Forte 3D 1x12 vs Any Front Ported 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ddsl401, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ddsl401

ddsl401 Member

Will the Forte 3D 1x12 sound like a front ported 1x12. Assuming same speaker will the tone be the same? Which will sound better fuller? Which one will be less boxy sounding?
    Anyone have experience with both.

Thanks Much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. brucesinger

brucesinger Member

No experience with both, but I have a front-ported Pure 64 cab that sounds astonishingly good. I compared it side-by-side with my 2x12 closed back cab this morning, and it actually sounded better and as big and full. (I wish I could keep both, but I can't!)
    Would love to hear a Forte though. All reviews have been great.

3. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Certainly the Forte 3D will sound less boxy. In my experience, the sound of the Forte 3D is more evenly distributed than any open-back I've heard, and it will be less beamy than a front-ported 1x12. The overall speaker character is going to remain unchanged, generally.

- Thom

4. scorched

scorched Member

A Forte 1x12 3D does not sound boxy. Its a large box and deep so it has a fuller sound. I have a 2x12 - a 3D on top and a closed bottom. Sounds big and rich. Of course it all depends on what speakers you put in it.

Ported cabs are touchy. The speaker chosen needs to be rated for port size and box volume.

5. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

Go with forte. Absolutely best crafted equipment I have seen. None of the other cabs can touch the sound of a forte. You will not regret the decision, Dave is a pleasure to work with.

6. ddsl401

ddsl401 Member

I went with the Forte 3D 1X12 cabinet with a Scumback M75. I hope its a perfect match for my Badger 18. Dave is a first class act and a pleasure to work with. Now I just have to wait 6 to 8 weeks.

7. Timbre Wolf

I'm sure you won't have any regrets at all. I've been enjoying my vertical 2x12 with a Scumback H75 on top and EV AlNiCo SRO on the bottom. The Scumback replaced a Celestion Gold, which didn't quite make the grade.

Enjoy!

- Thom

8. Groberts

Groberts Silver Supporting Member

I have a Forte 3D 1x12. It is built and crafted with surgical precision. The build quality, parts and everything about it are superb! It is exactly as others have said; wonderful dispersion, great punch of a closed back with the openess of an open back cab.

Thom, I've been running a Celestion Gold in mine for quite a while and I'm about ready to try something different. WGS Blackhawk, or Scumback M75 perhaps.

9. Timbre Wolf

Rhythmrocker demo-ed a 3D 1x12 with a Fane AXA 12, and that was what inspired me to buy my vertical 2x12. Very cool sound!

Interesting thing about the C-Gold: I know I'm supposed to love that speaker, but I've ended up not preferring it in a Vox AC30CC1, Carr Slant 6V, Mesa wide-body semi-open 1x12 cab (run with various amps), and now with this Forte cab. Just not my thing, I guess.

- T

10. aflynt

aflynt Member

I've got several jobs and one studio date under my belt with my 3D 1X12 now and I really really love the cabinet. It's an incredibly balanced sound. Punchy but not boomy, clear but not harsh, warm but not muddy. It's also amazingly consistent sounding from venue to venue. I was contemplating getting another one, but now I'm wondering if it's even necessary since it sounds so great on it's own. I had a Mesa 1x12" Thiele cabinet at one time and there is absolutely no comparison. The Thiele sounded better for bass than guitar honestly.

-Aaron