Forced to use lighter gauge strings last night, kind of liked it.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Lephty, Dec 31, 2017.

1. trap

trap Supporting Member

Scott Henderson says 10’s sound better with distortion than 11’s.

Lucidology likes this.
  2. MrX

MrX Member

The older I get the lighter I go.

Lucidology likes this.
  3. FeloniousBishop

FeloniousBishop Member

I put extra light strings on my beater acoustic, which is the guitar I play the most.

I like it because I can bend the E and B strings just like on my electric.

Lucidology likes this.
  4. brockmann

brockmann Member

I’ve been through em all (13’s and baritone strings to 7’s) and was changing gauges a few times a day to experiment until I finally settled on lighter gauges. With any drive happening, the lighter strings just sound clearer and less muffled/muddy. I’ve come to the conclusion that anything larger than a 9 is completely overkill and personally I found no benefit from heavier strings as far as tone or sustain etc. if anything I found that heavier strings were just muddier and harder to bend....neither of which I care for.

Jason_77 and Lucidology like this.
  5. micycle

micycle Member

I used to play 8's for years and they were amazing, nice and stretchy.. but eventually I got tired of breaking strings! .010s have served me well ever since.

6. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

SIT and D'Addario both make sets with a .015 G string. SIT Universals and D'Addario balanced tension sets.

Scary Uncle G. likes this.
  7. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I've thought of re-stringing my Tele with .009's since I love that looser feel sometimes. I switched to from .008 and .009 gauge strings to .010's twenty years ago (I was gigging a lot and would go through .009's every few weeks - upping a gauge helped). Oddly enough, my PRS DGT (which comes stock with .011's) doesn't feel that tight at all (thanks to the scale length and set up).

8. fetishfrog

fetishfrog Member

I went from an 11-50 set to 10-46 after some time off. I'll probably go back up at some point soon. I just prefer the tone and feel of the heavier set.

9. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I use boomer 009's.

Lucidology likes this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Member

I have real trouble bending .009s. My fingers seem to slip right over the top. Anyone else have this problem?

11. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

If you like lighter strings, you should try a balanced set! Most stock guitar strings have higher tension in the D/G strings than the rest of the set. I never really noticed until I actually tried a balanced set, but holy crap, there is a difference, especially with single note lines that cross multiple strings/octaves. At a certain tension you actually start to get inharmonicity between the fundamental and the harmonics of the note. It's not AS noticeable with standard tuning, though. Due to my preference for stupidly-low tuning I've spent quite a bit of time researching all this garbage....lots of fun information, no mystical mojo.

Atmospheric likes this.
  12. Mule

Mule Member

Now that I have the joy's of arthritis in my thumb I've contemplated going from 10s- 9s. If I do that am I going to need to set up all my guitars? Will that help with the arthritis pain?

13. ivers

ivers Member

I use 9's on my main guitar (a Bacchus tele style) these days, and I really like the sound. The only thing is that my touch is still somewhat too heavy, especially live, so I tend to push the lighter strings a bit out of tune. But I need to get a lighter touch anyway, so don't mind to get a «sour» reminder from the strings to motivate me to work on this.