Forgot how crazy good Revalver sounds...

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Will Chen, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

Lately I've been having some tube amp lust for a Peavey Classic 30. I know its low rent compared to TGP amp standards but I have super fond memories of that amp during my college days, seemed all the hot players at the University of North Texas either had it or a JC-120. I ended up with a JC-120 which I used for many years, but always wanted a Classic 30...

Last night I powered up Revalver HP as it has a Classic 30 model and I was simply blown away. I recall being extremely impressed with Revalver III back when I tried it out a couple years ago, but I was almost floored by it. Just bringing up the "Out of Box" presets which have no effects, I was knocked out all over again and wondering how I could get it into my live rig. I'm really afraid to plug my HD500 back in for fear I'm going to be very underwhelmed. It took me months and months to get where I am today with the HD500, literally took seconds with Revalver III. That new MuseBox looks very tempting, but I may just grab a Classic 30 and pair it to a MFX and then just use Reaper for late night practicing. Lots of thinking to do...

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I hear ya Will. I sold my beat to death early 90s Classic 50-212 a couple years back and have deeply regretted it ever since. Clean tone is pretty neutral, but the drive channel is just fantastic for semi-dirt tones. ReValver III is pretty great sounding!

3. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I'm pretty darned impressed with Peavey's Ampkit on my iPad... Even the ValveKing models sound worthy. I need to score a copy of Revalver HP for my iMac.

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

I should have never read this, because I just downloaded the demo of MKIII.V and just with the 6505 amp and cab that it default loads on startup, with a few tweaks.....holy crap it sounds REALLY great! Now I'm rethinking my TH2 and HD500 setup......hmmmmmm.

Headphone test at home tonight will confirm how awesome this sounds.

5. Guitar Vilain

Guitar Vilain Member

It gets even better if you switch the cabs to high res mode... damn, I wish there was a cheap and low latency plugin host in pedalboard form factor :(

6. nsriley

nsriley Member

No way to use a midi board with it via your audio interface?

7. chrishurley

chrishurley Supporting Member

I was a beta tester for RII and RIII- I used to really like it, particularly because of the circuit-level tweaks it could do. I never found an interface that I was thrilled about and it always hurt my enjoyment of all software modellers. I ended up with a firebox after going through a bunch of USB interfaces and its OK but the axe-fx is just like another universe for latency and noise.

I hope that the musebox can bring great plugins like this to a more useful format for everyday playing.

8. Will Chen

Will Chen Member

If the Musebox came with the full Revalver III.V and was more open (looks like MUSE has it locked down and it can only load things you buy through them), I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've been waiting for Peavey to package Revalver in a pedal board since it came out but it looks like they're not in any rush. The Musebox is the next best thing, but really geared more towards keyboard players (that's how Peavey has categorized it). As a dedicated modeler, for $1000 I'd expect more more than just the HP version of Reavalver...

9. DougDoppler

DougDoppler Member

10. gaspedal

gaspedal Member

I have tried a lot of different modeling solutions and always seem to end up back at Revalver. It just sounds right to my ears.

11. johnnyninja

johnnyninja Member

I agree that it would be great to have software models in a pedal or multi-fx form factor. I've experimented with many of them and really like the sounds I can get. Unfortunately, I need to play at relatively low volume in my condo and end up having to compete with my macbooks fan noise. I guess an ipad could be on solutions but I wonder how much quality is lost vs the full software.

12. mikeyen

mikeyen Member

13. mikeyen

mikeyen Member

I had fond memories of the Classic 30 as well. I remembered the stock speakers being a tad shrill once cranked, but it was a really great bang for the buck.

Mike

14. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I love Revalver. I wish it wasn't such a CPU hog. My favorite thing about it is the ability to tweak the virtual amp parameters. You can get some very interesting fuzzy sounds by setting up the amp wrong.

15. epluribus

epluribus Member

You guys likin' the virtual workbench thingie? Sounds like a really interesting way to prototype circuits fast, before perfboarding them.

--Ray

16. shasha

shasha Member

Dude, that could have been my post except I only beta tested RIII. For software it's great and I ended up going with a tube preamp (PreSonus as well) and it helped a bit (probably a lot of placebo stuff going on as well), but the Ultra and now the II just really killed any SW modeller for me. Actually I think I tried to load RIII back on my machine when I sold the ultra and just couldn't get it to work right and lost interest.

But man do I remember learning about IR's with it and still think that it's a great program. I've just gotten really spoiled with having my PC free when playing.

Oh yeah, the Classic 30 was by far my favorite amp in there. Its a good one. :aok

17. torchlord

torchlord Member

Does anyone know if the high end muse receptor boxes can play peavey revalver mkIII.v? Right now I'm totally wishing i could find a way to use this vst in a hardware form. I'm considering even buying a high and laptop.

The thing is i come ac crossed this vst (gpu impulse reverb) that allows you to use the newer video cards processing capabilities to take the load of the cpu. With this i can run super lush sounding convolution reverbs at the same time as the amp sim with almost no latency. With a high end processor in your computer you could do the high settings on mkIII, and a convolution reverb at the same time. I'm hoping to someday see how fast switching patches could be if i had a speedy solid state hard drive. You should check out this vst, and download some bricasti m7, convolution reverbs. My guitarist friend thought i had some chorus on my guitar when i saturated the reverb, but it was just freaking super amazing sounding reverb. He was actually thinking of using peavey revalver instead of his tube amp :) win!!!

18. mix2much

mix2much Member

I believe that muse box only runs the HP version of Revalver.

19. Charlie Wardick

Charlie Wardick Member

I'll agree that RV is better with 3rd party IR solutions, but its still not for me. Haven't used it in forever. It's almost there, but not quite.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  20. Lolasaurus

Lolasaurus Member

When I was going through the rounds for every amp sim VST, Revavler was the only one within seconds I deleted from my laptop. On the lowest CPU settings it was still running up >75%, so I couldn't even evaluate the tone through the buffer destruction it was causing.