For those who run multiple delays.....

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jhumber, Jan 30, 2008.

1. jhumber

jhumber Member

Do you run more than one delay at a time?
    If so, what are the typical settings used, and why do you do it? (ie. What does it give you?)

Cheers
    Jordan.

2. blood5150

blood5150 Member

good guestion.. would like to hear some of the answers as well....

3. Aj_rocker

Aj_rocker Member

hey jordan,

i use delay in many ways, one as a effect (like playing aganist dotted 8's, like U2).
    the other to create a "bed" i use two delays at this point. I have one set for 8's (well as close as i can), and one set for dotted 8's. I set thefirst for a short and the second of a long delay, which allow the first to give clean repeat and the second one to just repeat later what the first one gave out. so you get a layered spread of delays. Its great for chordal work and single note lines. this video shows what i mean http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYcceV3H2I&feature=related

i kinda sore the video and had to use it for my self!!

AJ

4. bradinnm

bradinnm Member

I like to use an EH DMM in conjunction with the delay in my CM Quattro sometimes. I set the EH for just a little delay and very little modulation just to give the tone a little space and atmosphere, then I tap out the longer delay with the CM for lead work. Sounds pretty nice.

Brad

5. pgissi

pgissi Member

I use 2 delay pedals, the 1st is an older Boss Dsd-3 a delay/sampler and the 2nd is the Rv-3 Reverb delay.

I typically use them in parallel in my fx loop with them residing in a Boss LS-2 line selector but occassionaly use them in series. The LS-2 achieves parrallel routing in the loop easily.

In parallel I can have-
    -delay & reverb
    -delay 1 & delay 2 with differing times for multi-tap or varying degrees of
    a larger and more lush sound

In series you can do the above and some other weird things-
    -in the most unusual setting you can set slightly differing delay times and
    make use of the stereo output to get that slightly out of tune thing ala
    Pat Metheney

-or do the multi-tap thing to the extreme
    -or also do delay and reverb

In short 2 delay pedals can substitute for a more expensive and extensively outfitted rack unit and is especially useful for ambient and lush, chordal work or swells etc.

6. guildchild

guildchild Member

dd-5 into dd-20. tap tempo pedal Y'd out to drive both. dd-5 typically at 1/4's and dd-20 at dotted 1/8's.

i've got 3 of 4 presets on the dd-20 at dotted 1/8's. it's just what i like. if i needs something else, i'll turn the knob on the dd-5. possibilities are endless. having 1 tap pedal drive both is FUUUUUUN!!!

try stereo too.

7. freak4liferu

freak4liferu Member

I use an Eventide Timefactor and a old DD-5. The timefactor allows me to sync my delays up via midi clock, and the dd-5 is hard to beat for .1/8th's. Although i'm starting to like the timefactors .1/8th's as well, plus not having to tap it in is really nice. I also use the timefactor for layering delays as well. Good setup for me anyway..

8. Birddog

Birddog Member

I use 2 Ibanez DE-7's.

One is set to "Echo" and deep, at around 450ms and about 1/2 blend, 6-7 repeats. This is my pretty/spacy/Watchtowery setting. Not used too often while gigging.

The other is set to "Delay", around 330ms, 1/3 blend, 2-3 repeats. This is my workhorse setting, used almost all the time.

I rarely put the two on together. Just sounds too muddy with the darker echo and the brighter delay...sonically confusing, as it were. If I'm at home with a I'll put on both just for fun, but they're really not practical together for playing out.

9. guildchild

guildchild Member

just an observation:
    typically in threads about drive, questions will continuously pop up throughout the thread and answers are given etc. nearly every time i've read a 2 delay thread there is 1 question and 50 answers. i think it's because once you start down the dual delay path, you get addicted and find what exactly works for you. point is: get 2 delays...even cheap ones...then work your way up to stuff that has sync capabilities. it'll make you smile when you play.

10. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I used to run two delays exclusively separately until of course the urge to combine them... now its an addiction.

It used to be that I run a digital delay (i.e. squeaky clean) for my leads because I hated low-headroom analog delays (i run a lot of boost) and wanted that clean and huge sound for my leads. Digital delay with some reverb backing it up.

My clean side always had an analog delay (DMM!!)... nice tape sounds, very wide and ethereal sounding ... worked great with my EHX polychorus. Also cool for dotted 8s effects.

Since then though, i moved the digital delay to my FX loop and it almost always stays on for 2 or 3 repeats at about 300 ms. It feeds into reverb. I shut it off when I play dirty or clean rhythm (that requires strumming). Then when I play clean i stack it by having a DMM out front.... its a beautiful sound. You get the echo of the DMM, which is really an effect of its own because of the flutter and vibrato added, and then you add CLEAN echo of the actual echoes and its really a hypnotic thing. This of course opens you up to multi-tap stuff too.

11. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

Are you guys running them one into the other or using muliple amps with an ABY?

12. jaywalker

jaywalker Member

All of my chorus/modulation delay and reverb sounds are based on the multi-tap principle. So I actually only have 2 classic BOSS delays on my board but by combining them with the yamaha MS 8 band multis that ads up to 18 stereo delays on one board!!!!

see details in sig

13. guildchild

guildchild Member

for live stuff, i stay mono. for some session stuff and just fun in general i'll go stereo.

14. Creamy

Creamy Member

I use mult delays on guitar mostly for reverb-type effects or to create broader stereo depth. Beyond that, it tends to get lost in the mix of a typical band ensemble.

15. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Hi,

Interesting thread and educational. I haven't really gone into multilayering and lush ambient delays - but I'm tempted by the possibilities in sound.

What I wonder, when you have two delays that you want to have in quarters and triplets/dotted eights etc. How do handle it live between different songs. I'm assuming not all the songs have the same tempo?

I can understand tap tempo one delay, but to tap two seems awfully hard!?

I have a Roland Chorus Echo Re-501 which features multi-tap settings and also sound on sound - so I guess that could be used in some "galloping" way like described in the video in a post above?

Ah well, I'll keep reading.

/C

16. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

if you have an outboard tap tempo (ie- boss fs5u) then you put a y cable to attach it to 2 pedals tap tempo inputs... example earlier in this thread is dd5 into dd20. just tap the tempo once to sync both delays in time with each other...

17. andrewnielson

andrewnielson Member

I have my dotted 8th one and match a quarter delay as well to fill up the tone

18. carljoensson

carljoensson Member

Good point! I just assume you'll then need one of the two delays to have a switch that gives you automatic triplets/dotted notes. But I guess the DD-20 probably has that? Nevermind, not out to buy another delay - just curious.

/C

19. thiscalltoarms

thiscalltoarms more gadgets than Batman. Gold Supporting Member

both dd5 and dd20 can do quarters or dotted 8ths and several other settings including triplets...

20. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

i use one for leads and one for rythm , or i used to do it like that.

I am searching for a second delay unit to do it again.