• Supporting Membership Changes

The Supporting Memberships are currently being updated moving forward.

In order to coordinate giveaway drawings to the Supporting Members there will be a new alignment in the naming of the tiers. (Note: Non-Supporting (Basic) and Monthly Supporting Members can get into the drawings by mailing a postcard. Details on that will follow with a giveaway starting soon).

The pricing for each Supporting Membership level remains the same though the naming of them will change. The privileges remain the same as current but with the new name. If you are a current Supporting Member, you will be upgraded automatically for the existing term of your Supporting Membership. We are introducing a new tier with new perks.

Table here

Supporting Membership Guide

• Monthly Supporting Members will remain Supporting Members
    • Current annual Supporting Members will now be Silver Supporting Members. Perks and permissions remain the same
    • Current Silver Supporting Members will now be Gold Supporting Members
    • Current Gold Supporting Members will now be Platinum Supporting Members
    • A new level will be created - Double Platinum Supporting Members

All memberships will now have the option to remain as non-recurring memberships or choose reccuring memberships moving forward. *Note: current memberships will NOT be changed to recurring memberships.

For those who don't play out, what inspires you to keep playing?

GulfportBound

I keep playing and writing looking forward to the end of this pandemic when I can think of playing with others again.

I've played guitar off and on for 50 years starting when I was a teenager. (yeah, I'm old!:p)
I have always played solo guitar, and never had any desire to be in a band or to entertain an audience. And that's a good thing, because probably no one would like the the ambient music that I write except me!

RolandKorg

Supporting Member
[The idea/objective of] Writing/creating songs.
The challenge of becoming a decent player.
The challenge of learning how to do something that has intimidated me for 40 years (leads).
The challenge of creating the sound in my head and/or specific tones by my heroes/inspirations.
Love of the gear and it’s designs.
A compulsion try to Do the things that I love rather than just appreciate them from the outside.
Masochism.

gonzoknife

In lockdown it's been classical guitar (I got a degree in it many years ago). I picked up an electric yesterday for the first time in over a week. I noodled a bit but the motivation wasn't there. For me, electric is associated with playing in bands and gigs. I'm sure I'll get back into it when playing with others becomes viable again. Until then, I'm getting my classical chops back and building a repertoire.

sahhas

Supporting Member
playing amuses me, challenges me, is fun and I like it.
and a number of things that others have said.
I used to and still occasionally write songs, which is fun, but i think it's hard and a challenge.
i did one open mic nite back in '06, played my songs I wrote for 25 min. boy that was hard to do as an introvert.
when I got done, and i think it went ok, i realized that I would never be someone like DLR-who is an extrovert and loves the spotlight....
I also always think of the thing that David Torn has said, is to focus on "playing music" and not "playing guitar"....that has been my mantra for a long while now....something to shoot for.....but I will say , that I still like to make noise!!!!

I know guys who will not touch an instrument unless there is a gig on the horizon.
Yep - I used to play with a drummer who was like that. He only played when the band rehearsed or gigged, even though the rehearsal room was only a five minutes walk from his home.

I never liked gigging or playing out, or even playing with others.
I love music, I love writing, studying, recording it.
Don't even need a guitar. Love writing parts for other instruments. Just music :)

Edit: However, I did spend around 12 years of continuous live playing. From original material, to corporate gigs, etc. Good money, but every gig was a chore, more than enjoying the music.

Last edited:

Robert Libutti

Supporting Member
Fun way to unwind. The tonez; I mean, guitar just sounds awesome. And with the wealth of constant new gear, it's just fun to try new things. Even writing stupid little tunes with EZ Drummer is fun. I'll do that, find a groove I like, let EZ Drummer create a song, then write guitar to it. Spend...5-6 hours putting together a track from scratch, never to be heard again. It's fun.

HomeInMyShoes

I've played guitar off and on for 50 years starting when I was a teenager. (yeah, I'm old!:p)
I have always played solo guitar, and never had any desire to be in a band or to entertain an audience. And that's a good thing, because probably no one would like the the ambient music that I write except me!
I might. I've been on a weird dual delay with dual reverb kick recently. I still goof around with riff-rock things and grooves, but ambient is becoming part of my routine.

