• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

For those who have played 30+ years

Lephty

When I was younger I had kind of an ego, and a lot of pre-conceived notions of what kinds of music were "cool" and what weren't. I'd say to a younger player to lose any shred of an ego, and go into every musical situation with an open mind.

I would also suggest spending a lot of time writing music, because that is a craft that takes a long time to get good at. Might as well get an early start on it!

Russ73

definitely learn to sing, but I wish I would have learned more songs in other genres to see how the jazz guys composed etc....

ZeyerGTR

Practice way more when you had the time, and focus when you do practice. Use your ears way more and have patience. It's okay if you have to listen to a part 30 times to 'get it'. Heck, it's okay if you have to listen 100 times. Just use your ear.

Also, buy a metronome and use it. You thought you had a good sense of rhythm and timing... but you didn't.

Oh, and vibrato doesn't just magically sprint out of the air. You have to actively make it good.

The list could probably go on forever...

jkg

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Honestly I would not change a thing. The reason I still play thirty years later is because I went Into to it at twelve with zero expectations, fell in love with the instrument, gutted out four years of lessons with a former Berkelee student who taught me theory and gave me all the tools to chart my own path. I wouldn't change anything. The journey has been the journey. I still love the guitar. Fishing and skiing are the only other things I have done this long and still love.

The only thing I would do differently would have been to invest in better gear earlier but I did not think I deserved it.

1- Instead of trying to be a guitar hero, just become competent at guitar, then learn to play bass and sing.
2- Instead of focusing on instrumental music, write songs with vocals.
3- Instead of spending hours a day practicing, join a band, and play gigs.

Axis29

Silver Supporting Member
Play bass. Learn to sing.
This deserves a double *like*
Triple *like*!

If you get halfway decent on bass, more gigs are available.

Singing is what gets you the girls, not endless wanking on guitar.

But, I would also tell myself to stick with it, study more theory and not give up because one day, it will give you the satisfaction you were looking for!

NB_Terry

Learn and play some Beatles tunes.

I didn't play any Beatles songs with any group until I was in my 40s. There is lots to be learned in those tunes.

Carlo

Platinum Supporting Member
Stick to your guns.
Don't try to please others.
The world will see you as you define yourself.
Listen to your mother and be a doctor!

Trending Topics