For the Nobels ODR-1 fans, Nordland ODR-C!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blix, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

Legends are built when pedals are cheap

That doesn't mean that later iterations are unworthy
    It's just that their price is more market-correct

Just the same, I will say this ...
    Not sure how the original ODR-1 were built, but I am not a fan of surface mounted pots and jacks

2. Jamie_Mitchell

Jamie_Mitchell Member

could be? lemme dig up some "clips" from my usage of it!

3. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

For context, the ONE demo of this that exists on YouTube is being played through Line6 modeling in the demo video. It is enough to gain some context and characteristics of the pedal, but surely, we will know better about how well this new ODR blends with a tube amp's actual tone when we receive them.

The original circuit blends pretty good with Fender amps, as discussed, and kind of has that warm pillow-y country crunch that tames the high end just enough and gives the bass the twangy crunch.

It is not COMPLETELY transparent and sounds like a pedal to some degree, but some people identify with it as 'the sound'. I am one of those people. Just surrounds the notes in the most organic way and maintains just the right amount of clarity. For my taste.

A good pedal and a classic sound is really just a balancing act and sometimes it comes down to the subtleties.

AceBSpankin and zztomato like this.
  4. stucker

stucker Member

One reason the gain is lower on some of the older ODR-1 units is that they accidentally swapped the volume and gain pots in manufacturing. You can look at the circuit board to confirm. Once the pots are in the correct spots the unit will sound much better. I've done this myself.

5. saltbird

saltbird Member

Can somebody give me a quick rundown on the Nobels ODR-1? I see it on boards and I know it's popular in the Nashville scene, but I rarely see it compared among the usuals, tubescreamer, klon, timmy, etc.

6. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

I have the part with the nerd talk about the technical side of the circuit bookended in bold disclaimers, you can skip to the end for a brief summary or how its different than a Tube Screamer, a Klon and a Timmy.
    So....
    The designer of the pedal got the idea for the ODR-1 while playing through an old Blackface Fender Bassman, and liking how the amp reacted with the volume pot of the guitar (when he turned up the volume pot, the amp became overdriven slowly, evenly and continually while maintaining the basic character of the guitar).

(Beginning of the nerd talk) It became an overdrive pedal with a JFET circuit at the input with no input capacitor (like a typical tube amp). He designed it with a filter that cuts low and high frequencies at the same time. As you move the knob, it cuts a band of frequencies in the low mids (300hz) and the the highs (0khz). The cut-off frequencies are re-constructed in the last filter to maintain the basic character of the guitar as much as possible). He added some extra filters to maintain a useful mid tone for the whole of the sweep of the 'spectrum' knob.

It also has two anti-parallel diodes across the op-amp and two diodes at the output for the overdrive circuit. Which was new at the time in 1992. It was designed this way to make it uniform as you turn up the volume of your guitar, with no strange or inharmonic noises The output of the overdrive circuit was followed by some additional low filters to make it sound more warm and avoid the typical 'screaming' sound in overdrive pedals. (End of the nerd talk)

It is a smooth and transparent overdrive that has a specific band of frequencies in the low mids and highs that gets cut or added while keeping the mids present in relation to them. With one knob. The 'spectrum knob'. This is where it differs from the mid humps of the Klon and Tube Screamer. The overdrive circuits for those pedals are also designed completely different.

The Timmy has a similar EQ with its separate knobs but also a completely different overdrive circuit.

The ODR-1, soundwise, just has this open-sounding, full, warm overdrive and pretty nice note clarity throughout its range. A very nice rhythm sound, especially for country or blues. It can have a nice, smokey blues tone for leads as well....also has that country cut and sizzle for leads. It doesn't step on other musicians in a mix but stays present as well, like a good ol' Gibson J-45. It is designed to sound good across its whole tonal range. It has this nice pillow of bass that surrounds the notes and it also shelves off just the right amounts of highs or ice pick or squeals or choppy dissonance. It truly is a warm and balanced overdrive. It was well thought out and well designed.

Many people love it cause for a cheaper overdrive, it sounds nice and sweet on every setting, through every amp, with every guitar. It can be one of those 'if I can only bring one overdrive, I'm bringing this' type pedals. Its well rounded and adaptable

That's it. No unicorn farts or mind-f***ery. It's just a good overdrive and a different flavor than the ones you mentioned. It's the complete opposite of a Tube Screamer or a Klon, really. A lot of Nashville session guys dig this because of its qualities above that I mentioned.

The utility of having a nice, solid overdrive that sits well in a mix and has that full Americana 'sound' that compliments everything around it is akin to a nice J-45 acoustic on a track, to go back to that comparison. Some things just become the bread and butter because of their simplicity, ease of operation, organic qualities and subtleties in a recording kind of environment. Hitting lots of good marks with minimum fussin' required.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  7. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Gold Supporting Member

VERY curious how this stacks up against the Shanks ODS1. I just got my Shanks recently and really like it. Looks like the 'O.D.C' and 'Lo-Cut' might be the same as the 'saturation' and 'bass' controls that the Shanks has in the top (and need a small tool to adjust). If so, could this be more of a "Vemuram Shanks ODS1 Clone" than a Nobels ODR1 clone? (Of course I realize they are both clones of the original, but making a point that this seems more like the Shanks).

The Shanks was also a very pricey $$ clone. I like it a LOT more than I do my $80 Nobels Mini, but at almost $400 for either of the new clones I would rather figure out how to mod my mini, I think.