Dr. Tranquilo

The passion in some of these responses is actually really humbling to hear - in a lot of ways - and it's something I think I needed to hear so thank you all. I'll never forget to be thankful for the gift of playing, but sometimes I think people can get so bogged down when playing music for various reasons that it stops us from seeing the bigger picture. That is, ultimately we play because it makes us feel, and if we don't feel then what is the point?

I guess as I'd alluded to in the original post, my situation before covid had me feeling nothing much (covid was just the final nail in the coffin) hence the need for a new creative outlet. Usually I love to share the experience of playing music with others but I guess I'd forgotten that it can also be fulfilling to play solo if done in the right way. I'm really interested in some of the ideas regarding YouTube and the like, so keep them coming :)

tapeworm

Still trying to figure that out. I mean, if I’m not playing live music I have very little desire to just play around the house. Lately, though, my motivation has been my daughter. She is almost 1 and loves when I play guitar for her. So, I have been using this time to play more acoustic and learn a lot of little, basic tunes to play for her. Once I get to the point where she doesn’t care and if I’m not back to playing out at that time then I’ll likely just give it up.

Last edited:

meterman

I just enjoy it and get a good sense of accomplishment when I learn something new. It's cathartic, I'd probably go nuts without it. I gigged 1-2x a month for the past few years and have a love/hate thing with it, but improvising over a loop or working on a new song never gets old. Home recording is the way to go for me right now.

Dr. Tranquilo

I just enjoy it and get a good sense of accomplishment when I learn something new. It's cathartic, I'd probably go nuts without it. I gigged 1-2x a month for the past few years and have a love/hate thing with it, but improvising over a loop or working on a new song never gets old. Home recording is the way to go for me right now.
What do you think you'll do with those recordings when they're done?

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'll admit that it's difficult to maintain my motivation if I'm not gigging. However, as my focus continues to move toward recording, that has renewed my ability to stay motivated; especially good now that COVID has caused me to cancel all of my gigs for the foreseeable future.

hookakat1

I'm 46 and I've been playing since I was 15. I haven't played in an actual 'band' since I was in my 20s but I've jammed on and off with people my entire life but as I've gotten older I find there are fewer and fewer people my age who still enjoying playing and who are into the same music(s) I am so I find myself playing alone more and more. I miss playing with a drummer a lot but I can still kind of be amazed by what even someone with my limited skills can do with a simple guitar, amp and effects. I mean, to this day, when i hear myself really nail something like South Of Heaven by Slayer, which I've been playing for decades now, can still make the hairs on my arm raise. Or when I finally nail a technical thing that has always given me problems until then, I feel like I've accomplished something. Basically, music is still truly magical to me and it pleases me that I can even pull a quarter out of a kid's ear.

Kevy_Metal

For me, I used to play out regularly but over time it became impossible to commit to live playing due to my career, so in recent years I'd mainly go to jam sessions to scratch that itch. I feel those sessions really gave me a push in the pursuit of becoming a better player/musician, which for a while was very inspiring.

However, with Covid disrupting everything for the foreseeable future, plus the fact that my local jams were becoming stale before lockdown anyway (e.g. playing with the same people who've exhausted the same licks and the same songs over and over), it has caused me to sit back and think of other ways to find inspiration to play or other avenues to go down creatively.

Obviously playing guitar is a gift in itself and it's great for general happiness, wellbeing, and so on, so I'm eager to hear those takes as well to consolidate that idea. But I guess in short, I'm just interested to see other perspectives that I may never have considered before, especially when a lot of us are in the same boat where it's not possible to play out currently.

I'm used to not playing out regularly, other than the bi-weekly band rehearals/jam sessions our group was doing for three years. Our singer moved just before quarantine and I had also hooked up with a new band of musicians mere days before everything shut down.

What keeps me going is that I still love to play (going on 35 years) and I love what I'm hearing. The things that I've been learning over the past couple of years have been inspirational and it keeps me motivated to keep playing.

There were short periods within the first two weeks of quarantine where I got too inside my head and started to wonder if I even felt like playing, but I pushed ahead and made the time whenever I could. Also, taking a break for a few days to recharge does wonders.

sandcastle

I used to be in bands every now and then when time allowed and I got lucky. Eventually age and responsibilities have caught up with me. I have not jammed with anyone since last year, the virus has made sure of that. These days I hardly pick up the guitar. :( I'm sure when this 'passes' I'll get back into it.