"Forgotten" Hair Metal Guitarists

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by DustyRhodesJr, Feb 11, 2020.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

So did i! And, seeing them up close at Bogarts many times, with the whole back of the stage lined wall to wall with Marshal stacks. That was pretty cool too. :)

freedom's door and Misterbulbous like this.
  2. Bankston

Bankston Supporting Member

I played a gig with Rowan about four years ago when he was with Bang Tango.

Wyatt Martin and rumbletone like this.
  3. Bankston

Scott is a badass. Very cool dude also.

Another great guy who can play his tail off is Stevie Blaze from Lillian Axe.

Bobby D and Beyondless like this.
  4. dreamspace

dreamspace Supporting Member

Has Rob Marcello been mentioned? Phenomenal shredder. Another Swede, too.

leonard d rock likes this.
  5. Misterbulbous

Misterbulbous Member

I’d say he/Sharon would have done to Randy what they did to Bob Daisley. Who’s to say Randy wouldn’t have ended up leaving the band after the 2nd album?

6. Bankston

Finally got through the rest of this thread. It's funny to read a lot of these names as "forgotten" when they're still very active and touring constantly. But I've played shows with a bunch of these cats the past few years, which is a sad commentary on the state of their careers, haha

Andy and Dime were already name players in Texas before they hit the big time.

Mick Sweda's other project is still one of my favorite Glam Metal albums:

Two names I haven't seen are Brent Woods and Benny Rhynedance from Wildside. They have the unique distinction of having recorded their debut major label record at 5150. Brent is still active as a touring pro. Benny is an awesome dude.

7. Coalface1971

Coalface1971 Member

Don't want to stray too far OT, as this is a great thread. But seems a tough gig working for those guys. As a kid, there was always this outward impression presented that getting a run with Ozzy was the chance of a lifetime. Ozzy wouldn't have got a long way without some of the talent that he has worked with, right from Iommi. Guess he is not the only singer to have winged that.

Haven't read Rudy Sarzo's book (just some excerpts online), but thought he implied that RR was very unhappy, and was going to leave the Osbourne's setup after the BOO tour.

RR was keen to study classical apparently, and did not want to do the "Speak of the Devil" Sabbath cover album. I rate Carlos Cavarzo, but could have imagined RR and Rudy teaming back up with Quiet Riot, the music with a vocalist of Kevin DuBro's quality (RIP) - would have got my money.

sahhas, ruger9 and LeftyGtrPlr like this.
  8. mbenigni

mbenigni Member

Despite being extremely out of it at the time, Ozzy does remember and has often talked about it in interviews. Also recounts it briefly in his autobiography. Basically Sharon's dragging him to the studio day after day to listen to this parade of shredders, but Ozzy's mostly just slumped in the corner drooling on himself. Then one day, Randy walks in with a "practice amp" (always been curious as to exactly what that meant in 1980-ish; could have been 100W Boogie for all Ozzy would have known LOL.) By some accounts they're in his hotel room; in the auto-biography they're at the studio. Anyway, Randy asks whether it would be OK if he warms up before the audition, Ozzy says "knock yourself out." Randy starts doing some fingering exercises, presumably arpeggios or whatever. Ozzy says, "Stop!" Randy says, "What's wrong?", thinking he's screwed up somehow. Ozzy says, "You've got the gig."

Agree, Steve Stevens would have been a great fit for DLR.

Also clearly (and tragically) documented in Ozzy's book, that the night before Randy was killed, he sat down with Ozzy and told him he didn't want to be a rock star any more. He wanted to go to university and intended to do so right after the tour was over.

As s***** as Ozzy and Sharon have been to some of their staff (though it's interesting to consider Ozzy's perspective here, too) I don't think they would have shafted Randy. I get the impression that Randy was a special case - family, essentially. But who knows what a couple of decades of "normal" might have brought on? Instead, Randy became a martyr just when Ozzy was closest with him.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  9. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Absolutely

Bobby D, LeftyGtrPlr and Spirithunter like this.
  10. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

David Victor and Chris Dodge of Velocity. Pat Torpey played drums on the album. David Victor played in Boston for a while.

sahhas likes this.
  11. Beyondless

Beyondless Member

Right on, I was way into Psychoschizophrenia when it came out, much more so than the debut.

Bankston likes this.
  12. MOJO

MOJO Member

A couple of local guys I always thought were underated

David DiPietro from TT Quick
    Ken Dubman from Prophet
    Tony "Bruno" Rey. Saraya/Danger Danger

Not local but Chris Oliva. Savatage

Bobby D likes this.
  13. wddonalds

wddonalds Member

Who could forget the mighty Punky Mendoza from my Scottish homeboys Heavy Pettin’ ?

14. Wolfgangsta

Wolfgangsta Supporting Member

I always loved Mick Sweda's playing on both Bulletboys albums. To me, he had unique phrasing and killer tone.
    Ronnie LeTekro is another favorite of mine. TNT's 'Tell No Tales' is loaded with amazing guitar work.
    Robert Sarzo's (Rudy's brother) playing on Hurricane's first two albums is awesome.
    I know we all know Doug Aldrich, but his work on Hurricane's third album is great too.

A few more that I dig:
    Derek Frigo - Enuff Z'nuff
    Dann Huff
    Tim Kelly - Slaughter Didn't care for his overly processed tone, but he ripped.
    He's not really hair metal, but everyone should know who Stevie Salas is.
    Frank Hannon & Tommy Skeoch - one of my favorite bands
    Keith Douglas - Tora Tora

LeftyGtrPlr and Guitarfool like this.
  15. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Even though David Chastain always flew a bit under the radar, he really put out a lot of great music in the 80s.
    I was fortunate I got to see the band Chastain (with Leather) twice. Was never able to see CJSS.

I don't think Doug Marks has been mentioned yet. Dude is living in a house in the Hollywood Hills thanks to Metal Method, but he had a band called Hawk back in the day-

(That's Scott Travis of Racer X and Judas Priest on drums)

16. robbierobnj

robbierobnj Supporting Member

Craig Small from 9.0, was a Shrapnel band, he was and still is amazing. Check his clips on YouTube.

17. seantk

seantk Supporting Member

Derek Frigo (Enuff z Nuff) (at least on the first album, 1988)

Rob G, wddonalds and freedom's door like this.
  18. RoketRdr

RoketRdr Member

Also don't forget that he and George Lynch produce albums together.

freedom's door likes this.
  19. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

On the heavier side, but the guitar players in Vicious Rumors and Apocrypha were pretty good!!

20. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I have no doubt they would have shafted him too had he not died a legend.