• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Forgive me if your jaw hits the floor whilst viewing this

He's one the best of the generation. Always love his playing, even when he's staggering around it's brutally good! The amount of material he knew was pretty epic. Acoustic stuff is so good too! RIP Rory for sure!

One of my favs here! The lineup from this concert was Jaw Dropping!

This was the late 60's? His Strat already has a lifetime of roadwear.

doctorx

They sure don’t make them like that anymore. I really miss the days of good old long haired rock and roll.
No fancy stage props, no wacky costumes or pretentiousness. Just guys playing music.

snagged

This was the late 60's? His Strat already has a lifetime of roadwear.
There are various stories about how it got that way, including unlikely explanations about the composition of his sweat. If you look at old photos though, it's clear the wear occurred suddenly, not over the course of years. The story I believe is that the guitar was stolen and left in a ditch for several days. He got it back, but the finish was ruined. He chose to leave it that way and the rest is history.

Here's Joe Bonamassa, playing Rory's guitar, playing a cover of Rory's classic "Cradle Rock". That's appropriate since Bonamassa is a fan of Rory's music and the first song on his first album is Cradle Rock.

There are various stories about how it got that way, including unlikely explanations about the composition of his sweat. If you look at old photos though, it's clear the wear occurred suddenly, not over the course of years. The story I believe is that the guitar was stolen and left in a ditch for several days. He got it back, but the finish was ruined. He chose to leave it that way and the rest is history.

Here's Joe Bonamassa, playing Rory's guitar, playing a cover of Rory's classic "Cradle Rock". That's appropriate since Bonamassa is a fan of Rory's music and the first song on his first album is Cradle Rock.
I subscribe to the corrosive sweat theory. I heard his strings would rust right after he played.

I had a friend who had this problem. His strings were always rusty.

Telejester

They sure don’t make them like that anymore. I really miss the days of good old long haired rock and roll.
No fancy stage props, no wacky costumes or pretentiousness. Just guys playing music.
And nobody ever looked more immersed in the whole experience than gerry mcavoy, the smile on his face as he played bass for rory was timeless

Vulteroz

The story I believe is that the guitar was stolen and left in a ditch for several days. He got it back, but the finish was ruined. He chose to leave it that way and the rest is history.
First case of guitar relic process and the rest is history :D

OnkelC

Rory Gallagher is one of my all time greatest guitar heroes.
PSA:
german television has a vast archive of historical live performances on YouTube.

Spent the saturday with Sha Na Na, for example...

ClickClack

Here's Rory with the guitar he's usually associated with, his beat up strat. Hard to believe he's been gone 25 years.

Now THAT is more like it. Not wanting to pee on anyone's parade, but I have to say the clip at the beginning of this thread does not do much for me, whereas this is great.

motokev

purty purtyyyyy purty-good

that tele looks like it has some miles on it.
I'm gathering he was purty rough on guitars.

motokev

Very good video.
His tone is so raw and pure.

interesting, at the beginning before the band joins in, the tone sounds like the speaker is in a coffee can.
But, when the band joins the tone sounds soooo good.

Trending Topics