For those that use pedal dirt into a clean headroom amp, what do you use for solo boost?

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
I currently use a Moog MF Drive to handle this mission (after my od). I'm not looking to push my amp into breakup. I currently dial in a "just breaking up" tone with my dirt pedals. I am looking for something I can step on as a boost to get more volume and sustain for leads/solos without muddy or annoying coloration after my OD pedal.

grimlyflick

Spark Boost after a Kalamazoo dialled in for low gain overdrive for volume boost, Dyna Comp for sustain and fattening up leads before.

Or I use an Eternity E6 set to low gain with a Red Witch Grace for solo boost on my mini board.

Average Joe

Any number of things. My main drive is the three button Carl Martin Plexitone. I use any of the following after the CM, usually one method for a couple of months and then I change it up:

The guitar volume
A tubescreamer
A RAT (Low gain setting)
An Analogman Orange Squeezer
The boost built into the CM

The choice largely depend on how much, and what kind of, colouration I want with my boost.

Jeric

One of the largest volume boosts I've ever gotten was through an EHX Soul Food. Great pedal since it's so versatile.

That said, if you want a one trick pony, I'd recommend either a JHS Prestige, TC Spark Mini, or a T1M Solo Boost.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
volume knob. I dial in my rhythm tone with the volume back and then roll it forward for solos (of which, I take few).
I do this as well. Some songs don't lend to doing that quick enough, which is why I wanted a pedal.

voodoochili12

I stack a King of Tone on top of an ARC Klone, and switch on an EP Pre for slightly 'more' - just a hair extra volume and saturation. Don't see this setup ever changing.

charley

Gold Supporting Member
I like the MF Drive paired with the MF Boost. It really warms things up in a great way as well as boosting volume!

DaveKS

Well what your doing with another drive stacked after your current drive (cascading gain stages) is how I would attack it, but trick is using a 2nd pedal that doesn't take you to far away from the 1st pedals tone. Usually the more advanced the EQ section the better, say a TC Spark Boost in flat or mid boost mode with a little drive rolled in. Whenever you boost, to me it always requires some EQ tailoring to go with it. Usually cut in bass and boost mids a bit.

If that's not enough sustain, you should probably look at a optical comp. I use a VFE White Horse after drives for this. A little MOSFET preamp gain, a little optical comp, use a little bass cut to keep it tight and snappy then blend that with the dry sound. Then master level is last in line to bring up vol to what you need.

You'll see when he kicks it on about :40 his overall tone doesn't change a lot, just lingers a bit longer, then further in when he dials it in you'll hear it start this singing sustain. Get just right and it will sustain till you stop it

PatrickE_FenderADV

Silver Supporting Member
Wampler Tumnus or a Keeley Phat BD2. Both with the gain down and volume up. Each adds its own thing to solos. Both stack nicely with other dirt pedals. I flip them, sometimes the BD2 is last and sometimes the Tumnus is last. I really can't decide which is better. You can add the tiniest bit of hair to either for sustain and dynamics.

Last edited:

Blues Lyne

If you want to add more dirt and sustain, a boost before your dirt pedal could work. If you definitely want something to place after your dirt pedal to add volume or sustain, you'll need another OD pedal or compressor. Which one would depend on what works with your rig and what you want the end result to sound like. The OD would add more dirt to get added sustain and the compressor could do it without adding more dirt.

If you want to just boost and sustain without adding dirt, something like the Bearfoot Evergreen Compressor might get you there. I have the Pale Green Compressor and love it. It sounds very natural, definitely not muddy, and can add some natural sounding sustain. The Evergreen Compressor is capable of more compression and sustain, but still sounds pretty natural.

I have a slightly dirty germanium boost in front of my dirt pedal for when I want a lead boost that pushes the pedal, and a fat sounding clean boost after my dirt pedal for when I just want a volume boost. My dirt pedal is a Kingsley Jouster, so I have the second channel dialed in for a higher gain, sustained lead sound. I have the PGC on all the time to get some of the amp compression I'm missing by not turning my amp up higher.

broken_sound

Silver Supporting Member
I've always used a tube screamer. Currently running a Cusack Screamer V2. More upper mids, volume boost, and the added compression cut straight through mix like a hot knife.

LordByron

The Dude abides!
Let me start by admitting that I have a serious OD/Boost pedal addiction, so be forewarned.

I have been playing around with stacking different types of pedals in different order to get different effects. I have got a number of dual channel overdrive pedals, including a Camel Toe clone, a Jetter Dual Jet, and a custom designed Resuggan Audio BluesBreaker>Rangemaster clone. In addition I've got a Janglebox Nano (compressor on one side, trebble booster on the other), a Klone, an Xotic EP boost, and a Stymon Deco, which has a great "Saturation" channel which serves as a fantastic warm boost/tone thickener. Which combination of the above depends a lot on the guitar I am playing and the style of music.

The two trebble bosters (one early in the chain, the other in the middle) give a great, sweet boost to humbuckers that really help them cut through the mix by accentuating the high-end frequencies. Which one of the Trebble Boosters I use (I almost never have both engaged), though, depends on which combination of OD pedals I'm using at the time. The Resuggan Audio custom is probably my favorite drive/boost combo for HBs right now.

For Strats and Teles, I like either the EP Boost or the Saturation Chanel of the Deco (or both) as it warms the single coils and gives them a lower-mid bump and a really nice singing grind.

For P-90s or fidelitrons/dynasonics or Rickenbacker single coils, I am liking using the Green Rhino half of the Camel Toe and then kicking in the Red Llama for a boost. If I really need a bigger boost, I will also kick in my Clone (set to about 10am drive and 12pm volume) out in front of the Camel Toe to really kick up the amps. Also good for the beefier single coils is the Jetter Double Jet. First channel for "edge of breakup" and kicking in the second channel to kick it up over the edge.

Last edited:

phazersonstun

Along with the guitars volume knob, the dirt pedals I use into a clean amp get stacked to the desired level of gain / sustain I want for a particular part. EQ pedal gets used as a mids forward clean boost to raise volume level for leads.

I'm a fan of being able to raise volume live independent of my dirt level.

Trending Topics