1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

For practicing... Band In a Box or Digital Performer?

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by tronus, May 21, 2011.

1. tronus

tronus Member

Hey all,

I hope this is the right forum to post in... Seemed to make more sense to post here than in the effects forum like I usually do.

I've been using Band in a Box for a while now and I like it... I have 2010 currently and was about to pull the trigger on some real packs.

Before I do this, I was wondering if any of you use Digital Performer and could comment on the difference between these two programs... My instructor (who also uses BIAB) was recently given Digital Performer by a fusion guitar player I really look up to so I'm wondering if he was on to something?

I basically just use BIAB for guitar practice sessions.

Thanks for your time guys, I really appreciate it!

Troy

2. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You are comparing apples to goats. They are completely different applications.
    Comparing Band-In-A-Box to Jamey Aebersold play-alongs might work.
    Comparing Digital Performer to Pro Tools might work.
    DP is a audio/MIDI recording app. It's good to have a recording app at home in case someone asks you to put some tracks down.

3. tronus

tronus Member

Oh... haha, well geeze, I was way off then. Thanks for explaining that though :wave

I have Reaper handy for catching ideas and what not.

Well I'll just go ahead with this real pack I've been eyeballin. Aebersold books are awesome though... I'll have to get ahold of a couple here soon. I was just checking out the Miles Davis play along mentioned in another thread on here.

4. gratay

gratay Member

5. tronus

tronus Member

Thats pretty nifty!

I guess I could run it on my I Pod... Any way to run that on a Macbook?

EDIT: watching the vid... geeze... I should throw this on my I Pod regardless

6. gratay

gratay Member

theres a version for Mac OSX
    I use it on my imac.

7. tronus

tronus Member

OK, great... Thanks for the heads up. I don't know how I was missing it... I see it now though