For those that favor a Les Paul, is your sound clean or dirty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dnauhei, Jan 26, 2012.

Les Paul players, is your sound clean or dirty?

1. Clean

2. Dirty

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I am having a had time getting down with an LP. I am starting to wonder whether the love you so often see for these beasts if from players who are going for a different sound then me, ie dirty. I am a clean to low gain kinda guy and the LP just doesn't work that well for me. So why do so many guys love em? Is it more for their dirty work than their clean? Take the poll and share your opinion.

2. DRS

DRS Member

They can play clean with the right amp. I find I spend 90% on the bridge pup and roll off the tone for warmer rhythm work. The neck (Seth Lover) is great for flutey leads but even with a clean amp, the neck pup is too muddy. I was about to go on a quest for a neck pup and try the new Lollar El Rayo or maybe a Kinman or TV Jones Classic but in the end, I just bought a Gretsch G5120.

3. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

They, I have suspected the issue is that the Tweaker does not pair well for a clean LP sound. What does?

4. b2sc

b2sc Member

Dirty, Dirty, dirty. The dirtier, the better these LPs sound. I could never get a great clean sound that I like out of the many LPs I own/have owned and chalk it up to the nature of the beast. (although I realize many can get great clean sounds, I just cant').

Ironically, I can't get a decent dirty sound that I like out of a Strat but think they have the most wonderful clean tones.

But I don't play my LPs though a Twin Reverb, and don't play the Strats though my VHTs. I tried but it just doesn't work for me...

5. mbargav

mbargav Member

You should try an LP with PAF style pickups through one of the bigger Tweeds like a Pro or a Twin. Incredible cleans. FWIW, I play an LP (with Throbak SLE-101s) and an SG (WCR Godwoods) a lot, and rarely play dirty.

6. street

street Member

clean thru a Deluxe Reverb is great.

7. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

They can sound awesome clean, I just have to keep searching for the sound.... but I usually play with gain. I have a Bandmaster blackface that i just got and a tiny terror, lol, best of both worlds. Might I suggest a foray into the dark side of dirt? haha I don't even play real LP's but I have Guitarforce and Antiquities in each one and they just give and give.

8. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

I have a Traditional Pro and it sounds good clean or dirty. I play both ways depending on the song. For some reason though I like the sound of single coils better for overdrive. For distortion, humbuckers no contest (for me). Lately though I have been listening to guitars with PAFs and Filtertrons and I understand why people love them so much for cleans; great sparkly cleans.

9. DavidMgT

DavidMgT Member

I spend time playing clean, dirty, ultra crazy processed and all places in-between - my Gibson Les Paul sounds great in all of those instance.

10. telest

telest Member

Clean, dirty and everywhere in between.

11. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

Try a Tele; you will thank me later. I have had tons of guitars and if you like the clean sound of a Les Paul, you will love the sound of a clean Tele. I have a cheap Squier Affinity Tele that I modded by gutting the electronics and pickups (pots; changed to 250K to get rid of some of the brightness, the switch, and shielded wiring plus shielded the cavities with copper foil with adhesive backing from www.monteallums.com), saddles (now has Graphtechs) and put some Dimarzio Areas in (Hot T and neck T) and it sounds as good as any of the higher end Teles I've picked up except for the higher dollar American Deluxes which sound better because of the neck IMO. The body and finish look and feel great; the neck is a little cheap but completely functional but what should you expect for a $179 guitar...lol If I covered the headstock and let you play it you'd never know except for the neck which is a giveaway (it's really not as bad as I make it out; it's just that I'm used to the necks on those $1800 guitars)

12. papersoul

papersoul Member

13. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

both, but I voted clean...the mid setting is great thru my setup.

14. guitarz1972

guitarz1972 Member

Same here. Generally, for playing in a live setting I'll set my sound "dirty" and use my volume knobs to roll-back to clean/hairy clean. Here's a trick if you haven't tried it: set your bridge volume full-on, roll-back your rhythm pup's volume (or vice versa); that way, you've got basically a clean tone and a lead/dirty tone by flicking your pickup switch. Usually works well for me.

But check YouTube, there are great videos of guys that get great clean tones from a Les Paul.

15. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

Do Gibson 57 classics count?

16. mbargav

mbargav Member

Those are awesome too. Try messing with the pole pieces on the neck pickup some. IMO, they're a bit muddy the way they come from the factory, and adjusting the pole pieces can get you a much clearer sound.

17. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Strats, Teles, Gretchs, 335, etc. all sound better clean than a Les Paul. A Les Paul needs to be singing (cranked) to sound good imho.

18. axiology

axiology Member

Both.....
    An LP will sound like **** clean, if the pickups are too close to the strings!!

19. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

A good Paul will sound good both crystal clean and way dirty, and all shades in between. However it has to be a good one to do this. Many Norlins I have played would not sound good clean no matter what was done, but most LP's of any era will sound good dirty.

20. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

I does either one and all colors in between if you have some good PAF style pickups.

490s... not so much.