For The First Time Ever, My Klon Has Been Replaced...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TRGuy, Apr 18, 2016.

1. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

I bought my Klon about 8 years ago. Ever since it has been the mainstay of my board.

I'm an overdrive addict, I've got loads of the things, and in the past 12 months I've been through: -

Ibanez TS-808
    Ibanez TS-10
    Ibanez TS-9
    Keeley Katana
    Boss BD-2
    Keeley BD-2
    Marshall Bluesbreaker
    Boss SD-1
    Analogman KoT

And probably many more.

All of these pedals have their own merits, and I love stacking a few of them into a clean amp, but as a boost, none have ever come CLOSE to my Klon, it's always the pedal I use to boost an already distorting amplifier.

However, I bought a Way Huge Overrated Special last week. At first I took the Bluesbreaker off my board to accommodate, and the plan was to use that slot as a "overdrive of the week" type thing, switching out as I felt like it, however I just love this pedal so much, I want to keep it on full time. Thus, it's permanently replaced my Klon, and the Klon will now be added to the pedal of the week slot.

Who else has this yet? It's just phenomenal. It's so warm, organic, natural sounding, but with that low mid adjustment you can tailor it just how you like. The issue with Tubescreamers is, with an already mid heavy amp, they can make things a little boxy, but with this you can control that mid hump to accommodate any amplifier.

I can't recommend this pedal enough, get one before they're all sold out. Honestly this pedal is so good that, providing they really do just make the 1000, they will be selling at a premium very soon.

nooner and BigDiceBuddha like this.
  2. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

3. WillLane

WillLane Member

I was really expecting to see this when I clicked on the thread:

"For The First Time Ever, My Klon Has Been Replaced...

with another Klon!"

4. rosslevans

rosslevans Member

@AMSnell Nice! I'm on the waiting list thru Sweetwater. Said it should be June when they get their next shipment in. Glad to hear good things about this

5. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

In a way it's like a TGP prophesy fulfilled . My Klon has been replaced by a Dumble..........

6. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

That's cool you are digging it however, even Joe Bonamassa claims there is nothing "special" about the pedal. He also states it is intended to boost an already overdriven amp. Now that doesn't mean you can use it drive a clean amp but I don't think that is it's intended use. I guess there really are no rules though.

7. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Oh yeah thats what I use it for, boosting an already overdriven amp. Bonamassa claims theres nothing special about it as it's just a boost, but thats exactly what the Klon is, and I think a lot of people would tell you that theres something special about that pedal.

Of course, YMMV, but this is an incredible pedal.

8. BigDiceBuddha

BigDiceBuddha Member

Did he say there's was nothing special about it?. He had it designed to a certain spec, and he's been using it on tour for two years prior to it's release for a distinct purpose (pushing his tweeds). He A/B'd it, while designing it with Jorge Tripps, against a Klon and a Tubescreamer, and chose the prototype (OS) over that. There are 1000's of overdrives out there, but he chooses to use that one. Must be something special about it, right?

In fact, he says at the 1:45 minute mark of this clip that there's "something very special about this pedal with an amplifier that's already distorted":

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. Leftyman

Leftyman Silver Supporting Member

I've never tried a Klon but I have always heard there is something special about them. I wasn't putting the Overrated Special down when I said he stated it was nothing special. I think he was stating there was nothing special about the design. Glad you like it though. Makes me curious.

Maybe I should have clarified but when I said he said there was nothing special about it I think he was stating there is nothing special about the design. There are too many overdrives out there for our own good, but just because Joe plays it doesn't mean there is anything special about it. Don't fall into just because a pro player is playing something means it has to be special or I need one. I'm sure it's a great pedal and I am curious about it. If I get one it probably won't be because Joe is playing one.

10. Fuzzr

Fuzzr Member

Green Rhino'D

11. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Haunting mids strike again!

12. TRGuy

TRGuy Member

Owned a Green Rhino, it's more than just a Green Rhino with a mid knob.

13. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

They sound like a Green Rhino with a touch more gain to me.

14. misa

misa Supporting Member

Anyone compare it with the new Mk IV Rhino?