Forever Man (Clapton) fuzz tone?

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
This tune came up during a road trip. The fuzzy guitar tone is pretty good. Maybe an unexpected product of the 80’s overproduction of the album. Any insight on what EC might have used in the studio- and maybe even live- for that fuzz sound. It’s not really a typical Clapton guitar sound.
I imagine these days he would just use the sig. strat mid boost to throttle the input of the Victoria Tweed twin.

Please don’t judge me for liking some classic tones in spite of the artist’s character flaws.
:hide

kwaehner

Silver Supporting Member
No idea what he used, but agree it was a great lead tone.

I do recall an article that said it was a MusicMan amp, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

BootRoots

Silver Supporting Member
Please don’t judge me for liking some classic tones in spite of the artist’s character flaws.
:hide
I guess people around here judge everyone. I’ll never understand the Clapton hate. Character flaws? Who doesn’t have them?

The man is the reason I play guitar today. There are other tones of his that I like better but I’ve always found something to like with all of his material even the duds. I think I could listen to 24 Nights on repeat endlessly and it would never get old.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
Great thread. He had some great late ‘80s tones just before the Soldano thing. And then obviously great with the SLO.

So a Boss chorus, a HM-2 and a Marshall? I’ll have to try that!

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the replies. I hadn’t considered the HM-2 which iirc is actually a hi gain OD rather than a proper distortion. Thinking back to Jerry Garcia tones of the similar era which are HM-2, it kind of makes sense.

I was also mistaken that this was the Phil Collins, Nathan East period, but it turns out Donald Duck Dunn was on that album.

I much prefer the seasoned rock star Clapton tones - (often with Jeff Beck allusions and crafted licks and solos) to the latter “blues curator” years, although the BB King duet album, Back Home, and Pilgrim have some memorable tones as well.

dsl

Silver Supporting Member
I was really inspired by the Journeyman era After Midnight that was attached to a Bul Light ad campaign. Really tough rendition to find. Much like Pretending- solid tones and very well produced tunes.
That version is the last track on the “Crossroads” box set.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
Now I am wanting to try a boss hm2. It’s amazing how his tone would point the way to where he would go when he got the slo a few years later.

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I was really inspired by the Journeyman era After Midnight that was attached to a Bud Light ad campaign. Really tough rendition to find. Much like Pretending- solid tones and very well produced tunes.
Yup. There’s the original After Midnight which has totally differ tones and beat. That late ‘80s one from the beer commercial sounded great the first time I heard it. I’m not sure if that version made it on any studio album, but I’m pretty sure it was on that big three disc box set (Crossroads?).

Edit: Oops! Just read the later post. Yup. Crossroads.

UELong

Now I am wanting to try a boss hm2. It’s amazing how his tone would point the way to where he would go when he got the slo a few years later.
I had the HM2 in the mid '80s. Honestly, it was the one pedal I didn't miss when my gigbag was stolen. I find it hard to picture it as the driving force behind the fuzztone of Forever Man. But who knows?

Jr Deluxe

That's my least favorite tone from EC. I like the song though. All that sound is is the tone knob on his strat rolled back. I doubt there is even any fuzz being used. Just whatever drive he usually uses. Maybe just overdrive from some small tweed deluxe.

burns

I’ve heard, that Marty Stuart says, that Eric Clapton doesn’t need any pedals. :dunno

bluesuede

Documented Miscreant
No idea what he used, but agree it was a great lead tone.

I do recall an article that said it was a MusicMan amp, but I could be mistaken.
I know he was still using Music Man amps in the Money and Cigarettes tour and wasn't on the August tour.. I don't know about the Behind the Sun era. I know he experimented in the album and first started using chorus and even a guitar synthesizer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom