for those of you who are quick to dismiss fender as a world class custom builder....

matte

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Wasn't the point to demonstrate the ability of Fender to produce something to customized specs that does not match any production pieces?
Like it or not is not the question.
It certainly drives home the build capability of Fender and their ability to actually respond to a custom request.
Most of us are likely surprised and impressed.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
I dig it, and I'm not even a strat guy. The surf green sparkle is badass.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Not my thing either, but if the OP thinks it's the nuts, who am I to argue?

Personally speaking, I think it looks like ass.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
From a " low rent hobbyists (who have no intention of ever paying the price of admission for a true custom build"

I think the color looks like a formica counter top from the 70's. The last couple of frets seem useless. The neck pickup seems to be outside of the second harmonic area, so no strat neck tone. It appears to have the standard strat wiring, so that's not very custom. And the gold plating will wear off after a couple of years of playing.
None of these comments have anything to do with whether the guitar is custom or world class, so I'm going to assume you're just trying to be a jerk.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Not my thing either, but if the OP thinks it's the nuts, who am I to argue?
You can't. ( tip.. don't argue with Matte.:p)

If you had asked if Fender could build you a 7 string Strat with trem, a 24 fret scalloped neck, and a sparkle finish would you not have been surprised to find out the answer was yes?
:huh

kbgear

Silver Supporting Member
Cool guitars, and extremely unique -- I've seen nothing like them (primarily the functional features) which is really cool. Thanks for sharing, and thanks also for creating a thread that significantly beefed up my Ignore List!

kiwicanuck

Cool guitar - is this something that anyone can order? Way more customised than I thought they would do.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I was commenting on the guitar. That is what the OP is about. Get it? I gave my opinion of what I thought of the guitar. He's looking for people to debate whether Fender is a "world class custom builder". That's what we do here. You don't agree with me, fine. Post your thoughts regarding the guitar.
What we shouldn't do is call other posters "JERKS".
I've been a member here for 12 years. I'm aware of how things work around here. You exercised your right to offer criticism that's completely irrelevant, and I stated my opinion about what you said.

I think the color looks like a formica counter top from the 70's.
Color choice is incredibly subjective, but the finish is flawlessly executed. I don't see that the color precludes this from being "world class."

The last couple of frets seem useless.
It's beyond me how your inability to use the 23rd and 24th frets is relevant to whether this instrument is world class.

The neck pickup seems to be outside of the second harmonic area, so no strat neck tone.
Uh... yeah. :bong

It appears to have the standard strat wiring, so that's not very custom.
Yes, the presence of a 5-way switch makes this not a custom instrument. Great point.

And the gold plating will wear off after a couple of years of playing.
Ummmm... so?

Yes, you certainly offered some astounding insights into the design and execution of the instrument, never mind aesthetic preferences (yours). You should definitely jump into every guitar thread and provide your opinions on every aspect of the instrument. Perhaps you can standardize around some sort of form with letter grades. You'll be the coolest kid in school.

cardinal

to those of you who don't believe that fender is capable of producing incredible custom instruments, behold.....

Will they make me one and for how much? It's not the Fender isn't capable of making great stuff. But I'm not sure that stuff like this is accessible to non-artists?

James M

Before this thread I hadn't heard of Matte, and now I have...just read your Guitar Player interview, and now I'll check out your album. Thanks!

Oh, and cool guitars!

Jjdhawg

Will they make me one and for how much? It's not the Fender isn't capable of making great stuff. But I'm not sure that stuff like this is accessible to non-artists?
Oh they'll make it for a non artist but you'd better remortgage the house, and pick up the coffin at the same time because you just may die waiting. :p

Edit: Nice guitar man, not my cup of tea but it's undeniably a killer custom Fender build!

Trending Topics