For those who don't play out, what inspires you to keep playing?

I don't see what's so mysterious about people making music at home for their own enjoyment. I mean, you wouldn't ask piano owners why they play the piano even if they're not concert pianists.

Lt Dak

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't played out in a few years. I miss a few things about it, but by and large there's more that I don't miss.

I keep playing because I love music and I love guitars. I love looking at them, the tactile part of playing. I love sound. I "live in my head", and the instrument quiets or shuts that off. The "off switch" is something I need.

Guitars and music give me joy.

squeally dan

I gig in a wedding band fairly regularly and I’m really sick of it. It’s a lot of work and some travel. I occasionally play with my instrumental band mostly in breweries and more laid back places. The gigs don’t pay as much as the weddings but they are typically shorter, earlier than playing true clubs, and since we are background we can play whatever the hell we want.

Having said all that, I’ve noticed that as I get older I’d prefer to hang out with friends or family on Saturday night than deal with the ******** that goes in to wedding gigs. I’m really finding more joy in practicing and writing music. I’ll be 50 in a year.

Gforce013

Silver Supporting Member
After doing about 23 years of playing out sometimes 4 nights an week , im just happy to be at home playing what I want to play without any dead lines or stress of being in a working band. For me the last couple years i play to relax. Maybe after this covid crap I’ll start playing out again. Playing out jazz at wasn’t the same anymore for me , less clubs are open , more people are on their phones then dancing and the pay was going down. Around here all the good clubs with the good stages and lights and sound systems have all closed down and playing in a small bar without a stage just wasn’t the same. I’m glad i stepped out of it for a bit. It’s been relaxing.

JiveJust

I went to college in my 40s for Audio Engineering. Now I can properly record myself and my mixes are good and getting better all the time. Hearing a song that I wrote, arranged and played all the instruments on is what keeps me going.

The more songs I record, the more ideas for guitar I need to come up with because it’s in my nature to want to do something different each time.

So I suggest recording yourself playing to a loop or beat even if only to gauge your progress on the instrument.

Bohunk

Silver Supporting Member
EEGs show nothing lights up both hemispheres of the brain like playing music. That is why it is so much easier to remember song lyrics than other written or spoken word formats. I find that when things are working for me musically, they are typically working on all fronts. Taking a break and playing guitar for 15 minutes may not fix the issues with work but they certainly help me approach those issues with a better attitude.

My kids told me one of their fondest memories growing up was listening to me play guitar in my room when they went to bed. I had no idea. I am now taking jazz guitar lessons with my Son and we get to develop this together.

I grew up around a few artisans and so have an appreciation for things like a guitar simply for the art of the instrument itself, before a note is ever played. This can apply to pedals, too. As Robert Pirsig put it in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the Buddha resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower.

It’s enough.

sahhas

Silver Supporting Member
one thing that keeps me going is I keep building new guitars:

you build them, you gotta play them!!!
this is early state of newest guitar that I started in Apr, 2019....it's changed a bit, different pickups, after 3 attempts got the wiring done correct, and i reworked the neck (shaved it down a bit), and got the frets in decent shape.....

James_Gang

I'm in a gigging band and I do miss playing with my bandmates and the gigs. I'm definitely and everyday player so during this unfortunate break I've been writing more and learning/working on my technique, especially for other styles I don't play with the band. I wish I had some recording equipment, I would love to get more of my songs recorded and mixed.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I just turned 65 and I am still in a band.

We play a mix of original material and covers, but mostly original.

I played in mostly cover bands since high school. The live music scene has changed quite a bit over that time, but I still enjoy playing.

The band I'm in rehearses and records weekly, but we only play about 6-8 gig a year... and obviously less at the moment. We've recorded 8 tunes during the pandemic and they're being mastered now.

Since I've played a ton of club gigs over the years, I'm now enjoying rehearsing and recording original material much more than I would playing mostly club gigs again.

I'm not sure how much I'd pick up the guitar if I wasn't in a band at all, but I won't ever stop playing totally.

Last edited:

motokev

-The challenge of learning music from my favorites like Hendrix, Pink Floyd, SRV, Zeppelin, Beatles and sooo on.

-The challenge of making my own music.

I never had the desire to play in a band. I enjoy my alone time with my guitar, amp and pedals, nothing makes me happier.

Last edited:

Norm N Playin

I don't see what's so mysterious about people making music at home for their own enjoyment. I mean, you wouldn't ask piano owners why they play the piano even if they're not concert pianists.
IF you DID ask a non-concert-playing piano owner why they play... they would gesture widely toward their living room at the mountainous piece of furniture with the keys on it and say, "Because it's there."
...then ...they would smack you on the head with a John Thompson!

That's John Thompson... not John Thomas.

Last edited:

meterman

What do you think you'll do with those recordings when they're done?
Honestly, probably nothing. Might play them for a few people or maybe put something online at some point. I'm just taking the opportunity to improve my recording and mixing skills which is something I've always wanted to do. I like the concreteness and creativity of it vs the mostly cover bar gigs I was doing and it's something I can see myself doing forever, unlike gigging. Eventually I'd like to get good enough to record other people as well.

trouw2112

Silver Supporting Member

-The challenge of learning music from my favorites like Hendrix, Pink Floyd, SRV, Zeppelin, Beatles and sooo on.

-The challenge of making my own music.

I never had the desire to play in a band.
Pretty much this. It also keeps me out of the bars where trouble seems to find me. My wife likes that part.

Lonnie00

My pleasure with guitars comes not from playing but from buying/selling/trading/ but most of all tinkering. I love to work on guitars. Taking dirty and abused ones and cleaning them up, upgrading parts etc. I've been in the hobby for almost 20 years now and have literally been through a thousand guitars. I don't do it for money but I do make money at it, most guys can't say their hobby is also profitable. I've said a half dozen times that I'm done with it but I always get drawn right back in. I've just about stopped fighting it.

Trending Topics