For the guys who fly a lot, does TSA...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by hagerty, Jan 23, 2012.

1. hagerty

hagerty Member

Care if you bring your pedals on the plane? I'm flying west for a week, wasn't going to check a bag, wanna bring a ptjr of the pedals I need as my personal bag. Will TSA give me a hard time?

2. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

I'd hate for those creeps to go through my pedals. Ugh.

3. hagerty

hagerty Member

I just don't want them to take them.

4. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

5. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

i did a fly in to Phoenix a few weeks ago with some pedals in my carry on....no issues going or returning...

6. teleclem

teleclem Member

I've flown international a couple times with pedals in my carry on. No problems so far (with TSA or at other countries).

7. Whiskey N Beans

Whiskey N Beans Supporting Member

They have been cool with me so far. Regional and smaller planes will require you to gate check. The trick is when putting them through the X-ray, put the guitar before the pedals. This will at leat give them a hint what the pedals are. Otherwise they seem pretty curious.

8. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Never a problem with mine.

9. 78deluxe

78deluxe Member

Just make sure the case fits the approved carry on dimensions for the airline you are using.

Check their web site, should be posted.

10. Magicpad

Magicpad Member

I fly all the time between Denver and Los Angeles with gear and pedals as carry ons. The only time I was stopped was for my digitech whammy.... the guy opened my rollerbag and asked what it was. I told him it was a guitar effect and he was fine.

11. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

12. Calaban

Calaban Member

I have flown with my pedals many times. TSA used to do a number on my board....when I got to my destination all the pedals would be flopping around inside the case etc. really annoying.

Then a friend told me to make sure there are no batteries in my pedals. Apparently batteries indicate trouble. I have since flown many times without the batteries and haven't had any trouble.

13. crawz

crawz Member

Inner resting about the batteries bit. Tanks heaps for that clue in as to what may escalate things on that score.

14. turnstylepoet

turnstylepoet Member

I flew with my pedalboard in my carry on bag without incident. I did bring a some literature on my pedals in case I was asked (sweetwater catalog for the M9, OCD and Pork Loin). The only thing that worried me was my DIY expression pedal. But the TSA folks checking my bag didn't even blink.

15. smallsnd/bigsnd

smallsnd/bigsnd Member

just went to and from the UK with pedals in my carry on. no problems at all... though, take out the batteries if you want to assure yourself no hassles. they may ask you a few questions or stop you to look through your bag, but they are only effects pedals after all.

16. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

The most scrutiny I ever had was for my Teese Wizard wah. They looked it over and took it off to another room for 10 minutes or so. I usually check my board (PT-2) as it's too big to hassle with.

Never had anything lost, however I did get to a gig once with little time to spare and found all of my power cables unhooked from my Pedal Power. Had to re-do the whole thing fast while 1200 people were staring at me and the band was standing on stage waiting.

17. losergeek

losergeek Member

I used to work for the Transportation Authority here in Canada and I confirm that there's no issue with pedals for carry-on or checked baggage in Canada or the States. Like any electronics, they might attact a little more attention (espeically since it's not a common electronic for them) but there's no regulation against it.

18. maxVsf

maxVsf Member

I had TSA go through my carry on luggage once with only a turbotuner, and Zendrive. Now I carry a few more pedals, but put them in their own little bag inside my luggage. packed on top for easy inspection if necessary. When they stop the scanner to look, I always tell them what they are seeing is musical instrument electronics. Since a guitar in a gig bag preceded this, they are pretty cool with things now.

19. Montez

Montez Member

I got stopped by TSA for a Wah in my carry-on. They didn't even question the other pedals. They were just fixated on the wah for some reason. It was funny trying to explain to a complete music noob what Wah pedal does. They didn't confiscate it, but i did have to take the back off to show that it did not have explosives in it. I guess the casing is so thick they could no get a good picture of the innards.

20. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Would definately take an objective look at the names and graphics of all pedals on your board. I can easily see something like a WMD geiger counter (with it's big radioactive symbol screened on the case) or a Barber Dirty Bomb raising a lot of attention and scrutiny.