For you guys who haven't considered Yamaha THR's because of their size, seriously, check one out!

thrashmetl

I'd seen the Yamaha THR's around in threads and random videos on YouTube, but never gave one a second thought because they were so small and couldn't possibly sound big enough for me to enjoy. One night around 2am a few weeks ago I just about reached the end of the internet, but was too lazy to pick myself up off the couch to go to bed so I started watching THR10 and THR10C videos and became intrigued, but YouTube is deceptive. I found some spare time a few days later and headed to Guitar Center. After only 10 minutes of messing with the THR10C and a Mexican Tele I was able to get GREAT sounds with all 5 of the amp models. I was seriously impressed!

I found a THR10C on Reverb and got it about a week ago now and I've seriously been blown away every time I've played it. It seriously sounds so good, better than it has any right to. Everything sounds good with both my Tele and my Les Paul and it has every effect I need and even the effects are adequate. I honestly could not be any happier with this thing.

I know it's small and it doesn't sound huge, but it doesn't sound small either. The low end is perfect and it's more than loud enough for bedroom practicing. I know this is going to sound crazy, but over the past year I've gotten a Kemper, an AxeFx II, a Helix, and an Amplifire, running all of them through my Yamaha HS8 monitors, and I'm more happy with the THR10C than any of the rest. The Yamaha is easy and although it's kind of an FRFR, it's meant to sound more like an amp in the room than a mic'ed amp. I guess I've learned I just like the amp in the room thing. It's not that the modeling is better, it just works better for me and sounds sooooo good.

If you haven't checked one of these out, do yourself a favor and go to Guitar Center and give one a whirl. They're cheap and sound great. Honestly, my Amplifire sounds great through it too. If you want to run a modeler at low volume, you can plug it into this thing on the flat EQ setting and it will sound great.

Sorry, I know I'm late to the party.

Phrygiandom

I have the THR10X, and it's probably one of my best purchases in the past several years. I think it DOES sound quite huge, especially when turned up. The Marshall patches sound fantastic.

Der JD

I had a THR10 for a couple of weeks. Some seriously great tones in there. My problem, however, and the reason why I returned it, is that I just couldn't get past playing through those small speakers. The speakers sound great but they're small and it definitely sounds like you're playing through small speakers. Using the stereo effects helped, but it still sounded small to me. I liked it a little better going through my 8" studio monitors but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be entirely happy unless I'm playing through a real guitar cab.

If I had needed something that sounded great, was really convenient, and portable I would have kept it for sure.

Fuzzboat

I've been bugging yamaha with emaisl for the past year or more

I only want 1 freaking thing - to disable the onboard IR's !!

seriously, its a simple fix / changing a few lines of code - not to mention the expanded
tonal possibilities

anyone else feel this way ??

Brutus

Love my THR10. It gets more play time than my bigger amps and got more than its share of wtf's when I brought it with me to a family jam. If you like playing along with mp3's, you can't do much better for plug in and play convenience.

jageya

I had a THR10 for a couple of weeks. Some seriously great tones in there. My problem, however, and the reason why I returned it, is that I just couldn't get past playing through those small speakers. The speakers sound great but they're small and it definitely sounds like you're playing through small speakers. Using the stereo effects helped, but it still sounded small to me. I liked it a little better going through my 8" studio monitors but ultimately I've come to the conclusion that I'll never be entirely happy unless I'm playing through a real guitar cab.

If I had needed something that sounded great, was really convenient, and portable I would have kept it for sure.
dont worry yamaha will be releasing the thr30/50/100 soon.....with larger speakers

GuitarGalah

I have to agree with you there, the THR is a seriously good practice amp. I also have a THR10C in the living room, and I use it more than any other amp.
In case you don't know, Yamaha have the THR100 head, which is 25/50/100w selectable if you are looking for something larger.

@jageya That is complete conjecture! I really don't think that will happen, at least not as you predict it.

thrashmetl

I have to agree with you there, the THR is a seriously good practice amp. I also have a THR10C in the living room, and I use it more than any other amp.
In case you don't know, Yamaha have the THR100 head, which is 25/50/100w selectable if you are looking for something larger.

@jageya That is complete conjecture! I really don't think that will happen, at least not as you predict it.
Unfortunately way too much amp for my current situation.

GuitarGalah

Understandable. It is terribly expensive too, even though I don't doubt it is a fine piece of equipment.
Just that the title to this thread implies that size might be an issue.
For me, the size is a giant bonus. It fits on a shelf, and as a portable solution it has no peer.

SloeGin

dont worry yamaha will be releasing the thr30/50/100 soon.....with larger speakers
I hope the combo will be based on the THR10/c/x and not on the THR100 ... the saving of presets function is so important to me atleast

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
My THR10 gets more use than anything else I own. It's the perfect home practice amp for me. I'd prefer that you could adjust all the parameters on the unit but that's a minor issue. Now that I have sounds saved, it's no issue.

JScaster

This is my favorite Thr video by far.

But truth to be told, that guy can make everything sound great.

Still, this is a great exemple of the amp capabilities (also a great pedal plataform).

alp

Still, this is a great exemple of the amp capabilities (also a great pedal plataform).
This video is the reason i started to consider buying a Thr10, then they released the thr100 and i am all into it now. Sometimes you hear pros playing other modeling amps but most of those amps do not reflect players musical expression like the THRs. I think who writes codes for these amps is a genious. I don't think these amps are pricey at all. A digital amp doesn't have to be cheaper than a tube amp if it does the job just like a tube amp. On the other hand you loose the weight and gain reliability, which are really important advantages for a gigging musician.

jageya

are you serious? ....The thr is a fun little amp but comeon...that video is silly..and sounds like shite..

Trending Topics