For older TGP'ers doing weekly gigs around town - amp question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jackson, Apr 18, 2019.

1. LPV

LPV Member

I tried the modeling thing with an Amplifire and didn’t like it after the shine wore off. We play mainly smallish places and for the last year or so I’ve run just my pedal board with a le crunch preamp with an h9 in the loop. This splits to a Mooer radar that feeds FOH with my tone with an IR which is usually a creamback and the other half goes to a mosvalve 962 driving a creamback in my stone age 112 that feeds the stage volume. Not very loud. I’ll usually use in ears but mostly to help me singing backup. Sounds allot more complicated than it actually is. Very portable but I can get as big of a guitar tone as I want FOH and I’m heard everywhere in the room plus it’s scalable. I was using my 50w tube head into my reactive load as a preamp but it’s just not worth hauling it around for what we are doing.

ebenezer likes this.
  2. bluesmeanie

bluesmeanie Member

Traynor YCV40. In the past I used my Marshall JTM30 but it runs hot. Once or twice I used a Marshall Haze 15 but I prefer 30W minimum for gigs.

woof* and vintage66 like this.
  3. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

I use a PRRI with a 12" Greenback in Orange. Hard to steal an orange amp off a stage.

I do have a Vibroverb RI as an alternative in case I feel I need more power but I never had to use it...

4. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

For my regular gigs, I use my Marshall Mini Jubilee with a 1 or 2x12” cabinet.

For church, I use my Fender Princeton ‘65 RI with a 12” Cannabis Rex.

5. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Supporting Member

This lightweight, low-budget rig kills. The head is from a 1967 Traynor YBA-2 combo... 15W, 2xEL84s that actually only occupies about a third of that head cab. I take a backup (a '66 YBA-2 head with 2x6V6) . The cab was built by Dave at Dave's Sound back in the '90's, when it was one half of my miked stereo rig. On gigs it has a 906 on the cab. I've been through dozens of amps over the years, and finally realized that this ugly little rig just sounds great. All in, I doubt I've put $200 into it.

Baxtercat likes this.
  6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

DV Mark DV 40 combos are ultra lightweight, have power scaling and can be found affordably used in great condition. It’s a superb and often overlooked gigging tube amp.

7. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Lordy that Tungsten sounds saweeeet

ebenezer and Page of Cups like this.
  8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Well said.. I use a Marshall 50 watt Origin Head thesedays run clean at 3 or 4 and use my pedalboard for lead tones ect.... our band plays to the room.. no “to loud” sound issues... using the same Scumback loaded cab, I used to use an 18 watt Budda.. the difference in size of the the guitar tones to me was quite astounding, for rhythm or leads... and the Origin is a different animal for Marshall.. not a high gain channel switcher at all.. very low gain, old school Plexi tones... I’ve tried in the past using 5 and 10 watt amps.... they just don’t have the girth needed so that you can clearly be in your tone zone....even the 18 watter sounds small by comparison.....

C-4 likes this.
  9. suparsonic

suparsonic Member

I’m using a Bogner Atma head (18w/14 pounds) and a Bogner Cube 1x12. My sound has never been so good, and at a manageable level.

10. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I just tried a new head out yesterday that was really great. It's not released yet, but when I'm allowed to talk about it I will. Right now, though, all I can tell you is you'll die for the footswitchable "Gangsta Mode"...that's right...Gangsta. I'll probably have one in person in 6-8 weeks if all goes well with deliveries of parts, chassis, etc.

ebenezer likes this.
  11. Rod

Interested in hearing about it Jim...

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  12. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

When it's in my hands, I'll spew the goods. Some things I have to keep quiet about until it's time.

13. paulydangerous

paulydangerous Member

14. MichaelDCarter

MichaelDCarter Member

I admittedly am not playing all around town and barely get out anywhere except the music garage for jams. If I were looking for the ultimate 1 12 solution I'd grab a Bartel. I wasn't wanting one or looking for one when I played through one. But I've happily owned it ever since. I cannot imagine a situation where you cannot get your tone just from the amp. Boosts, OD, etc can shape it, but it's just very versatile. it's expensive but you are getting three awesome, revered, tones. It's light. It has great built in foot switchable reverb. And an extension cab out should you ever desire more volume. Mark is creating functional works of art.

mlongano likes this.
  15. Rod

I understand :):)

Scumback Speakers likes this.
  16. Rod

gravy and Scumback Speakers like this.
  17. tubedude

tubedude Member

Vox Ac10c1 with a ten inch Celestion Greenback in tight clubs, which seem to be the norm.
    Larger clubs a Vox Ac15hw with a Celestion blue with a Greenback extension cab. Both usually mic'd for the spread.
    I'm 61 years old and have settled on these two amps the majority of the time.

18. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

I love my Swart ast Pro as it’s under 30 pounds, can get in the zone at 15 Watts, has Reverb and tremolo.

For my back, guitar weight hurts more than the few minutes of amp lifting. I make my own now so nothing is over 8 pounds and my Teles are just under 7.

Peppy likes this.
  19. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I've got a RedPlate Blackline that I've used at many gigs (big and small). It's got a small footprint; two fantastic channels, a great loop (I put delay and reverb pedals in the loop), great on-board boost feature (switchable from included pedal). Great Fenderish cleans and Marshall-esqe overdrive. Fantastic amp!

I've also gigged quite a bit using one or another of my favorite old Supros (particularly the 1688TN and 1624T for small rooms)). I've also had a great time using an old Ampeg GU-12 and for harder stuff, home-made Marshalls -- a 2204 and 1987 (with PPIMV) through a 1937 type cab.

jimpridx and gravy like this.