For those of you who own a Traynor YCS50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rhythm, Oct 26, 2008.

1. rhythm

rhythm Member

I imagine the versatility of this amp might be a big reason why you like it, but regarding the cleans....

Do you like the cleans a LOT, or rather are they passable as part of a "jack of all trades" kind of amp? I'm considering the YCS50 head, and although I'm looking for a versatile amp (cover tune gigs are likely to be the most common), I do like playing clean a lot and also enjoy playing traditional jazz a fair amount too. I've heard a lot of praise about this amp, but I'm not sure what kinds of music the fans of this amp are normally using it for. If you own and like the YCS50, please chime in and help me put things in perspective on this amp.

Thanks!

2. rhythm

rhythm Member

Bump....YCS50 owners please elaborate on the amp's cleans....

Thanks!

3. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    IMO the cleans are as good as your guitar sounds which can be very good or just mediocre. I have found that with an American Strat the cleans are great any way you slice it .. but with the LP I find the cleans can be a little dull with dull strings but great with newer strings that still have their brightness. I guess what I'm saying is that if your guitar sounds good then it will sound good through the amp but if your guitar sounds OK then don't expect to be blown away by your sound through this amp. Same goes for the gain channel and I love this about my amp.

4. rhythm

rhythm Member

Tubez thanks for the reply. Sounds like it's a fairly "transparent" amp...I have no problem with that. I like the sound of my guitar (it's a 1985 LP Standard) so I guess I'd be fine then.

One last try folks....could others who play this amp chime in and tell me what they think regarding the cleans and how much you like using this amp for clean tones?

Thanks.

5. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Supporting Member

Cleans are very good IMHO. I like the "edge of breakup" cleans, so I set the gain on the clean channel almost full on and it gets a nice chimey clean. Is it like a Matchless? No. Nevertheless, it's beyond adequate.