For the record Carvin is

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by cisspcism, Jun 10, 2008.

1. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

A great company, I get tired of people saying Carvin is low quality just because it is affordable. I personanly think there electric guitars are just as good as any PRS or ESP or what not out there. Some complain about the electronics but that can be easily swapped out.

Now there amps are good and you have to remember that Carvin doesnt want dive in to the 3000 dollar plus amp business there core market is to deliver good quality products and a fair price. The constuction of their amps are very good and I have had most all of them, yes I sold them as my taste changed but they do make good rock amps. I would take a Carvin Legacy over most 1000-2000 amps out there any day.

Plus Carvins customer service is excellent and they are easy to deal with.

I guess I get sick of seeing post where people just thing of Carvin as junk because there amps arent usually more than 800 bucks.

I apologize for the rant

2. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

I've coaxed some very respectable tones out of a Legacy. One could do far worse.

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

OK so our Bass player just got a deal with Carvin. He had been using a 2 x 10 cab and a 1 x 18 cab of theirs and a 600 watt stereo bass amp and one of their basses too.

2 weekends ago his amp was cutting in and out during a set so we had to get him in direct. He told me he was gonna have to buy a new amp he thought. I told him to call Carvin and tell em that they were gonna send him a 1200 watt amp 2 day air and then he was gonna send the 600 to em for repair on their dime. Then they were gonna send the 600 back on their dime and he was gonna keep both amps or he was gonna sell it all and buy an SVT.

He calls me the next day to thank me for his brand new 1200 watt amp and to tell me that Carvin agreed to everything he asked and also offered him a new bass as an endorsed artist.

I just told him "you have not because you ask not"

So he gets the 1200 and uses it for rehearsal but something was wrong with it. So Carvin picked up the tab to have it shipped back to them and then shipped him another 1200 2 day air. Thats pretty cool IMO

Carvin did him right and now he's got a deal with them. Those amps sound good too.

4. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

It's very confusing when you use the wrong word. Please consider this when starting threads. :munch
    I'm not trying to be hateful or anything. But since you're discussing Carvin, it's safe to say you live in the US, and that English is probably your native language. You should know this stuff.

5. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

honestly, my own experience with carvin has not been that good so I avoid them personally. With all the options I don't feel I'm missing anything by skipping on the carvin.

Like the post above, three amps all having problems seems like a bad indicator no matter how many times they send a new one. I don't want free replacements every time my amp dies, I just want an amp that will run for years with no problems.

6. NitroLiq

NitroLiq Member

I've had a Carvin FET900w Poweramp that I bought in the 80s to power my old ADA MP-1 modular rig and later on my studio monitors. Still kicking and on its first fuse. Friend used to have a Carvin bass that sounded great. Whatever works...in my experience Carvin has always been reliable. Never had to deal with cust. support.

7. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Yeah, great customer service is nice for sure but how about an amp that works out of the gate and doesn't break down.
    It would "SEEM" that there may be some QC issues.

8. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The guitars do look good and at the price are worth a shot to get a nice quilt top, may have to try. Can't bring myself to get an amp though, maybe I am too snooty...

9. cisspcism

cisspcism Member

I know I can't type at all, I have to hunt and peck as my fingers are gimp on ly left hand. I also not the best speller either.

"As Ma would say, I ain't to good with my readin words"

10. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I love their guitars. They are right up there with Jackson, Anderson and Suhr IMHO. They are quite unique however and are not for everybody. I had a Legacy amp as well some time back and I was getting some excellent rock sounds out of it.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

There were all kinds of problems in that post.

However as someone who has owned quite a few Carvin products as well as Gibson, PRS, Fender, Marshall, etc., I disagree strongly with the OP. Carvin, at least in my experience, makes mediocre stuff at best - useless junk at worst.

And please, let's not pretend they're interested in any kind of customer service. I've been watching goings on at their forum lately. There's a very open disdain for their customers expressed by the company.

cisspicsm, what Carvin products do you have experience with?

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

WTF are you talking about?

13. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Bro, you and the rest of us. No worries -- I think everyone understood what you said. Deville2Rocket was, to put it mildly, out of line. His post was both unnecessary and unreasonable.

14. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

I was talking about his use... or misuse, of the word "there". To be fair, his spelling was actually pretty good... especially for someone who hunts and pecks with a gimp hand. :D

Now I understand we're not all English majors here, and I recognize that my own posts may leave a little to be desired in terms of grammatical correctness (for example, I am the self-admitted king of run on sentences). But simple things we all should've learned in 3rd grade like knowing when and how to use the words "there" "their", and "they're", should be second nature by now.

Again, I would understand if the OP was a non-English speaker, but if he's using Carvin... I'm just sayin'. ;)

15. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

That was obvious from your subject line. But dude, if you're gonna start correcting grammar on TGP ... man, good luck to you! If I had a dollar for each time "there" and "their" and "they're" get mixed up, I could buy all the boutique amps mentioned on any one of the "Recommend me an amp..." threads. So unless you correct them all, it came across like you were picking on the OP. (Did you notice I used 2 different tenses in that last sentence?) :)

16. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I would have added a comma after the word "grade"....I'm just sayin' ;)

17. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

Fair enough. But if that's all you've got... not too bad, I'd say.
    Nobody's perfect, right? It was just difficult to read.
    At least he didn't say "teh". I freakin' hate that! :D

18. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

Oh, I would agree that technically his "point" is valid. I just think it came across a bit like he was picking on the OP. Even Deville2Rocket admitted the post overall was well-written. I just re-read it, and it certainly isn't anywhere close to being "a second grade command of the English language". That's a little harsh. But no biggie. It's all in good fun. I actually am an English major - haha!

19. Deville2Rocket

Deville2Rocket Member

LOL! And you have great timing! :rotflmao

20. thesteve

thesteve Member

I can't compare them to anything else on the market, but I checked out one of the new Carvin SH series guitars in the San Diego showroom, and the construction on it was top notch. I didn't take the time to plug it in, but the look and feel was everything I would expect from a $2000 guitar.