for those with GREAT ears, pls help me identify this sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by taisuan, Feb 20, 2009.

1. taisuan

taisuan Member

please don't flame me...

i'm looking for a crunch/overdrive/light distortion pedal and was wondering whether there's one which sounded:

- transparent
    - extremely dynamic/cleans up well
    - tube-amp like
    - NO mid-hump

do continue reading...

i know the above have been asked MILLION TIMES but i'm just not too sure whether my description is correct. i have sample clips below.

i play with clean amps (solid state and tube) and depend on crunch/overdrive/light distortion pedal for dirty rhythm/lead. i'm looking to get a pedal to drive my cleap amp. i don't use the distortion from the amp.

can you guys suggest a pedal(s) which resembles the description above? you can check out the tone/sound that i'm looking for here (not me playing, someone else):

http://www.uglymen.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/Alienoid11.mp3
    http://www.uglymen.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/Alienoid1.mp3

i'm playing a fender stratocaster with 3 pure single-coils.

to my ears, the clip sounds like treble boosting crunch that is transparent and dynamic. i'm searching high and low for a pedal to drive my CLEAN amp. please don't ask me to use the drive on my amp, i don't like the sound.

someone said lovepedal COT; but i haven't tried it.

best regards.
    tai suan

2. plexistack

plexistack Member

I've used the OCD in this manner and I'm happy with the sound. Your choice would depend on exactly how much gain you want.

3. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

A Tim or Timmy would get you all of those.

There are tons of OD pedals out there that can get you transparency, good dynamics, cleans up, and no mid-hump. But the one thing that a lot of them lack is that they don't sound like a tube amp overdriven but rather are very compressed. The Tim and Timmy sound extremely gritty at higher gain settings, thus what an overdriven tube amp should sound like.

Another thing you should possibly consider would be a boost pedal. One of my favorites is the Z Vex Super Duper 2 in 1. Because of its nature as a boost, it can practically do everything you are asking for. The difference is that you won't have as much tone shaping in a boost pedal as you would with an OD pedal. Otherwise, this is a good route too.

4. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Timmy is the most transparent and least compressed with good dynamics.

The OCD has GREAT dynamics and no mid hump but the bass and/or treble can be too much for certain rigs (like mine).

The OCD seems to be VERY rig dependent while the Timmy will work in just about every rig.

Also check out the Danelectro Transparent OD and Drive.

Other easily available pedals would be the Boss BD-2 and the Boss OD-3. I prefer the OD-3 by a mile because it has more bass, a smoother tone and the entire gain range is usable compared to the BD-2.

5. taisuan

taisuan Member

thanks to everyone for the input. appreciate it very much. anyone else care to share?