For those that record clips....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Jan 8, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

...what do you use!?

I posted this question in the recording section, but i'd be interested in the feedback from those like me; a guitarist (only) needing some inexpensive way to digitally record.

I used to record short grooves/jams (mainly to get them down so i wouldn't forget) and occasionally an acoustic tune with a couple of vocal tracks to my old analog tascam 4 track. Obviously, this medium left something to be desired.

I am not currently playing with a band, and I am interested in an inexpensive way to record the groove/jams that i write, and occasionally an acoustic tune with a couple of vocal tracks, and eventually burn them to disc or upload them. Additionally, i would like to use this to record pedal clips to post for all to hear!

I have little to no recording knowledge, and even less when it comes to computer recording (perhaps a standalone unit that i can dump to the computer?).

I sold all of my old "recording" setup, and all i have right now is a Shure SM58 and my laptop (a Dell Inspiron 8600, 80 gig HD, 1 gig RAM)...

Any advice would be great. I'm not looking for anything rediculous, but something i can use to make some decent recording of my stuff to share with friends...

Thanks,
    Brian

2. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

Consider the M-Audio Black Box? An Adrenalinn II with a USB interface for recording to your computer, has an XLR input so you can record clips via mic instead of using the amp models.

3. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Well theres plenty of variance in whats considered "inexpensive" but here are a few suggestions:

Digi 002R - you can expand up to 18 channels at once, firewire so you can run it at low latency (if your playing guitar through it you will really appreciate that), comes with protools le, and you get a bunch of software, including BFD lite, which is a very realistic drum "machine" (but its so much more than that). You can certainly use this and shuffle tracks b/t a major studio and your home.

M-audio firewire interfaces - get it with the M-Powered protools le, cheaper alternative.

Maybe that Mackie Traction thing, since it is an interface + software too.

4. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i have a presonus firepod. it's a very good value considering how much it can do, i've recorded 4 full albums with it. Drums and everything, i'm working on a new cd right now, and i'll post some of the songs when it's done.

5. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I've got my Presonus Inspire since last week : 2 good mic preamps, line ins, a bunch of software, all for €240.

Jan

6. Swain

Swain Member

I've got an M-Audio Oxygen. It's a small keyboard controller. It also has instrument, AND an XLR input. It comes with basic recording software. The keyboard is great for programming backing tracks. A+++

There is also a Line 6 thing for about $120-150. It is supposed to be pretty cool.

7. theHoss

theHoss Member

I use GarageBand that came with my MAC, and the MAudio Fast Track USB interface. MAC's I am finding are much better than PCs in the ease of use and stability category, and GarageBand is also very easy to use. A bit more limited that ProTools, but quick and easy to get a good thing going.

8. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I have a very basic setup. I just mic my amp with a SM57 and run that directly into the mic input of my laptop...have to use a XLR to 1/4 adapter and a 1/4 to 1/8 adapter to run the XLR mic cable but those are like $3 at Radio Shack. Oh, and I use Goldwave (free recording software).

9. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

11. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

So I've done a bit of searching. How do others feel about the Black Box? Compared to some of the other M-Audio stuff (? I should have clarified that i'd like to get a complete little setup (a Mic and interface) for around $500.

The firewire stuff looks sweet, and obviously faster, but certainly more expensive. How about the fast track or fast track pro vs the Black box?

Hw does this compare to the similar Presonus or Line 6 stuff? I really like the M-audio stuff, but would love some inpout from those that actually use this stuff already....

Brian

12. capnbringdown

capnbringdown Member

I've heard those art mic pre-amps really suck. That same person told me to get a m-audio audio buddy if I was going to go that route. Instead, I just use my magic stomp straight into the computer, probably not exactly what you're looking for but it gets the job done.

13. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I've been looking at the M-Audio dmp3. It gets great reviews and isn't very expensive.

14. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

Theres more to it than the mic pres, you also have to consider converters...

m-audio is kinda like the low-end digidesign now (since they own it)

presonus overall makes pretty good stuff.

If you want to use pro tools get a firewire m-audio interface and you'll be set.

If you don't want to use pro tools, buy a presonus interface.

Don't buy the art pre. Stick with whats in the interface for now.