For The Recording Modellers Gang

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Studio66, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Studio66

Studio66 Member

I record direct with my KPA and occasionally record some acoustics and vocals with a mic.
    Trying to talk myself into a new Apollo interface and telling myself that my KPA will benefit from the massaging on the way in :)
    Curious how you guys are doing it with your gear....through additional preamps or bypassing them?
    Probably a silly question as a signal is a signal but still curious if the design of these units and tones were designed and shaped to stand alone so to speak...again probably a silly question :)

2. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

When ever i go to the studio with the Axe FX or anything digital i pass the signal thru API preamps, it just gives something to the tone that no other preamp does, at least the Neves and Focusrite ISA828, Presonus, Avalons, SSL's that we have in the studio.

3. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

I record the Fractal direct analog or S/PDIF. No preamps.

On most projects I put delay / reverb in post. (and usually console / tape emulators from Waves, Slate, UA)

But on some I use the reverb and delay in the Fractal. I really like the spring reverb in the Fractal and use some big dark verbs while tracking.

4. Studio66

Studio66 Member

Thanks guys...looks like it would be win/win having both approaches as options :)