fOR THOSE OF YOU who play a Lot of U2...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by semi-hollowbody, Jan 23, 2008.

1. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

what DelayS do you use, how do you orientate them??
    I use a digitech delay for short delay (slap back or a tad longer) into a line 6 echo park for long (trade mark edge chunka chunka chunka sound) modulated delay...

do you use modulated delay? I have found that just using a chorus pedal before the delays sounds better then modulated delay.
    what other effects do you use to get a good edge tone?

I am aware of the edge sites and go there often, and I like MY edge tone, just curious what fellow tgp'ers do to play u2...

2. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

Liquid Sunshine and Rat for the overdrive parts. And Disaster Transport and DMM for the delay parts.

the Edge doesn't use a heavy chorus tone, other than on the repeats, so the modulated repeats are perfect for getting his tone.

i set the DT up for quicker delays with lots of repeats going into the DMM, both are using modulation (though with the DT it's footswitchable).

3. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

2 DD3s and 2 magicstomps with multiband mod delays + amp reverb.

4. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

oh ok...so by using modulated delay, ONLY the repeats are modulated...but by using a chorus pedal, everything is modulated...

5. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

yea

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

When I'm in an Edge mood, the EH Deluxe Memory Man definitely lets you hit those eighth notes with zero tail. nice.

7. puddinstone

puddinstone Member

I know it's not always the most practical....but stereo is a huge part of it! I started running stereo and all the delays came alive.

I'd say a modulated delay, another delay, and a reverb-low in the mix with a bit of pre-delay and long trails.

8. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

You gotta have a delay that does dotted eighths. That is about 80% of his vibe in addition to the mod on repeats.

9. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

DD5 with dotted eighths, and DL4 with lo-res

10. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

every delay can do dotted eighths... you just have to know where to set it. With my DMM, i can pretty much tell form sight where to set the time knob. Not as easy as tap-tempo, but then again, the edge doesn't use tap tempo either...

11. jonathansuhr

jonathansuhr Member

Well then again, all of the Edge's songs have preset tempos and a gear tech/slave that switches everything for him.

12. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

eventide timefactor. the tempo settings are perfect for that galloping u2 delay.

13. KennethC

KennethC Member

That's something I thought was right, but I never quite figured out for sure. So as long as I set the delay to 360-380 ms I'll get dotted eighths? I can't count in beats for nuts...thus my lack of certainty, despite what my ears seem to tell me.

14. wacopacco

wacopacco Member

very true. we could only be so lucky. nah even if i had the money/power, i'd still switch everything myself.

eh kinda sorta. depends on the song. Or you could just get some sort of delay with a tap tempo that has a triplet function (dl4, echo park) i'm sure theres TONS out there that do it. I just do it by sight/ear with my dmm.

15. KennethC

KennethC Member

I think I get what you mean - it depends on the tempo of the song, so there is no single fixed delay time setting that will give u dotted eighths. Yes?

I currently just tweak my G-system and DD20(for the other board). I can't seem to use the tap tempo function properly on the G-system for my dotted eights setting tho....it seems to jump to some funny delay time setting once I do that...

16. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I can nail it with:
    • DD-20 set to modualtion, which to me, sounds better than the DMM modultaion. Of course have the delays set to doted 8th and get the right tempo going.
    • Strat with some decent clear sounding pups set to the 2 position. I prefer the Maple necked Strats because they provide a little more "pop".
    • Vox or AC30 voiced amp would definitly help a lot. Something that has some decent cleans.
    • Probably the most important is having the right technique, chops, and using the right pick.

I was thinking of posting a vid clip on it because I'm a huge fan of that tone. We'll see...

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

I'd like to see the clips! And to your point, don't underestimate the importance of the right picks. It's a huge part of Edge and you can't get that chime without some grit...Herdims work best.

My DD20 always nailed that dotted-8th mod delay, but I was looking at the Timefactor for the flexibiity and presets (and programmable dual delay).

18. semi-hollowbody

semi-hollowbody Member

LINE 6 ECHO PARK HAS SETTING FOR THE DOTTED 8TH DELAY...excellent pedal...(sorry for the caps not shouting)

where can I get herdim picks? Or, what can I do to a typical pick to get similar tone as the herdims...I know they are dimpled an he uses the dimpled part to pick...

19. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Member

I ordered Herdims from here:

http://www.apollosaxes.com/herguitpic.html

The blue ones are the heavier, and even those are fairly light. Tried doing stuff to regular picks (roughing up, etc.), but nothing was as good as these.

20. 89strat

89strat Member

We do a couple of U2 Songs, one of which is Streets Have No Name (of course). I use the dd20 with the modulated setting at 350ms, blue herdim picks, and a strat in the 2nd position. I also use a tone press compressor in front of a clean sounding Deluxe Reverb. It sounds very good, but not nailing it. Can you share with us your exact settings for the dd-20 setting? I'm always looking to try something different.

Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread.

In response to the actual question, a general observation of mine is that I've had better luck with digital delays than analog for edge's sound. But most importantly is his strumming technique. Get his technique down and you'll sound good with pretty much any delay. Also, if you're using the seperate chorus and delay, try running the chorus after the delay. But remember, not too heavy on the chorus, you really just looking for a slightly effected repeat here.