• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Former or current Guitar Center employees...

56_Special

...what does "base price" on the computer screen mean? I'm in negotiation with a Guitar Center employee. He pulls up some info on his computer screen. I'm not actually trying to snoop, but I see "base price: $X". How can I use this information in my negotiations?

clothwiring

It's the price that GC sets as what the base is the employee can sell it at. Basically, screw that number. What you need to do is look at the MSRP and figure that GC probably bought the item for somewhere between 40-50% off that price and come up with a price you're willing to pay. Note that's a general guide but not true on ALL items. Also note that I don't work for GC but have a close friend that used to work for another retailer.

56_Special

Thanks! It's not new so MSRP doesn't come into play. So what you're saying is that I can get it for that number?

LTE

Based on clothwiring's post, I would say you could proberly get it a little cheaper than that with a manager signing off.

Sounds like the base price has the profit magin figured in.

pdks

I read the other day that with the demand (spending) falling so rapidly in the face of all the nasty economic news, that more and more retailers have instructed their employees to accept offers (within pre-defined limits). It's sure worth asking....

secondly you have to find the GC sales guy who will actually go below the base price...even the managers....
maybe I am a horrible negotiator but most of the stuff worth buying is the stuff that sells well, they dont HAVE to go below the base price...I have had very little success knocking off much...the first couple guitars I bought I was able to get a free case and 25% off (epiphones) but since then usually little or nothing
I have made offers, left, come back...and often the item is sold out LOL...why the hell would they take a loss...unless Im buying some pile of crap that no one else wants
I have better luck going to a mom pop place and buying used...!

Trending Topics