For those that own or have played the Openhaus AND Dove...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chrissy, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

I have an OpenHaus. I had one of the early versions and didn't like it at all - too much gain, too much noise, too much low bass and not enough clean-up.

Ed R. recently modded it and I am very impressed with how it turned out. The clean up factor is now excellent, the new voicing has no excess low bass and the lower gain factor is much more useful to me. (FWIW I still find it quite noisy and it seems part of the design that there is a high noise floor even if the gain is set low.)

Since I still don't need to set the gain on my Openhaus any higher than 12:00 or 01:00 I am wondering if the Dove would be more my thing. I like the tight sound of the OpenHaus (I use the C or S position mostly) and think it has a very nice thick tone on single notes whilst still having chord clarity on gainy tones.

For those that know both, can you attempt to describe the differences in tone and feel. I know the Dove is not simply a low gain Openhaus so I want some input on what I am giving up and what I am gaining if I do the switch. What is the difference in the voicing? Does it clean up as well as the OH? What eq differences are you hearing?

Many thanks!
    Chris

2. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Hey Chris,
    They are very different pedal for sure. The Dove is definitely in the overdrive camp and not a distortion though it does have quite a lot of gain if one wants. It has a fatter sound that cuts a little better. With a lespaul is sounds really fat and tubey. I think it out dumbles a lot of the dumble pedals out there in terms of feel and sound. It is the most amp like pedal I have ever played.

The Dove sounds more open than the Openhaus (no pun intended) and is much more quiet. It has great clean up especially on the C and S settings.
    It has more mids than the Openhaus in terms of EQ and is rounder in tonality.

Though you can set it for a very dumble like drive it also excels at more rock or hard rock tones. It can't really do heavy metal but can do stuff like Lenny Kravitz, Gary Moore, or even Joe Bonamassa tones. It definitely can get some of that Robben Ford vibe for sure. It's a great pedal.

3. Chrissy

Chrissy Member

Thanks for the helpful info...

...keep it coming guys! :)

Chris

4. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Yeah, you'd probably like the Dove more. It can actually get you into distortion territory if you want it to and it's quieter than the Openhaus. I have both pedals on my board right now.

5. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

+1 on everything Arun said (didn't know you've owned both, man!)...
    I dig both alot, but if I had to pick one, I'd go w/ the Dove based on the tremendous amount of feel and tubyness that it can provide.

6. Grady

Grady Windjammer Gold Supporting Member

Chrissy I'm glad that you brought this subject up.
    I think I was in on the first run of the Openhaus. #30 here.
    I sent Ed an email on the Openhaus after I played it for awhile. Stating how great the pedal was, but a little on the noisey side. He said that he had a mod for it to lower the noise floor. But I have not been in touch with Ed since.
    What I was afraid of was, that it would loose some of it's dynamics. Through a good clean amp this pedal made my strats...MONSTERS. I love the pedal in the original form.
    It's hard to realize how the Dove can be more open than the Openhaus. This just makes me want one, that much more.
    I guess GAS has been reborn for the Dove. I just wished I pulled the trigger at the first of the year.

7. Clorox

Clorox Member

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but can the Dove do garage rock tones? I want something thicker and beefier, ala Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

8. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I'd say anyone really into the "garage" rock scene isn't looking at $400 overdrives to get their sound.

9. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

+1 Basic audio pedals really do those sounds well but the openhaus will do a very nice JMP tone if you tweak it right.

10. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

Yes, the Openhaus and Dove can cop the garage rock tones you are seeking, at least the way I have them set up.

Yes, you can find the same 'Garage Rock tones' in other pedals. Find what you like and use it.

It doesn't matter whether you use a $400 Dove, or $85 Boss OD-3, all that matters is what you like and what you want to create.