For those who prefer US-made guitars

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by PinoyBoy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

For those who prefer US-made guitars, I would like to understand your reasons. Which of the following statement best applies to you:
    1. I have tried non-US-made guitars and US-made guitars just look, sound, and feel better
    2. I think that raw materials, manufacturing processes, technology, and labor skills overseas are not at par with US standards
    3. I know for a fact that raw materials, manufacturing processes, technology, and labor skills overseas are not at par with US standards
    4. I prefer to support US-made guitars for patriotic reasons
    My motive: I believe that where you manufacture the guitar doesn't really matter for as long as you have the right raw materials, processes (e.g. core manufacturing, quality control, etc.), technology, etc. I have medium-term plans to invest in a small guitar manufacturing operation based overseas and would like to start better understanding the US market.

If you choose to respond to this thread, please be as open as you feel necessary. There is no "politically incorrect" answer. From my perspective, a position is a position, and everyone's views will be respected.

Thanks for your time.

2. Roe

Roe Member

perhaps 4 should be edited to "for patriotic reasons"?

As it is, this is almost a political post.

3. HHB

HHB Member

here's my 2 cents, I really try to avoid older American brand names that are now overseas ventures, ala Danelectro and Schecter

4. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

I favor keeping jobs in North America. Plus typically the materials used in US and Canada made guitars are better IMO.

5. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

I'll agree that I would prefer to buy an American made guitar if it does what I need and it supports The good ol USA. The reality is that so many of us buy used,ebay,swap, barter,endentured servitude,what have you, that ultimatly anything we buy is supporting some US citizen or business but not neccesarily the manufacturer.

another .02 out of the change jar.

Scott:D

6. Srini

Srini Guest

For me its a matter of supporting the independents / small companies.

Srini

7. rbisherw

rbisherw Guest

About a year ago, I was called a racist from someone on this board after I made a statment that I prefer American made guitars.
    That said, I still prefer American made guitars that are manufactured in the US and own 7 US made and 0 imports. There is nothing wrong with imports, I just prefer to buy american.

8. whitehall

whitehall Member

If it's a 100% original design the country of origin doesn't matter much to me. If it's an Asian copy of an American , no thanks. I wouldn't buy a fake Rolex and I won't buy a fake LP. just my 2cents.

9. bailnout

bailnout Member

You racist!!! *JUST KIDDING!*:D

As for the subject of this thread, I would say that I try to support jobs in America because it's my homeland and I feel it's the right thing to do as much as possible or makes sense. I especially try to buy American when I'm throwing down big bucks. In the case of guitars, I've gotten to the point where I try to support the little guys. I feel like I've gotten a superior product by going to a small company luthier.

10. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It happens that most of the guitars I really like were made in the US. A few were not. I do like buying US stuff when the price and quality differences are not big, because in the long run, the US trade deficit will increase the taxes I have to pay.

11. ES350

ES350 Member

If I were playing Japanese or Korean music, I'd buy them, but for the foreseeable future, I will be playing American music, and it sounds best on American instruments. I also don't buy MIM or MIJ Fenders...Fender has always had questionable labor practices dating back to the 50's.

12. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

+100

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

The guitars I currently own are American but I'm not sure the answers you've given as options are going to help you very much.

Yes, everyone so far has indicated a preference for USA product. However, a large part of the musical instrument market doesn't have the cash for a USA piece. Imports play a vital role in the development of future players.

Import brands are a dime a dozen. The challenge you're facing is getting your name and product in front of the public and retailers and giving them a reason to even consider your guitar.

Good Luck To You,

Greg

14. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

American all of the way.I love the quality of the small company builders,who take a deep pride in making guitars.It is an American tradition.I am also a diehard blue collar ,union worker that is sick of work going out of this country.There is a large % of people that can't or won't spend much on a guitar,so I guess I see the need for cheaper alternatives.

PS-I know there are some great builders in Canada and Europe.I didn't mean to take away from the sweet guitars they are making.

15. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

This is a tough one.

The big US manufacturers really need the kick in the butt that the imports are giving them. We all have read the gripes about Gibson's quality control, even on their CS guitars.

Imports are becoming more popular for two reasons:

1) The quality is more consistent than their American counterparts, and their overall quality level is pretty damn good, easily on par with most production American-made products. Some might argue that their quality is even better because it's so consistent.

2) They offer such excellent quality at such a low price point that it's hard to justify buying a US made guitar at two to six times the cost, with only a slight improvement in quality of build.

Hartley Peavey saw this coming forty years ago. Despite the fact that it's not cool to like Peavey equipment, his gear is excellent quality, at a reasonable price. That combination wins every time.

16. cSuttle

cSuttle Member

Well . . . having returned from the NAMM show just a couple of weeks ago, one thing my son (his first trip to the winter namm) noticed was that the American guitar booths were jammed and the Japan/Korea booths were so empty you could have heard a pin hit the carpet. These guys looked soooooo bored.

He asked me why. We stopped into a couple of overseas booths and I let him play a few of instruments. It took him a grand total of about 10 minutes in three different booth to understand. We pretty much walked by those booths the rest of the show. We also stopped to look at some of the inlay work (Alex is doing some work for me now, so he is interest in that). Didn't look bad from outside the booth, but don't go up and look close. YUCK!!!! Poor design, materials and execution.

My son plays a BC Rich 1980's USA Custom. Great guitar! His friends at school will sometime tease him about playing a BC Rich. Statement like "BC Rich makes crap" are often heard. Then Alex let them play his guitar and the stop talking with their jaws dropping to the ground. It's the best guitar of anyone in the school. The new Rich's - well . . . . made overseas.

I'm sure that there are some overseas custom makers that are really doing a great job. And I know that there are some American builders that are producing crap. But, it's all a matter of the odds. Buying a guitar is (especially sight unseen) like playing Russian Rolet. Would you rather have one bullet in the gun or five.

17. apd

apd Member

i'm not sure i'd ever buy a factory guitar again. with USACG and Warmoth making great parts at good prices, i can have something assembled for me exactly to my specs for the price of a factory guitar.

18. BigBone

BigBone Member

I think its arrogant to say that only the USA makes a good product! there are many good manufacturers from many parts of the world. Not to mention that the usa has had quality problems as well.[think cars]

19. jpage

jpage Silver Supporting Member

As long as those manufacturers are not putting out copies of American instruments I agree.

20. Rock Johnson

Rock Johnson Member

That's another thing that's really digging into US builders. We can build our own for the same money, and have higher quality and more options.