For the les paul experts....

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by 89strat, Apr 19, 2008.

1. 89strat

89strat Member

Mine doesn't stay in tune that well. I've had a number of setups by different techs, messed around with the nut, the saddles, frets, etc.... it plays well, and stays for a few songs then starts to go flat a bit. It's a standard with kluson tuners. I'm thinking the tuners might be the culprit. I replaced the tuners to locking ones on my strat and it stays in tune no matter what abuse I put it through.

Has anybody had any luck with locking or more stable tuners on their gibsons? If so, what do you recommend. I would like something that can retro fit with any modifications.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

3. donkers

donkers Member

my tech told me it's a common problem with les pauls because of the overall design. my les paul goes flat as well after a few songs.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

The 17° has plenty to do with it. You could have your tech replace the nut with a SlipStone Delrin nut. This would alleviate most if not all of the string sticking issues.

5. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

I replaced my Kludsons....best thing I ever did for my LP.
    Never would stay in tune for more then 2 minutes with em on there.

6. 89strat

89strat Member

What did you replace them with?

7. Jef Bardsley

Jef Bardsley Member

You guys need to find new techs that know their stuff.

Jack's right on two counts: it's the nut, and (as pictured) the PRS headstock design is the answer. :)

8. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

my les paul wouldn't stay in tune. Got a tech to make a bone nut for it, and I have never had a tuning problem since.

9. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

I can make em play in tune. The Lester is designed a certain way & needs a certain set up to go along with it. The stock nut is Corian wich is slippery, but the cut is never right in my experience. The Klusons will work fine, but the string wraps must be neat. Too many or too few will make a difference. The last part is the player, they know their guitars & tune them a certain way. They know where the tuning is going to end up & compensate.

10. Monroe

Monroe Guest

Never had a problem with mine. One thing is for sure though, they take a while to warm up. No sense trying to get it in tune until it's up to operating temperature. Never use 9's on a Paul, they're too light. YMMV

11. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

good point gtrdr, the way you string them is crucial. I had some problems using a set of light top heavy bottom strings, but when I switched to 11's, it helped immensly. I also use the locking wrap technique, where you make a little knot when you string it up. It is also important to properly stretch your strings. My les paul is rarely out of tune. I havent played electric guitar since a gig two weeks ago, and I tuned at the beginning of the gig, and I guarentee you that mine is in tune right now. really the majority of tuning problems are from improperly cut nuts and bad stringing techniques.

12. RockStarNick

RockStarNick Supporting Member

Everyone always says "if you wind it/wrap it right, etc, Klusens and any vintage tuner will work perfectly."

I know I'm gonna get blasted for saying it, but to me, I could NEVER get Klusens to stay.

Switched to some nice smooth Grovers, and tuning has improved dramatically.

13. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Don't take this personally, but your tech is an idiot.

If $99 Indonesian Teles can stay in tune, so can an American-made Les Paul. If your tech can't get your LP to stay in tune, get a new tech.

--chiba

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

My LP is bone stock (1994 Standard) and I pretty much can play a whole night without tuning. Since it sounds like you had a problem with another guitar as well I would looking into how you string it. Sometimes it can be the simplest things.

IMO it is better to find out what is causing the problem than to throw money at it to try and fix it.

15. 89strat

89strat Member

The other guitar was a Strat, and I was pretty heavy with the wammy. Though, with the les paul, that's exactly what I did, I tried to figure out what is causing the problem. The only thing I haven't tackled yet is the tuners.

I've been through quite a few good techs, there's no shortage of good ones here in New York. It's not the nut, it's not the stringing, and it's not the overall design, although the design of les pauls are slightly different than earlier models, such as the fretboard angle which prevents the strings from clearing the bridge when the tailpiece is screwed to the body.

I don't think that Donker's tech is an idiot, there are flaws in many of the newer les pauls. Just as I'm sure there are some indonesian teles that aren't staying in tune either. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

So, I just figured it would make sense to try tuners.....tuning - tuners. Makes sense, no?

16. GtrDr

GtrDr Member

You have to consider the entire string path. Getting the slots in the saddles smooth, reducing hangups at the nut & the tuners are all important. I dont like Klusons at all, Grovers are (in my opinion) far better tuners.One of the downsides is the extra weight/mass at the headstock. I swear by Big Bends Nut Sauce too.