• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

For the love of God a squier strat is not a Fender strat!

JPJesq

Yep, I own two; one with the Squier series label on the ball end of the headstock, and one that just says Fender. There is a lot of information floating around the web about these "black label" mid-nineties oddballs, including some claims that they are mostly U. S. necks and bodies that were assembled in Mexico because of a fire in the U.S. factory. Not sure that's true in my case; for example, I'm pretty sure that both of the bodies are made out of poplar, which I doubt was ever used in American strats. Also both of them are similar in that they have wonderful necks, but the hardware is mediocre, and the pickups sound like butt. But man, are those necks nice...
I had one of these and I destroyed it trying to attach humbuckers to it and give it a dope EVH stripe pattern. It cost me $85 in 2001. I never cared too much for it but I still hate Stratocasters.

He_Who_Forgets

Silver Supporting Member
Agree with the OP 100%, annoying as hell. The worst is when the you can't see it in the picture and you click into the ad and it's a squier.

Brad8008135

they have wonderful necks, but the hardware is mediocre, and the pickups sound like butt.
I agree with that assessment.

They're asking $400 for it.
I will just advise anyone reading this thread to play one before purchasing. That price, given what it is (not the branding on the headstock, the actual construction and quality), seems a bit much. However, given the backstory of these Squier Series models, and our current Covid guitar scarcity, he'll probably get that amount.

cap10kirk

Okay I suppose it is a fender. But it is still not a "Fender Statocaster" as advertised. I do admit, I was wrong. But still, its marketed as a Fender Statocaster, in every other picture it's avoiding the headstock. They're asking $400 for it. Maybe that's not crazy, idk. But typically squiers are worth a lot less, especially from the 90s.
But that guitar actually is a Fender Stratocaster, as advertised. Sure, it's a "Squier Series", but it's not actually a Squier branded guitar. Price doesn't seem unreasonable to me either...again, because it's not actually a Squier.

I get the point you're trying to make, and I actually agree with you. However, the guitar you posted is just a bad example to use to make that point.

Guitarworks

A Squier is a 'Fender product', and an Epiphone is a 'Gibson product'. By that measure, in the minds of many sellers, it counts. That's all it takes for a seller to include the words Fender and Gibson somewhere in the ad copy.

Of course, no one will include the words Squier or Epiphone, EVER, if the headstock says Fender or Gibson. So do what you must to weed out that which does not interest you.

Shelldigger

That seems illogical. A Squier is a Fender.

But I can sure see why they should not call it one. But it's a Fender! Man this is making my head hurt.

I think they should be called budget Fenders :) With budget prices.

EDIT: If the seller is deliberately trying to misrepresent the guitar by not taking pics of the headstock and being willfully obtuse about the description, they need to be tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.

llwonder02

That seems illogical. A Squier is a Fender.

But I can sure see why they should not call it one. But it's a Fender! Man this is making my head hurt.

I think they should be called budget Fenders :) With budget prices.

EDIT: If the seller is deliberately trying to misrepresent the guitar by not taking pics of the headstock and being willfully obtuse about the description, they need to be tarred, feathered, and ridden out of town on a rail.
I agree, but my example was bad. But I've seen plenty of Epiphones advertised as Gibson so I guess that's what this is about. It's usually people trying to advertise higher quality than what they have because most non guitar players and non musicians have at least heard of Fender as a name.

RBH

They're just guitars - but if people think they're junior marketers - then I agree with the OP. I equally can't stand someone advertising A " NAME BRAND HERE " 1962.... only to find out it's a re-issue -made in 2005 in the smallest print. The digital age makes a lot people just plain BullS>I&%Iters.

Shelldigger

I agree, but my example was bad. But I've seen plenty of Epiphones advertised as Gibson so I guess that's what this is about. It's usually people trying to advertise higher quality than what they have because most non guitar players and non musicians have at least heard of Fender as a name.
Yeah, I have seen it with the Epi's too. They call it a Gibson, you take a gander, and immediately you note the headstock and it's obviously an Epi. It is somewhat an attempt at fraud really, trying to plant the notion in your head it's a Gibson and therefore worth the asking price. But most of us are going to know what's up pretty darn quick. I see those ads and move on. A little irritated, but certainly not fooled. I can understand why the OP made this post :)

rright

Gold Supporting Member
Wonder if Fender has ever contacted Jack about a Signature Squire model.

JSutter

At least you all spelled it Squier, not Squire. That bugs me.

Also Starcasters (the Stratocaster cheapy, not the hollowbody) listed for MIM prices.

Reactions: MGT

66fuzz

Silver Supporting Member
By the look of the pic it looks like it was taken by a fourteen year old or a pi$$ed off sig other. Or they honestly know very little about guitars lol. Seen that a bunch of times.

But yeah, there are the ones that knowingly try to pull the wool over & scam higher selling prices. Pretty lame for sure. :facepalm

Trending Topics