For those of us with no desire to play out, what is your reason? Non giggers come on in!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Jazzandmore, Feb 26, 2019.

1. awp

awp Member

There really aren't any opportunities for me to play out. I've never wanted to play covers. I've always wanted to do original material. Additionally my music isn't mainstream. I craate ambient electronic stuff. So there's really no venue and no audience.

When I was younger there seemed to be more of a scene and I did gig some but as I've gotten older (51) most of my friends have dropped music and so no acene

Ultimately I am happy. I've always played for myself anyway. Someone above mentioned playing was like their mediation and I get where their coming from.

thecornman, Fred Farkus and Antmax like this.
  2. s2y

s2y Member

I actually want to be in a band. Cover bands play EVERY single Fri+Sat, which doesn't work with my hospital job that requires some weekends. Even if I didn't work weekends, I probably wouldn't want to give up every single Fri+Sat unless I were really hard up for $. Even if I needed $, there aren't too many locals that can pay like that.

I prefer originals to write and record. I'm too old for the 20 somethings planning a world tour (even though most won't play more than a gig or two....). No idea why, anyone who can play won't give me the time of day. The only people who want to meet up are still learning "the chords".

3. Scuttlebutt

Scuttlebutt Member

I eked out a meager income as a full-time performing rock musician for about 8 years in my 20's and 30's. I was a front-man then and never really got to focus on my guitar playing. Realizing I wanted more out of life, I finished up a bachelors degree and began a career in technology. Now, 10 years later I'm comfortable in my career, with a steady income and I've got the opportunity to try some things, musically, that I never did before.

As far as why I don't currently pursue gigging: I have little hope that I'll find any musicians in the area that want to play what I want to play - western swing (leaning toward the jazz side of things). Also, I have plenty to learn in the genre and think I can benefit from a couple more years of wood-shedding before I consider performing again. After that, who knows?

4. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

I like how guitarist/composer Pat Metheny put it. He's said that he has relationship with music first and foremost and that people actually want to hear his music and see it performed is just a bonus. He'd be fine making music for himself regardless.

Therefore, music, be it me playing guitar for myself and/or recording my own music for its own sake is actually supremely fulfilling and satisfying .

Personally, I see zero point in playing covers in the typical bar band scene.... the CL'ster bands, .i.e, the dad bands, the weekend warrior and occasional gig types. In my experience, that arena seems to comprise mostly of exhibitionists firstly, with music as the afterthought... that's just the thing you need to get hired.

I'm perfectly fine with wanting to play original music for other people because that's something one can be personally proud of. However, we all know what the opportunity for that is in many markets so its kind of a nonstarter.

However, I totally respect the top tier pro outfits that command top dollar fees and put on full bang on entertainment extravaganzas. I'm talking about outfits that'll provide a performer with a decent middle class life style because that's their JOB!

Rufus, thecornman and ctreitzell like this.
  5. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

I have always been interested in creating music, not much at all into playing covers just to be on stage. I have been fortunate to play in some bands that did largely, or entirely, original music (and actually gigged a lot).
    About 3 years ago I simply lost the need to be on stage. It is an incredible amount of work to earn those moments/hours on stage - buying and maintaining the equipment, practicing material at home, driving to rehearsals and setting up gear there, getting the gigs, promoting the gigs, coordinating band members schedules (an almost impossible task), dealing with members who don't hold up their end, driving to the gig, schlepping gear in, putting on a good a good show (a lot of mental and physical energy), schlepping gear back out & loading up, and often getting home in the mid AM hours. All for an incredible low rate of pay if you count all the expenses/hours.
    My degree of need of attention and recognition of being in the band on stage has disappeared to the point where even a fraction of the above was not worth it.
    I have invested my time and money into a workable home studio and am working with one partner and an occasional other contributor to write and record all original material. My partner and I don't have ego issues with each other to speak of and I am making the music I always wanted to make. We will soon have enough material to start getting it up on Soundcloud, Spotify, FB, YouTube etc. I actually have a lot more time to make music without all the non-musical time spent doing band stuff.
    I do miss those few absolutely magical moments when a band really clicks and the band & audience merge, but I am musically happier making my own music in my own space on my own time these days.

6. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Same. I get paid way more for writing for other people (and in the comfort of my own home), and I'm too much of a control freak to be in a band situation. I know I could become a "band leader" if I really wanted to. But I'm also not the type of person who feels comfortable telling other people what to do.
    I don't get paid for playing guitar (more for orchestral composition) but it is my primary instrument, and it's the one instrument that I can play just for myself. When I need an outlet to be heard, I post on my Instagram.

uab9253, ctreitzell and AVWIII like this.
  7. StevenA

StevenA Member

If it didn’t work for Joshua Bell, what hope is there for you/me?

