For the "wood matters" crowd, a question:

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edward, May 20, 2016.

1. Lewguitar

Lewguitar Member

I'm sorry you can't hear the difference a nice tone wood can make in the body as well as in the neck.

Because they are both extremely important.

2. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

I can't predict the exact sound that a particular wood will have on a finished guitar, therefore wood makes no difference. Am I right now?

songtalk likes this.
  3. transmission

transmission Member

Londoner currently enjoying life in Sweden
    You may be able to hear 'tonewood', but if you could just hear yourself for a second....

peskypesky, R13D, scotticus and 6 others like this.
  4. songtalk

songtalk Member

No. Wood makes little to no difference in how you want it to sound before it's been built because it's too chaotic of a variable.

It's not predictable.

I know you are smart, you have to see that there are many who acknowledge that it is important to structure and function and has a small but unpredictable effect on tone.

There you have it. Small effect. Unpredictable. = snake oil

It's the "tonewood" people who seem to be very "all or nothing" IMHO. Makes for a dogmatic little attitude.

sleep and peskypesky like this.
  5. johnh

johnh Silver Supporting Member

This is a great story. It mirrors my own experience, although mine is with much cheaper strats. But the outcome was extremely similar.

buddastrat likes this.
  6. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Why thank you. Cheaper doesn't matter, a good guitar is a good guitar. Many high end, custom shop strats fell short for me. When I'd take a good sounding neck and stick it on one of 'em tho', they'd sound great.

7. Mikhael

Mikhael Member

I am constantly amazed by the people who try to say that wood doesn't matter. They've either never built guitars, never listened to the results, or have some agenda I'm not aware of. The simple fact is that I've built guitars, experimented with the electronics, and heard OBVIOUS differences based on the wood used.

Are there variances withing a single species? Hell, yes. But you can hedge your bets by picking species known to create a certain sounding instrument, same as neck attachment methodology, hardware, pickups... it all rolls into the end result.

RayBarbeeMusic, johnh and buddastrat like this.
  8. bluegrif

bluegrif Member

Absolutely true. Earlier I mentioned a Strat I own that's now had four necks. The first two were Fender USA. The third Warmoth. None of those did it for me. It's not that they sounded bad. In fact I toured with the guitar while it had an American Standard neck. It was just a little ho-hum. I finally found one that sounds great: a 90s MIM from a Strat Special. On paper that should be the dull sounding one, if price and prestige made any difference, since all the other necks cost at least twice as much. Of course I now realize I prefer the sound of necks with single action rods on Fender style guitars. But it does confirm the fact that most of the character of a Fender style guitar is in the neck, and that the amount of money you spend on it doesn't really much matter.

9. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

How about if I said the differences don't matter instead of saying the wood doesn't matter?

hunter

songtalk and R13D like this.
  10. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

I'm going to start making molded plastic guitars because we don't know that they won't sound exactly like wood ones.

Same with food. Out with the expensive cheese, replaced by nacho cheese. I don't know exactly how the expensive cheese will taste, so it can't be better tasting. People who buy costly cheese will henceforth be referred to as suckers with more money than common sense.

RayBarbeeMusic likes this.
  11. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

A couple of things with your misplaced rant: 1. What does wood have to do with food and beer? 2. Expensive doesn't always mean better. You really need to understand this in order to get it. Cost does not always = quality. 3. It's ALL SUBJECTIVE. Just because we disagree doesn't mean you're wrong. But it doesn't mean you're right either.

songtalk and peskypesky like this.
  12. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

I should have used the term non-gag-inducing cheese rather than expensive. If you don't get the analogy that's OK by me.

13. sleep

sleep Member

How many guitars have you built that weren't made of wood? How many guitars have you owned that weren't made mainly of wood? How do you come about your opinion if you haven't built and owned guitars made of alternative materials?

How confident are you that you could identify guitars based on wood type? Do you think you could tell, by listening, an aluminum guitar from a wooden guitar? Can you tell the difference in the Teuffel test I posted earlier? Could you tell that guitar, which is about 50% metal, from a wooden guitar?

There is an agenda... and it is this: guitar salesmen (also called 'luthiers'... those terms are interchangeable now) have money to make on convincing you that 'tone wood' matters, and you need to pay for it. Buyers of those instruments, especially the ones who buy the strat and tele copies, have an interest in hearing the difference so they don't feel like fools for having overspent.

songtalk likes this.
  14. sleep

sleep Member

... to people selling guitars.

rsm, songtalk, muzishun and 1 other person like this.
  15. /13guitarman

/13guitarman Member

Had a mjt body and put a ec custom shop neck on it. Sounded great. Sold the neck and tried different necks since. Same everything else and it never sounded as good.

To those who have not experimented with changing body and necks on a guitar, you would not know if tone wood matters. You have nothing to judge it on. Might as well buy a plastic red guitar from big lots and save you self some money from that 100 dollar squire at guitar center.

RayBarbeeMusic likes this.
  16. songtalk

songtalk Member

EC strat necks must have the real good tone wood, I s'pose. Well, better sell my stuff and start saving for a custom shop fender.

:facepalm

17. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

No - all necks sound exactly the same and only idiots would suggest otherwise. ;)

18. songtalk

songtalk Member

I would suggest that no necks sound the same.

19. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

So why can't that EC neck be truly astounding?

20. songtalk

songtalk Member

It was! It's just not because it had special tonewood that someone knocked for.

It was just a good neck. Ya got lucky.

That's always the case with a good neck.