For those who like vintage tone mixed with harmonic awareness

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Julien Kasper, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Julien Kasper

Julien Kasper Member

2. 900

900 Member

:AOK

3. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Great stuff!!!!
    You have a very cool voice on the instrument, top shelf all the way
    around....Totally dug what I heard and saw on
    your site..

4. John Czajkowski

John Czajkowski Member

Hey Julian,

I really enjoy all the directions this stuff is coming from. You know, after a few cuts I checked out on your site, I started thinking there was something very familiar about your sound, then I realized we're mySpace friends. Ha! Beautiful, authentic and tasteful work man.

5. Julien Kasper

Julien Kasper Member

Thanks so much to all of you. You are clearly very discerning musicians and I appreciate you taking the time to listen and to comment.

John, I checked out the Hectic Watermelon site and I remember you as a myspace friend as well. Tremendous playing and very engaging textural music! You really are accomplished and, as you can imagine, I have a special appreciation for those with the daring to make eclectic instrumental music in this day and age.

Stay in touch,

Julien Kasper

6. scottl

scottl Member

Yea baby!!! Love it all JK!

7. ivers

ivers Member

I enjoyed that a lot, both approach-wise, and tone-wise.. Thanks!

8. mooch

mooch Member

I love coming to this site and finding new music like this. Fantastic job.

9. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

great sounds and playing! :)

10. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Hey, Julien, that sounds great. You are good, but you were awesome at 19, too.

You were my guitar teacher when I was 16 in Tallahassee. You taught me how to play Monkey Man.:)

More, importantly, though, you taught me how to learn instead of just showing me songs and licks. Thanks!

You sound great. It's nice to hear what you're doing.

11. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

Nice!
    I especially liked the 8-11 first track.
    Nice playing and nice tone(s).
    I hear a lot of great influences in there but you make it your own.
    Top notch...TOP NOTCH!

12. soupbone

soupbone Member

Hey Julien, great to see you on this site. I've been following you for a while now.

I love your new CD, great stuff!

You still using MJM stuff? big fan of Michael's stuff.

13. polifemo

polifemo Member

Well, this was more or less what I was about to write myself :)

Are the Fuzz tones (videoclips) a MJM London Fuzz into a clean (!?) Fender :eek:

14. Julien Kasper

Julien Kasper Member

Are the Fuzz tones (videoclips) a MJM London Fuzz into a clean (!?) Fender :eek:[/quote]

The Fender is not running clean - I usually run that amp (a '68 Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion Blue) at around "5" which puts a bit of hair on it.

Once again, thanks so much to all of you. Old friends and fans appearing left and right here. I'm really glad I posted the link.

The day before I posted on the members clips forum I posted this on a thread about fuzzes that clean up well and nobody seemed interested in what I had to say. Perhaps because I'm a new member? Well anyway, since you are interested here, here is the post again with rundowns on all the fuzzes and amps I'm using on all of the clips.

By the way before I re-post that, while I was soundchecking for the Berklee show (the clips with the Deluxe) I went back and forth about five times between a London Fuzz and a Fulltone "the '69 Deluxe" and couldn't decide which one to use because they both sounded so good. I ended up using the Fulltone mostly because it was a recent gift from my guitar tech.

Here's that post, Thanks for your interest and I'll be happy to answer any other questions.

Having a fuzz that cleans up well when I back off my volume is a constant requirement for me live and in the studio but which fuzz I use depends on the amp. The winner for me on my latest CD was an MJM London Fuzz 2 and I tried a lot of fuzzes and I do mean a lot! It worked beautifully through my 4 input Marshalls - the clean up was so smooth with that combination. Since I track to tape live with the band I can’t easily clean the pop that comes when you turn on a true bypass pedal so I prefer to leave the fuzz on to alleviate that if nothing else. A good example of that is the solo on the tune 8 to 11.

The mp3s on that download page come with descriptions of the gear in use but, come to think of it, the videos don’t and almost all of them feature different fuzzes in various stages of break up with a couple of different amps. Check it out fuzz heads, hope this is useful for you:

About Rudy - improvised solo piece. Starts with an older Fulltone “The ‘69 Deluxe” and then I switch to a Fulltone ‘70 for the rest of it. The amp for the following is a ‘68 Deluxe Reverb with a Celestion Blue.

All of the Years - ‘70 on for the entire tune

Blues for Charles - ‘70 on about half way through the solo

Jacket Full of Bees - ‘70 on the entire clip

8 to 11 (video) - Old giant silver Fulltone Soulbender on for the entire clip.

Talkin about What - ‘70 on for the entire clip (amp is a ‘64 Vox AC30 for this and the next clip)

Zulie - ‘70 goes on on the bridge of the tune in each of my two solo choruses.

My new CD “The New Imperial” is a fuzz extravaganza I hope to get a tune by tune gear breakdown for that up on my site soon. My current favorite live fuzz in a MJM London with slightly tighter bottom and extremely smooth clean up.

Best Regards,

Julien Kasper

15. polifemo

polifemo Member

I´ve got several Fuzzes and a quite interesting one, is the GI Fuzz (Silicon) from MI Audio.
    It´s more of a "modern style" fuzz than a "vintage" one, and there´s so many things that can be fine tuned that it´s simply amazing.

They´ve got a germanium one - the Neo Fuzz - as well.

Maybe not a fuzz for the real "afficionados", but very usable :rolleyes:

16. cr8z4life

cr8z4life Member

Great stuff......just got through the first song. Thats a tone I like!! Couldnt find anything about the first song I didnt like! Out of curiousity have you tried a Black Cat fuzz? Wondering your opinion on it if you have.....thats the one I use..

17. Julien Kasper

Julien Kasper Member

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope you were able to check out the live clips I recently added as well.

I haven't tried the Black Cat Fuzz but I'm always searching for great fuzzes so I'll keep that one in mind. For the past couple years I've been pretty devoted to MJM because of the consistent quality and Michael Milcetic's willingness to tailer pedals to my needs but that doesn't keep me from straying to other brands.

Best,
    Julien Kasper

18. 900

900 Member

I dug this one the most (fuzz-wise). :AOK

That's the milkshake thick, not overly shrill, fat fuzz sound I'm looking for. Hopefully, the new one's do sound similar. I just checked Fulltone's website and judging from the Soulbender clip, it seems so.

Thanks for that one (didn't notice the vids the first time).

19. Julien Kasper

Julien Kasper Member

ssss,

Been really busy so I just saw your comment today. Perhaps you already picked up a Soulbender and, if so, I hope it's a good one. If not I would strongly caution that you try before you buy as none the white normal production Soulbenders I've tried have sounded anything like the old silver big box models. The white ones tend to be very square wavey and harsh with lots of spitty fuzz even at the lowest settings. This sound is obviously cool for some things but I don't get the impression that it is the sound you are looking for. The white ones do have an internal trim that I never messed with so perhaps that is the solution to the problem on the units I've tried. Several other makers, including MJM, make Tonebender style pedals I would suggest you check those out too. Fulltone fuzzes can be great but, in my experience, they are frustratingly inconsistent.

Good Luck,
    Julien

20. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Julian,
    Awesome sounds and playing man!Glad to see you here,keep it up!

Vlad