8. MarkV

MarkV Member

For $299 you can buy a Protein drive from Browne.
    You get the ODR with less bass and a tweaked bluesbreaker in one pedal.

Buck Naked and Winzzy like this.
  9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Not the same me thinks, saturation controls gain, not reducing the compression like the o.c.d knob on the ODR-C.

10. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

sounds like the nordland is the uber odr-1 style pedal. fwiw, regarding the protein pedal, i have not heard a demo that really made my ears perk up. it sounds very small and generic. i'm sure it's wonderful but i've not been convinced...yet! i have a real desire to try the protein but, for my needs, double pedals are usually not as useful as two separate pedals; kot being the exception.

11. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

I am merely speculating, but being able to lower or raise the saturation would change the level of higher signals that hits the amp and become blended and broken up during overdrive while leaving the lower signal that is hitting the amp unaffected. You would be controlling the signal of the high peaks only, essentially.

Lowering an attenuator on an amp is raising the saturation because those high peaks coalesce together a bit more but the higher signal essentially being forced into a smaller room, so to speak. When you turn the attenuator up, it allows the signal more room to spread out. Its also akin to adding mids on top of mids. Like when you have a mid-heavy amp with the mids turned up and you use a Tube Screamer or something on top of all that. You'll get really saturated mids...sometimes overly so.

Certainly an 'amp-like' function to include in an overdrive pedal, though. I say 'why not'. Good on 'em.

Being able to lift the compression should, when looking how compression works, give back some dynamics to the overdriven signal. The peaks will be separated more. Loud and soft. Not just compressed together.

They're very similar but different things. I have a Strymon Deco that has a Saturation control and I have a Cali76 compressor, and they don't exactly do the same thing. I can certainly get much more definition out of the compressor by changing the level of compression than I can the saturation on the Deco, but they both have a good sound and are both useful. Saturation sounds pretty cool on overdriven tones. I think it's certainly cool that the Vemuram does this, could be a useful trick for recording than live in my opinion, but useful nonetheless.

The ability to boost saturation is certainly useful. Your amp will not always saturate enough for certain sounds you want before it starts collapsing in on itself. But I view this as more of a niche thing. I don't personally like heavy saturation on my overdrive very often, personally. And a lower gain drive usually saturates just enough for me in my amp at least, never really felt the need to be able to control that. Maybe would be a nice feature in a higher gain pedal, though.

With the Nordland, I look forward to being able to get some more control of the compression levels in an overdrive pedal to get more dynamic overdriven tones, make the overdriven rythym or lead tone (especially) more open and sensitive to touch while simultaneously having a separate compressor to use for compressed clean tones to make those stand out. I think it'll be a neat and very useful parlor trick.

I've heard good things about the Protein Drive, but I don't really need any more dual drives, personally. Really don't need Bluesbreaker and ODR-1 in one pedal for what I play but that is certainly a great idea! Might check it out sometime.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    AceBSpankin likes this.
  12. GenoBluzGtr

My point was not that the controls did exactly the same thing. My point is that the base circuit is STILL a Nobels ODR 1 with two added controls, one of which is EXACTLY the same (Bass)... if the "saturation" on the ODS1 and the "ODC" on this pedal are slightly different, okay,,,, but on the ODS one when I turn down the saturation, it loses compression, so I'm wondering if it's a similar mod but done in reverse.

I did a comparison with the Shanks ODS1 and the Mini and they're pretty similar, but the ability to tweak the bass and saturation help make the pedal much more clear and transparent. I think the ODS 1 is closer to the original Nobels circuit than the Mini. The mini is pretty bassy and compressed. Not so the ODS1 - unless you run the bass and saturation higher. I bet we hear similar stories from folks who buy this one.

13. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

According to Kai the mini has the original ODR-1 circuit, except for the true bypass. Component variation makes up for most differences probably.
    That said I liked my ODR-1 better than the mini. It was a tiny difference, but yeah.... :)

stephen sawall likes this.
  14. MarkV

MarkV Member

An ODR type overdrive into a bluesbreaker is a wonderful thing. I used to run a common ODR-1 into a morning glory. You can run them separate just fine, bluesbreaker for a mild breakup and ODR for more mid gain, with some more thumb.
    The ODR-1 into the morning glory just takes the morning glory to the next level, without collapsing, like some other pedals do when stacked. The MG takes away some of the bass of the ODR-1 But the ODR add some saturation and compression.

The protein is both, but tweaked a little, so standalone they are more usable. For me, it saves space and removes some of the woofy bass of the ODR.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  15. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

You got me intrigued about that pedal now lol

16. GenoBluzGtr

Sometimes it's the "little differences" that make the biggest difference!

Blix likes this.
  17. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Picking up mine tomorrow morning, can't wait! :banana

Datsyuk, songtalk and johngregson like this.
  18. johngregson

johngregson Member

Mine arrived a few days ago but I haven't even had a moment to myself to plug it in! Argh. Tomorrow, too, all being well, I can enjoy it and share thoughts!

Kai T. and Blix like this.
  19. Silkrodamus

Silkrodamus Member

The suspense is killing me because mine is stuck in snail mail hell only an hour drive from where I live lol

dbeeman and Blix like this.
  20. Buck Naked

Buck Naked Member

I’ve got one. I’ve had a KOT and other high end pedals. I still have some. The Protein is an absolutely amazingly by pedal that I don’t plan on ever getting rid of. I play it through a Peavey Classic and a Vox AC30. It truely is amazing. Full, well balanced, the “tone” knob is amazing, and both sides sound amazing when stacked. I even like the switches.

Silkrodamus likes this.