1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

For what it's worth: MY DUMBLE EXPERIENCES

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JB Eckl, Jan 14, 2008.

1. mwoeppel

mwoeppel Member

Welcome to the board, mink! Great way to introduce yourself.

Terrific post.

Now I have to go try out an Aiken Tomcat and a Blueverb!

2. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

Yes, anyone who's worked to a tight spec with discrete electronic components knows there is technique, craft, and art to it. Think about it - 10% tolerance (or even 5%) on 200 parts, you could be anywhere along the spectrum, and of course it doesn't "even out". +5% in one place and -5% in another results in some very different frequencies being tossed around.

Not to mention RF, grounding, and general 'voodoo'.

In addition, I did this kind of stuff (in a previous life) on military stuff with a clear metric and spec as to the results - I could measure success. Do this stuff with your ear & taste instead of an oscilloscope & frequency counter as the measurement tool, and it goes way over into art.

Much respect to all of the great amp builders out there.

3. Iceman8.6

Iceman8.6 Member

Definitely appropriate! An amp is really nothing more than electronic parts that are also inconsistent just like the organic materials used to make that violn. How those parts are brought together to make to make something better than the parts themselves is every bit as much an art as making that pre war Martin.

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Word...

This is a D thread I can sign up with.

Larry's live tone is a grail for me ("Last Nite" era).

S.
    j

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Here we have a n00b coming in and starting a thread about gear that's actually based on personal experience. Not speculation. Not hearsay. Just getting his hands on a rig and using his ears.

WTF is this place coming to?!? What's next, having people act like "good tone" might vary from person to person? :horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse:horse

6. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Not to mention the guy is a smoking player and all around super cool dude...

7. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

The one thing about beating dead horses is the horse doesn't seem to mind.