1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

form vs. function (power supplies vs. adaptors)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by duende, Aug 30, 2005.

1. duende

duende Member

So we all have the great pedals... but some of them need some real juice. Carbon 9V's only our ideal for our wahs and fuzzes.

So it's either a few AC->DC power adaptors, or a nice power supply that can handle multiple volt requirements.

But these power supplies are not small. They take up some serious real estate. Yes... there's the DC brick and the OneSPot etc... but they are not isolated or regulated so that nixes them for me.

When does precious pedal board space get sacrificed for a pedal power or juice box???? What's the real advantages of a dedicated mulitiple volt outlet over a few (2 or 3) adaptors that don't take up precious board real estate???

The reason I ask is this... I have a pedaltrain (the original model) and I really like the size. But, my power supply prevents me from having one last pedal that I need on my board.

Sooo... to clear up the space on top of my board, I have to either cut out a slot in the alluminum frame underneath and mount the power supply there, or.... I could just retire my power supply and get a extension cord and duct tape three adaptors to it (9V,12V, and 18V)

just curious to hear some of the experiences here have been.

regards,

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey. I use a godlyke power-all. It's not isolated, but it is regulated. I use it to power 10 pedals, and it does it perfectly with no noise.

3. duende

duende Member

oops my bad.... I'm glad it works for you. I would consider it, but I only have one pedal that requires 9V...

:)

4. puddlian

puddlian Member

Not sure if this will help ya, but I have in the past mounted a pedal (usually tuner) on top of my power supply with no problems.
    Could you do that?

5. duende

duende Member

Yeah, I've done that too... only problem is that it won't all fit in my case that way. Also... it looks/feels kind of screwy and unstable.

I'm really curious to hear what people have to say sound quality wise as far as power supplies vs. adaptors... what superior sonically??

6. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Until I received my PP2+ today, I'd have sworn that the couple of 1-Spots I was using prior to that were silent and didn't affect the way the pedals worked. The PP2+, however, was a marked improvement - I hadn't realised how my better my pedals could sound! Both signal/noise ratio and tone are much better.

7. duende

duende Member

Agreed, but what if you are only running one single pedal off of the pp2??? Which would sound better one pedal of a PP2 or one pedal off an adaptor??

Jury's still out for me.

8. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

duende,

IMHO that echo unit you use has critical power supply current requirements which exceed what the supplied wallwart can handle. (long term).

with this in mind, I would Not go the wallwart/extension cord route.

Is there any way that a modded HO pedal power can be fit under the board?

That's what I'd do.

Ed R.

9. cubba65

cubba65 Member

duende

What's on your board?
    (well I think I know already, but tell me again!)

It may then be easier to answer your question.

I think cutting room for the PP2 under the PT is a good idea, and I will be doing myself as well.

10. duende

duende Member

Thanks for the info Ed. So I take it the Dunlop 18V is not ideal in it's ruggedness?

Hmmmm.... but still... could the noise floor be lower? I've did a quick rough A/B comparison with a few power supplie I have at home, and the adaptor actually slightly quieter. I do have a dirty ground at my house so that had an effect, but maybe the fact that the adaptors don't have a ground is another plus??

Also in another test at my work yesterday, running the adaptor off it's own circuit and NOT off the back of the tested power supplies was cleaner....

Cubba,

cutting the board is tempting... but I'm not sure if I'm there yet.;)

11. Ed Rembold

Ed Rembold Member

The Dunlop 18v regulated wallwarts are very quiet (that's why I supply them) however, the Ec + Ab draws 160-180 ma, You'll notice that the supplied wallwart is rated at 160ma. and will get quite hot.

If you can borrow a new PP2PLUS, use outlets 5 & 6 (DIP switch NORMAL) and a "Y" cord, you'll will notice a little bit of noise reduction and a bit more punch.

Thanks, Ed R.

12. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I get around the real estate 'problem' by mounting a pedal on top of my PP2 - right now it's the channel switcher for my amp, but in the past it's been everything from a tuner to a compressor.

--chiba