Fort Mac Fire.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by I am the Liquor, May 5, 2016.

1. I am the Liquor

I am the Liquor Member

MGT, orourke, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  2. stealthtastic

stealthtastic Member

I have a few friends that were there and had to leave. Thankfully nobody has been hurt yet AFAIK.

3. GrungeMan

GrungeMan Supporting Member

The view from Ice Lake in The Great White North
    80,000 people displaced!

4. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Just crazy. Hope everybody is OK. Can't imagine what these people are going through.

5. DRS

DRS Member

And hundreds and hundreds of miles of forest for it to just burn through.

6. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Terribly frightening. I have two cousins who have lost their homes and entire neighborhoods. My aunt isn't sure if her home survived, however everyone is safe. A lifelong friend was evacuated from the evacuation center very early this morning as the fire is headed directly for it.

7. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Here's hoping for a lot of rain really soon.

8. AZChilicat

AZChilicat Member

Yeah, pretty major. I have a cousin who's family lost it all and a friend that was evacuated but apparently his place is okay. Mojo sent to all the folks there.

9. earwax

earwax Member

Moved out of Fort Mac last year. I have a lot of friends still there and most of them lost houses or condo's. Really hoping they can get things can get under control so they can start to rebuild their lives.

Not sure how many members here live there but I know of at least one.

10. orourke

orourke Member

I don't know anyone up there but I've been following this story. My thoughts are with those people, good luck to them.

11. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

12. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

What a terrible conflagration! The news this morning showed some shots from a security camera on a woman's home that captured visuals of her neighbor's homes going up until the fire was finally at the doorstep.

13. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

Heartbreaking. It's also heartwarming to see the country coming together. Lots of people acting on their own, heading out with truckloads of food and fuel to help people who have run out of gas. One of the oil companies sent out some tanker trucks to also fuel people up. A beer company switched production to canning water to send to the front lines & evacuation centers.

People are being flown out, workers are being sent home so people can be put up in the work camps. Hotels offering free rooms, restaurants offering free food. Personally I've sent $20 to the Red Cross which will be matched by the provincial and federal govt, so the $20 = $60. A friend sells leggings and is offering new pairs at $5 each to donate to evacuees, so I chipped in $50 for that. I hear there's a couple in town being put up at a hotel with nothing but the clothes on their back and their dog, so I'm buying a big bag of dog food for their dog once I find out what kind he prefers. I'll also give them $50 as well.

I was asked to provide gear for a benefit gig but I'm all tied up doing prom this weekend. They are going to do a coffee shop show so I'll be attending it at least.

A friends mom has lost their house. On the good side, another buddies house might still be there, the home phone still rings, and they are getting alarm info.

But yeah, ********.

:(

The Boilermakers Local 146 just showed up with a trailer full of food. Hats off boys.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  14. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

15. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Apparently, a beer brewing company, Labatt, has shut down one of its plants to instead just bottle the water they normally use and ship it over to the victims.

Classy. Very cool!

marktweedy and GuitarGuy66 like this.
  16. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

17. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

It now looks like that Terminator 2 dream sequence. Horrific!

[​IMG]

18. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

19. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

The images are surreal. What got me was that the authorities are basically saying that there was nothing that could really be done to contain or suppress it, and that the weather had to change. My oh my.

20. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

It's still ongoing. Apparently, firefighters are fighting 49 fires, 2 of which are entirely out of control. I remember somebody on the news saying the sector needs a ton of rain to stop the fires.

Just looked at the 14-day forecast and it's bad. Drizzle on one day and a bit more rain on another day but nothing that'd help for the next 2 weeks!

It's not the entire town that was ravaged by the fire, but a good portion of it. Can't imagine being part of a family that has to go back just to see whether their house is still there.

The Red Cross accepts donations, in case anybody's interested in contributing.

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1951&ea.campaign.id=50610