For you dumble guys

jzgtrguy

Gold Supporting Member
I'm not the guy your looking for but the clip is way nice. You play great. To me Dumbles usally have more gain but maybe it's just dialed back.

What did you use to record these tones?

Jim Soloway

Very nice. I'm certainly not a Dumble expert, but the tone is definitely in the range and more importantly, is really good.

desdinova

I would say they are Dumble type tones, although I'm sure you could get them with other amps/setups as well. We are used to associating "Dumble tone" to a handfull of specific players and tones (Carlton, Santana, Ford, etc). I believe any Dumble is capable of a much wider variety.

In my mind, "Dumble tone" is something with complex harmonics both in the low and high frequencies, regardless of gain.

Great playing on those clips, BTW!

CLARIFICATION: This is Jerry Stevenson's playing... I WISH it was me...! He's awesome.

(side note: post #2000 for me.... WOO HOO... oh, whatever... lol)

I'm not the guy your looking for but the clip is way nice. You play great. To me Dumbles usally have more gain but maybe it's just dialed back.

What did you use to record these tones?

The tones are from the S-Gear website (www.scuffhamamps.com). If I remember correctly Jerry Stevenson (the guy playing) includes some narrative there describing them in more detail. EDIT: here are Jerry's notes on his recording there... http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/sounds

les

Platinum Supporting Member
Nice tone, great player. To my ear, it sounds like a very good software amp emulator/modeler. Amazing how close s/w is getting these days...

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
To me, yes that tone and frequency response is very Dumble like. It also is very touch sensitive.... Great tones....After reading further come to find out it's a plug in.... Pretty amazing

Pretty cool demo. And the guy looks kinda like Chevy Chase... :)

(Now we set a timer to see how long it will be before someone tells us this Youtube is completely useless for comparing to a Dumble and that the only way we can really know is to buy a Dumble, play it and then send it back to Howard before the return policy runs out... :))

overunderdrive

the playing is excellent--very Steely Dan-ish--and the tone is nice, but it doesn't really sound 'Dumbly' to my ears. more tubescreamer-ish.

the Dumble tone, at least the way I think about it, has an upper mid thing going on, which I guess some refer to as 'chirp'. it's especially evident on the lower strings.

YOGA64

Silver Supporting Member
Just bought the software, it is EXCELLENT :omg

It gets recorded Dumble tones as good as, maybe better, my Ethos pedal, plus FANTASTIC vintage Marshall tones and modern high gain Soldano type stuff..........:bow

I'm sold, finally somebody has come up with what I had been asking for for a long time: fantastic and flexible Dumble sound in a software plug in, for around $80 :bonk, PLUS other really EXCELLENT amp sounds.

I'm a long time Guitar Rig user, and these two softwares combined are everything I need and more for my recording needs.

By the way, the price is AMAZING for what this product offers..........:boxer

desdinova

It gets recorded Dumble tones as good as, maybe better, my Ethos pedal, plus FANTASTIC vintage Marshall tones and modern high gain Soldano type stuff..........:bow

I'm not sure it's "better" than the Ethos for Dumble tones, they have different philosophy, but I'm happy I can use both!

That said, kudos to Scuffham for selecting quality over quantity! Those 3 "amps" are perhaps what's needed for 95% of anybody's recording needs, because they are really "flavours" that can be tweaked to a large degree.

The moment they announce a hardware product along these lines, my credit card will be out of my wallet in roughly 3ms.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
banjoze said:
Pretty cool demo. And the guy looks kinda like Chevy Chase... :)

(Now we set a timer to see how long it will be before someone tells us this Youtube is completely useless for comparing to a Dumble and that the only way we can really know is to buy a Dumble, play it and then send it back to Howard before the return policy runs out... :))

Haha... You guys must all be new! We have several Dumble 'experts' here on TGP and sadly, one who left (TAG). I think Scott Lerner might be the TGPer of whom you speak who did some great AxeFX Dumble clips, also many boot eek D clips using the Torpedo IR cabinet simulator as well. In the end I believe he discovered modeling, etc was not for him although he did some very impressive comparisons, etc.
Apparently the 'chirp' was never quite right...
It's funny you post the clip of the real Dumble you did. I was told by TAG that although the player is 'pretty good' and the tones were nice, the were NOT representative at all of what a well tuned Dumble sounds like... Even though it's a real Dumble. Whatever.
I own Scuffham and dig it, but I still cannot get past the latency and lack of real time feel when playing directly into my audio interface. The difference in playing experience in a live context (live meaning realtime) between the AxeFX and Scuffham is tremendous, and even more when playing a real tube amp.
BUT I dig the tones from Scuffham enough that I'm going to attempt printing dry guitar tracks all of the time so I can reamp with AxeFX and-or use Scuffham amps for varying flavors.

Gasp100: what audio interface are you using and what latency (round-trip) do you get? With a low-latency interface <=5ms round-trip I don't even notice latency. For that matter what latency does the AxeFX have?

Standing on stage 8 or 10 feet from your amp you have measurable latency as well. So, if the interface matches or exceeds that then I'm not sure I see the issue, especially if your using headphones or in-ear monitoring when you play/record.

EDIT: Btw, TAG was the name I was trying to remember. I didn't realize he had left.

Last edited:

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
A couple of S-Gear clips here using a tone very unlike anything I would dial in typically, but very cool sounding.

http://soundcloud.com/scuffham-amps/dancing-with-lions
Very nice clip.

I think I need to pick the S-Gear up just to have a decent recording option when traveling with a laptop on the job or vacation, or for reamping when editing Logic tracks without my guitar. I go to a couple of multi-day conferences during the year and it would be great to have it on my MacBook Pro.

Given the price it's a no-brainer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom