the smallest setup he can. He even uses the Mustangs amp sim out to the PA.

EDIT
    it also has to do with his gear being stolen in the past. he takes cheap gear to most his gigs for that reason alone.

20. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Go modern.
    Neo 12 in a pine cab with a Quilter or similar small box SS amp and pedalboard.
    Or Bluguitar Amp1.
    No that's not my rig but take a good look at what can do the job, these days.