1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Former Masonette Owners: Why did you sell?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fast ricky love, Jul 21, 2006.

1. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm thinking about a Masonette... curious to know from you folks that have had one and sold it: why?

I want to get into a Marshall kind of amp and the Mas is ideal size/wattage-wise.

And if you have one and compared it to say an 18w or other Germinos, why do you like the Mas?

THANKS!! :dude

2. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I sold mine because it was just too loud for my purposes. But man was that amp killer. The thing is, it sounds best when cranked. Oh, and the clean tones are among the best I've heard.

3. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

I never sold mine. Most guys do after buying a C40 since you can put 6v6's in the C40 with a re-bias and get in the Masonette's neighborhood.

4. hamrhed1

hamrhed1 Member

I didn't sell mine either. I also have a Rockytop 18 and a Germino Classic 45. The Rockytop and the Masonette are similar in levels of gain. I would say that the Masonette is a bit higher gain and more raw sounding (in the good way).Both of these don't really need pedals to do the classic rock thing well. Both also have great cleans, not tons of headroom but more than you might think based upon the comments you hear thrown about. Both the Rockytop and Masonette clean up nicely with the guitar volume.

The Classic 45 is slightly louder than the other 2 and has more clean headroom. The 45 has this big,round quality to the tone that doesn't fatigue your ears. It has great cleans, not Fender cleans, cleans with some hair. It isn't as aggressive sounding as the Masonette or the Rockytop. I usually play the 45 with a Fulldrive II turned on boosted about 1/2 and then use the vol on the guitar to go from clean to driven tones.

The Rockytop sounds best dimed, the Masonette gets good at 6+. The Classis 45 needs to be 8+ without a pedal to get into classic rock territory. When I add the Fulldrive to the 45, I set it on about 6 and it sounds good. All of these amps sound amazing and all are pretty loud.

5. fast ricky love

I'm sensing the 'ol GAS winds a blowin...

More comments please!

6. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

The Masonette is a cool amp but I never really bonded with mine. It compressed too easily for my tastes. Not that I dislike amps that compress and sustain mind you... it's just that "for me"... I found the Masonette's compression to be too over the top and a bit ragged sounding to the point where I wasn't digging it's overdrive tone.

I sold the Massonette shortly after getting a Classic 45 and a Lead 55 and couldn't be happier! The Classic 45 is one of my all time favorite amps.... it's just sick! :dude

7. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

I'm in the "got the Club 40 instead," camp. I like playing strats and the C40 just has a nice full bottom end that the Masonette didn't have. For me, in a side by side A/B "shootout," I chose the Club 40 many times.... I did own them both for a few months, then sold the Masonette.

8. fast ricky love

So is the Mas compressed like an 18w? I don't mind compression so long as the tone is 'organic', in that I can still hear what my guitar sounds like...

What was 'ragged' sounding about it?

Thanks for input so far gents.

9. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

The Massonte was killer when cranked but I found the Invader I had at the time had more bounce to it and was a little more lively.

10. Mr.Hanky

The Masonette (like the C40) is tuneable to some degree.
    And there are a lot of NOS 6V6 options out there. I NOS'ed mine and removed one of the jumper thingymabobs (forgot the technical term, ask HeeBGB) to lower the gain a tad.
    Playing around with tubes definitly added more midrange bounce in that amp.

I have a pretty good recording of mine with an R7 and 2X12 with Celestion Heritage's. It is a band cut with 2 guitars but it is easy to pick out the LP since it is panned to one side.

11. fast ricky love

Hey Mr H, nice site! I'd love to hear that clip, is it on your site now?

12. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

13. fast ricky love

Thanks! Well, the Mas into a cab sounds better than the combo.

BUT those Reinhardt 18w clips are terrific! I've been kinda twisting as to which way to go on a lower powered Marshall-y amp, and the Reinhardt kept impressing me and it has again!!

14. fast ricky love

I think I'm sold on that Reinhardt... now to find one used! :)

15. leper messiah

leper messiah Member

I actually couldn't agree more. That Reinhardt 18W is a phenomenal EL84 amplifier. I tried one at Indoor Storm and came within inches of buying the head+cab. Really a top notch product IMO.

16. Mr.Hanky

Thanks.

No, that is the latest tune we did and the first time I used the Masonette in the studio.

Drop me an E-mail and I can mail it to you if you like.

17. Mr.Hanky

Bob is a great guy making a great amp, I had an opportunity to play one of his prototypes and it was great. Clip is on his site in fact.

18. khudson

khudson Member

I love Greg's amps, and use to have a Masonette. For my particular uses, it was too loud and I wanted something where I didn't have to use pedals for my dirt.

Solution: Reinhardt 18 - managable marshall OD at reasonable volume levels. The masonette was just to "in your face" volume wise, though the tone was sweet. Neighbors could hear me 5-6 houses down on the masonette, and it wasn't even dimed! Bought the Reinhardt and there is no looking back for pure, natural, marshall OD with just my axe & amp!

Jason also has clips of the Reinhardt & Masonette at his website:

Steelbender.com

Cheers...

19. GGjaguar

GGjaguar Member

... it sounded best at volumes that were just too loud for me. Even though it was "only" 25 watts, the thing was easily as loud as some 35 and 40 watt amps. I opted for a 15-watt Magic Amps "Brit" that gives up the goods at lower volumes thanks to it's very useable (and non-tone sucking) master volume.

GG

20. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

+1. it was one of the few (only?) marshall-inspired amps i've liked. not too bad with an attenuator, but it really sounded best cranked.