8. Suave Eddie

Suave Eddie Member

I'm curious how many others started playing music for these reasons. I started playing music (violin) at age seven. None of those reasons entered into it. Music always seemed to be part of who I was and early on I felt that making music with others was the best part of it. Even when I took up the guitar seven years later, getting laid and making money were not factors. I've been playing guitar now over 50 years and have gone long periods without being able to play with others and it always felt incomplete to play alone.

I Am Misery likes this.
  9. Old Guy

Old Guy Silver Supporting Member

I am the same, sir. Started playing piano at 4 years old. Gave up, but played all kinds of other instruments in the school orchestra and eventually started playing guitar in my late teens. Music is in my soul. It is air to me. I can't imagine even one day without guitar in hand.

Suave Eddie likes this.
  10. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

sickening. i would never want to be involved with someone who thought like this. i'd almost agree with #3, but "to entertain yourself" is just totally downplaying it, like comparing it to playing Solitaire or watching football. people like this shouldn't be making music in the first place, but it seems that most bands are actually made up of this type of "musician".

Multicellular and Suave Eddie like this.
  11. Shnook

Shnook Member

I’ve been playing guitar and writing original songs for 37 years now. I’ve been in bands that I enjoyed playing in at times, but mostly it was a PITA. I play guitar because I enjoy it. Not for self validation. Once it starts smelling like a commitment it resembles a job that I don’t want. Band drama. Scheduling conflicts. Having to buy this or that for a few songs here and there etc.... I’m perfectly happy jamming with friends, writing music with people, or just hanging out and talking music. Tell me I HAVE to play from 8:00-1:00 at some crap bar dealing with obnoxious drunks for little pay...no thank you. It’s just not for me. Thankfully others enjoy and provide that service because every now and then I do like to go out and see some local live music. And even better...I can leave when I’ve had enough.

Old Guy likes this.
  12. Jonny1275

Jonny1275 Member

Which is about halfway through the first song. :D

Shnook likes this.
  13. Shnook

Shnook Member

Lol :)

I try to stay for at least a set but it depends on the band. Thankfully I live in an area where we have some really talented local musicians.

Jonny1275 likes this.
  14. Antmax

Antmax Member

I started playing again after a 20+ year hiatus. I'm 47 now and have been playing again for maybe 3 years. I'm not really interested in playing famous songs in public and have pretty diverse tastes. I mostly play for myself, to relax and de-stress and I often play old classical music in a rock style that would probably not go down so well in the usual gigging places. Around here it's mostly parties that have live bands. I doubt Mozart, Pachelbel, Beethoven, Prokofiev, Faure etc would be all that popular even though they have great melodies for rock music. You still have to find other people of a similar mind to play it. I'd probably have more luck finding gigs playing traditional irish songs at some grannys birthday party which isn't really my thing.

So I play all kinds of music, basically whatever takes my fancy from many genres a couple of hours a day to various backing tracks and basically chill out and relax. Being absorbed by the guitar is a great way to relax and escape from the days problems.

I"m also a bit of an introvert and perfectionist and play about 20% worse when I have an audience I don't know lol.

15. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

maybe you've already tried it, but when i was was playing out doing electronic music the best shows (usually with the most appreciative audience) were at art galleries and places like that. with the "bar gigs" it almost always seemed like the wrong setting.

Multicellular likes this.
  16. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Silver Supporting Member

I'd love to but don't (won't?) dedicate the time needed to improve my playing at a respectable level much less the additional time that a band would require. That plus I lock up whenever I try to play in front of people. At this point I can sort of blame that on two kids, but I had plenty of years before marriage and kids when I could have done it but never made the effort.

17. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Between the hauling of gear, the drunks and the crazy hours i wouldnt mind letting go of gigging. I would hate not playing with other people regularly but i could do without gigging. I have a weekend warrior since the early-mid 90s. That's long enough

Problem is, the good players round here want to gig, so if you want to play w good players, that's the price

Matt Dillon likes this.
  18. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

A man's got to know his limitations...
    I'm just not good enough to play out!

Oriondk and datsun like this.
  19. Matt Dillon

Matt Dillon Member

I’m 49 now. Got married and had kids a little later in life- I have two daughters - 9 & 12 now
    Played in bands and gigged from probably about 16 to 33.
    Really wouldn’t want to gig now
    Seems like everything is gone now anyway, but I’ve been out of the game a long time now

pats likes this.
  20. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

A few reasons, but at the end of the day, I'm just not interested at all. If I did gig, I would want it to be original work and/or covers that I picked, and none of what I'm into would work in my area. What works is worn out classic rock radio covers and top 40 country, and I'm not remotely interested in doing either of those.

I have more fun working on other instruments. I finally got serious about piano a few years ago after 20 years of noodling around on one, and I did the same for mandolin just last year. That's been much more satisfying to me than halfheartedly strumming "Wagon Wheel" to a crowd of drunk singles desperately trying to forget their most recent divorce.

Daren Anderson, RGB and Jonny1275 like this.