For those who don't play out, what inspires you to keep playing?

Dr. Tranquilo

For me, I used to play out regularly but over time it became impossible to commit to live playing due to my career, so in recent years I'd mainly go to jam sessions to scratch that itch. I feel those sessions really gave me a push in the pursuit of becoming a better player/musician, which for a while was very inspiring.

However, with Covid disrupting everything for the foreseeable future, plus the fact that my local jams were becoming stale before lockdown anyway (e.g. playing with the same people who've exhausted the same licks and the same songs over and over), it has caused me to sit back and think of other ways to find inspiration to play or other avenues to go down creatively.

Obviously playing guitar is a gift in itself and it's great for general happiness, wellbeing, and so on, so I'm eager to hear those takes as well to consolidate that idea. But I guess in short, I'm just interested to see other perspectives that I may never have considered before, especially when a lot of us are in the same boat where it's not possible to play out currently.

TL;DR

I discovered recording and sub-forums like the "member's video/music" one on here. I no longer have the desire to gig, but I like interacting with other musicians. I record crap and spam it into the video forum for feedback, then listen to some really amazing players providing me free music/inspiration in a million different styles.

ZeyerGTR

I used to do a lot of gigs with various bands 15-20 years ago, but haven't in a while. Work, family, etc. I really enjoyed it and would like to be in a band again at some point. While gigging and being in bands was fun and I learned a lot, it was also a hassle... especially on the personnel side. I never made that much money, so while the extra cash was nice it wasn't the real motivation for gigging.

What has inspired me since is writing, learning, playing. I play every day, at last 15 minutes. Mostly guitar, but I've been learning drums the last couple of years and that's been invigorating. Writing songs, recording, learning new songs, techniques, concepts... it's a constant opportunity to learn. I love music and love the instrument. It's my therapy, my meditation, my "me" time. It's fun, so I keep doing it. There's an endless stream of things to learn. You can never master music, let alone one instrument, so it's just as engaging now as when I first picked up the guitar decades ago.

Losov

I know guys who will not touch an instrument unless there is a gig on the horizon. That, I don’t get, but there ya are. Me, I play every day.

Our acoustic group, not having played a gig in months, set up our gear on the deck of a friend’s lakeside boat house and played to a floating audience for a couple of hours. Lotta fun.

radicool

I like music, and I like making music, so I do. It's an amazing thing to be able to do, and I think a lot of us take it for granted. I know I have at times, but I try not to ever get jaded about it. There is nothing - not one single thing - that I couldn't play better. As long as that is true, I'll have all the inspiration I need. I'm never going to be a great player, either, but that's not the real point. Joy is the point, and music gives me that.

talonmm

I enjoy it. I once asked some gulf nut what he gets out of it and he said . You play against others , you play against yourself and you play against the course all at once ...maybe playing instruments kinda resembles that
Yes, you are correct, but I would like to add another. When I play with a band, I try and help my band-mates succeed by helping them anyway I can. So besides the three things you mentioned, I'd like to add, that in a band, you are a team, and you are there to help your bandmates be the best the team can be.

Dr. Tranquilo

Nothing.

If I wasn't playing out regularly I would very likely stop playing altogether.

I NEED to have a project to keep me going. :dunno
I'm sort of like this in terms of needing something to do, just not necessarily gigging. Might be worth seeing what other people say in this thread ;)

I discovered recording and sub-forums like the "member's video/music" one on here. I no longer have the desire to gig, but I like interacting with other musicians. I record crap and spam it into the video forum for feedback, then listen to some really amazing players providing me free music/inspiration in a million different styles.
Love this idea, what do you do with the feedback? Do you change what you've recorded and then release it somewhere?

BTW for everyone else that has contributed so far, I've really enjoyed reading this thread already and it's only an hour or so old. It's genuinely useful stuff, so thanks.

Astronaut FX

The composition aspect of music has always had a much bigger appeal for me than the performance aspect. I don’t need an audience to inspire me to create and record original music, and quite frankly, I don’t really care if anyone ever hears any of it.

I know that concept will seem really foreign to many here, but to help explain it, for me it’s the musical equivalent of drawing in a sketchbook that no one ever sees or writing in a journal that no one ever reads. It’s just something I need to do for me.

ctreitzell

Yep, love of music. My sanity depends upon it. I gigged an awful lot 1990 thru 1995. And had roadied, stage hand, FOH from 1984-1989. Always all original music with very occasional covers not nfn.

I got fed up with lugging gear and load in load out. In that era it was pay to play and I really was only ever going into debt. I also got disenchanted with audiences. I have no interest in delivering what the audience "thinks" they want to hear. I found myself with a very pretentious attitude where I felt the audience doesn't deserve my effort. So I stopped playing for "them" and have continued to play for me. In 1998 I stopped creating anything with vocals and have gone all instrumental.

Nowadays I just like learning new things and building on that knowledge with which to create (especially technical things like SysEx and or a deep understanding of midi or audio forensics).

I am getting to a point where I'd like to start playing with others again with occasional gigs in mind...no money chasing, just for the love of the art form and immersion in sound.

Trending Topics