For those that appreciate a "Dream Strat" .

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tonedrip, Jan 12, 2006.

1. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

2. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Man I wish I invested in Microsoft and the internet in the 80's and 90's instead of buying that IROC Z.............[​IMG]

3. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

I wonder if she's single (or widowed) ? I may propose to her before the auction ends , and hope the wife doesn't find out . :)

4. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

Not that I'm in the market for a $44K guitar, but I don't consider an ebay user with one positive feedback to be a good "background situation." I'll assume the best ... but if I were in the seller's position I would try to consign in through a known dealer with a good track record.

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

Looks like a nice one, if it's legit.

6. tone4days

tone4days Member

yeah, i wish all involved the best for a smooth, honest, and satisfying transaction ... but something just doesnt sit right with me on this one

t4d

7. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I hate to be cynical, but what makes this a clean background/owner situation?

8. Zamm Guitars

Zamm Guitars Silver Supporting Member

I wouldn't start bashing on this one unless you check it out in person, she requests local pickup only, how can you question that? If you are paying that kind of money you know what your looking at, I'm sure it will be inspected before being paid for.

9. Lution

Lution Member

wow, i live just a couple hours away from her......

/\ ponders breaking and entering.....:angel :FM

10. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

Who's bashing?

If anyone goes and checks it out, but sure to post back.

11. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

Any particulars ?

I dunno....alot of high bids with no flags up yet . By all accounts things seem to check out for these bidders ....

Anyway ...I just think it's a stunning piece... and hopefully legit .

12. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

If it's real, I'm sure it's worth a lot of scratch from a collector's perspective. That being said...I bought a '57 Strat that looked pretty much like that one--mint but the fretboard has some finish worn off here and there. I ultimately decided I didn't like the way it played or sounded. I've always had a hard time getting my brain to think of gear as an investment, so I just sold it a couple of years later and bought two guitars with the profits. I guess I regret selling it from a financial perspective but it just wasn't a great Strat IMO...

13. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Take a look at the verbage she uses when answering the 2nd question. It sure doesn't sound like the way a 70 + year old woman speaks.

It's a touch smelly to me.

14. tonedrip

tonedrip Member

The guitar is the thing that looks clean...the background seems ideal in the sense that the original owner is selling, with all the detailed history of the guitar and the owners personal story...as well as being female....yeah I know "stereo type" , but let's face it, I would bet it was looked after much better than most guys would of...I mean look at it !

15. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I was thinking along the lines of what Funky Chicken is driving at. I do hope that all is cool and someone enjoys it, just wanted to comment.

16. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    It looks almost too clean, but what do I know?
    Don't the plastic parts [pickup covers in particular] deteriorate over the years?

There are plenty of bids though, and if I was in the market for a vintage Strat and had $50K laying around, I'd sure as heck know every last detail about what I was looking at/for, so I would assume the bidders know what they're looking at.

17. dave s

dave s Member

I'm looking at the ad, the way its written, doing some quick math regarding the owner's age, etc.

If she bought the rig in '55 when she was say, 16 years old, the woman is 67 years old today.

The ad description lists all the 'buzzwords' we throw around like 'spaghetti logo,' 'single-ply white pickguard,' 'typical stratocaster electronics' and wonder how or why a 67 year old woman would understand or care about descriptive terms such as those.

Maybe somebody else wrote the ad text for her. Could be.

And the pics of the neck dating. I'm not sure my mom would know how to remove the neck on a strat and know to she should probably take a picture to prove the dating of the guitar.

Ok, I'm overly skeptical and the current bid price is just a tad outta reach of my savings account as it stands today.

dave

18. joel

joel Member

It's beautiful, like a fairy tale, I hope it's real!

19. tac5

tac5 Member

If it's legit, this guitar was kept in a temperature and humidity controlled vault and never played. It's too clean; the varnish on the headstock looks like it was sprayed yesterday. I'm probably completely wrong, but there's something not right about this guitar. And who buys a Strat in 1955 in hopes of becoming a "country" star?

20. exodus

exodus Member

hmmm.... the only thing that doesn't quite sit with me is the "crafted in Japan" decal on the back of the neck:D

Just kidding, it's an amazing looking guitar and amp. What do you think it will go for? $75-$80K?