"Forgotten" Hair Metal Guitarists

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Feb 11, 2020.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Gotta add one nobody has mentioned. Back when I was in my late teens,my family had moved to NOLA, which was great musically. I did my first pro gigs there, and got to play at Jimmy’s, Tipitinas, and lots of other joints from age 16 onwards.

I used to go see this band practice sometimes, and their guitarist Randy snuck me in to see them play live at Olde Man Rivers on the west bank of NOLA. This band was so good live, and still are. They played nothing but Zeppelin, Rush, and their own originals. The first album is still in rotation with me, some 30 odd years later.

Randy Jackson has the whole package. Great guitarist, great singer, and this is one of the best sounding trios I have ever seen in my life. Guy Kelso is an amazing drummer, and Felix on bass and synths is like having John Paul Jones in your band.

The only band I have ever seen that comes close to being as good a trio as Zebra was Kings X :rockin

2. Barquentine

Barquentine Member

Quite like some of this stuff. The problem is not only does it sound dated now, it sounded dated then.

3. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

Well I'm going to add some Canadiana in here.

Not exactly household names or Hair Metal , but I think both Kim Mitchell and Brian (too loud) Macleod (RIP) can be added..In the case of Brian Macleod, listen to some old Headpins, which were a raw in your face female fronted hard rock band..He had a real ferocious stripped down Strat in a Marshall tone, and was a master of using volume swells..Fantastic player, who was played and recorded with a few Canadian rock bands. Song sounds a little dated, but I love his tone here. I also liked how he maintained his own style during that era of VH clones. I don't even know if the Headpins or Kim Mitchell even got much airplay outside of Canada.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  4. wddonalds

wddonalds Member

How could I forget The Bang Gang. Think they were formed from the remnants of Culprit. One of them went in to form The Exies and denied all knowledge of his glam past!

sahhas likes this.
  5. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

there were SO many hair metal bands. We’re kinda scratching the surface.

sahhas likes this.
  6. Harvester of Pain

Harvester of Pain Member

I haven't read the whole thread, but I suspect it's unlikely that anyone's mentioned Peter Szigeti.

Having recently watched the dvd of Warlock Live at The Camden Palace in 1985, I was blown away by what I regard as beautiful technique of the southpaw Peter Szigeti. I've always liked Warlock, but now I'm really getting into this guy's playing.

Panzer917, Spirithunter and sahhas like this.
  7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I really liked Bryce Trewin's playing on the 1st Killer Dwarfs rocord.

8. kustombob

kustombob Member

This band was just before Hair Metal. But many Hair bands mention these guys were a big Influence ' They wrote great songs' not killer guitar lead but great rockin marshall power rock. Their live shows then were great. Chicks loved them. Long Forgotten. Pull the Plug
    [​IMG]

9. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

Yes!
    I had Violation, great album.
    Richie Ranno and Brendan Harkin.

Mayor McCheese likes this.
  10. TheMemoryEstate

TheMemoryEstate Member

Remember when Ziggy Marley went metal

11. Rolo

Rolo Member

Cris Oliva never forgotten always inspires after all this years.
    I agree some great players have been mentioned that had bad luck and didnt survive the changing times.
    It shows that not even having the chops or looks guarantees anything.
    Maybe they.should have strive for consistency over big act focus.
    The music scene brutally changed and they were war casualities.
    Nowadays guitarists with their talent.can make albums in their living rooms and keep growing.
    Vitto had tone and style.. didnt like his band, but Vitto was great.
    George Lynch also made me like Dokken. George is strongly present still and he is a humble man. Rock on brothers we had a great 80s decade.

12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I used to have this album on Vinyl, and actually loved it, was listening to it this am:

I actually think Dweezil was a far better singer than his brother....but I sort of wished Dweezil would have continued his career....

Bobby D likes this.
  13. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

man, it's sad to look up a few of these guitarists and realize that they have passed away!!!!

14. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

another would be Tim Kelly from Slaughter, I remember their 1st album , almost bought it for the cover back in the day (ha)! but remember in ads, he was one of the first guitarists who I saw play a robin Machete, which I thought was cool:
    [​IMG]
    they actually had a couple of songs i really liked....
    their album:
    [​IMG]
    sad, he died in '98 in a car accident....

Guitarfool likes this.
  15. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

continuing my Dweezil theme, honestly I would have loved to hear a whole album with Dweezil Playing and Donnie Osmond doing the vocals:

honestly, i always thought Donnie could sing, with Dweezil's guitar, he was dangerous sounding....
    I think most of Extreme is doing backing vocals....From Dweezil's 3rd album "Confessions"

Rob G likes this.
  16. HugoLC

HugoLC Member

The guitar player in XYZ is amazing , great tone too

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.
  17. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

Harry Cody from Shotgun Messiah was a beast player....

T Dizz likes this.
  18. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

It sort of makes me sad that Ozzy and his management would rip off the guitarists who made his music come alive. Do we know , did he do this to Randy also?
    I realize his situation is different , since he died in an accident while on tour (assume the family sued for wrongful death?)...but just makes me sad. There was a RS review a number of years ago about Ozzy, and they said he basically has his career thanks to the guitar work of Randy Rhoads on those 2 albums, and that he's been trying to catch that fire ever since....to think that RR was getting ripped, just sucks....his playing was just so magical on those 2 albums.....and so musical....

19. dreamspace

dreamspace Supporting Member

Not really a forgotten metal guitarist, but Pantera and Dimebag used to make good cheesy 80's metal before Cowboys came out. Their Power Metal record is one of my favorite Pantera records, and it's filled with classic 80's shred licks. Tasty vibrato and trem use.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    PierreL and Guitarfool like this.
  20. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Supporting Member

Have wondered about a lot of the above. I'll add:

Spent a lot of time with Mike Hall (Mike Dwarf) on the walkman (Stand Tall, Big Deal, and Dirty Weapons). Personally never kept up with them after that.

Loved Steve McKnight of Cry Wolf, too. Wore out their "Crunch" album 30 years ago. They did a comeback thing and looks like they've been active since but weren't all that widely recognized in the first place, and the last vid on their "official" youtube was 8 years ago now.

LeftyGtrPlr likes this.