• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

For-profit music schools

METAL

Does anyone have any experience with for-profit music universities and colleges such as Musicians Institute, BIMM, etc..?

I'm currently studying music at a regular university. The location, facilities, and course offerings of these for-profit schools look great, and it seems better than studying music at a conventional school. Are these schools mainly marketing, or do they have any advantage over a regular college/university? Almost all the ones I have seen are super expensive.

Hack Prophet

vile mighty wretched
They are similar in that you get out what you put into them. The core program at Berklee is not too different than a conservatory, where you are required 4 semesters of ear training, 4 semesters of jazz harmony, 4 semesters of classical harmony/counterpoint, 2 semesters of conducting, and 2 semesters of music history. Where they differ is in electives, ensembles, and majors. There are many classes at Berklee, such as the Bob Marley ensemble that are only worth .5 credits. Some guitar labs might only be worth 1 credit. The result is a 16 credit semester may have you taking 11 classes, each with a final test and final project. Midterms and finals weeks are insane.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
@Peteyvee is a grad from the earlier days of GIT/MI, IIRC.

Maybe he will chime in.

Last edited:

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
I was in the 5th class GIT graduated, well before it became MI. In fact, one day I was wearing a MIT shirt my cousin sent me (he's a professor there) and MI founders Pat Hicks and Howard Roberts stopped me in the hallway and asked me what I thought about consolidating the whole thing under the name MI. I replied that we have to go recruit bass players from BIT and drummers from PIT, so they might as well. I found out they were informally polling students (there were only 130 of us in 5 groups) and a few years later it became MI.

Before that I earned my BA in Music at UCLA. In that one year of GIT, I learned more about practical applications for the guitar than I did in 4 years at UCLA. Yes, I received a much better overall education at UCLA, but the intensity of one year, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day of nothing but guitar really helped me quite a bit. I'd say that if you can afford to take a year off from work or can work part time like I did, go for it. Now I went there almost 40 years ago and I understand things are very different (for one thing, the school is huge now), but I think they still have a one year program as well as offer four year degrees.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom