Forte 3D 2x12 Cab review.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by earthmud, May 1, 2011.

1. earthmud

earthmud Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've had my cab for a few weeks now and am loving it more and more everyday. I wanted to wait till I had a chance to take it to band practice a couple of times before I gave a full review. First of all Dave from Forte was great to work with. He answers emails quickly and was a joy to deal with through the whole process. I was quoted six to eight weeks and thats exactly when I received the cab. I'm a contractor and the build construction on these cabs is off the charts. The milled channels and joints are all very tight and clean and the tolex and grill cloth came out very nice as well. The cab looks and feels extremely sturdy and could probably take a whack from a small bus and end up ok. If not a bus then a Prius for sure;). It's not heavy and not light at least to me. Dave also packs the hell out of these things for shipping.
    The sound of this thing is something special. The notes really do seem to come from nowhere. It's very cool effect. No matter where you stand the cab comes through loud and clear without any beaming or overwhelming bass. The sound from the front is still very focused even with the side ports but it wont take your head off. Last practice we had a room mic set at least 20 ft from the cab and it came through loud and clear with great balance and focus. Since this was not the standard way to mic a cab I was really surprised how good it sounded at such a distance and how well it came through on the recording. It really is one of the nicest sounding cabs I've ever heard. All around I am extremely pleased with the cab and feel confident it will be with me for a very long time. Dave at Forte is a great guy who truly cares about his product and I can't recommend his cabs highly enough. Class act all the way.

[​IMG]

2. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

So if you had this cab on stage behind you, the drummer and bass player off to the side can hear the cab well?

I may get a 1x12 and it's this or a Thiele.

?

3. earthmud

Very well IMO. The side ports work very well and projects the sound evenly in a 180 degree spread. It's a great design that really works.

4. antiqueplectra

antiqueplectra Member

That's a sweet looking rig! What speakers are you using and did you load them yourself or did you order the cabinet pre-loaded? Either way--congrats. I bet it sounds great.

5. voojo

voojo Member

I've talked a lot about my Forte 1x12s, I've got three of them and love them. The next cab I plan on picking up is a 2x12 like yours.

I'm curious to what speakers you're running in the cab as well.

6. bettset

bettset Member

mine is almost a year old. i got the tone tubby's. it really sounds great, it lets the character of the amp come thru :munch

7. Jim S

Why would you get the 2x12 of the 1x12 if the latter disperses sound well?
    Greater db level?

8. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

I like stacking a 1x12 with a theile....Best of both! ;)

9. Quintus

Quintus Member

+1. Here's my Forte 3D w/ WGS Blackhawk 100w alnico, stacked atop my Lopoline thiele w/ EV SRO. These two speakers really compliment each other. I had the thiele built externally to the same dimensions as the Forte (internal thiele stayed true to specs).

[​IMG]

10. scorched

scorched Member

Very nice looking cabs! I'm very curious as to how they sound.

Quintus, the 100w Blackhawk is what I've been considering. Your opinions?

11. Quintus

Quintus Member

I went with the WGS Blackhawk at the recommendation of Macaroni (Ron) here at TGP, and I'm glad I did. It's exactly what I was looking for: a very balanced speaker that’s clear and articulate without any harshness or ear fatigue, can get clear and chimey but also has a tight, detailed low end, just a wonderful sounding, versatile speaker. It's in the same tonal camp as an EV SRO, but has the tighter alnico compression going for it.

Dave at Forte Cabinets sent me his own review of the Blackhawk after trying mine out in a Forte 3D he built for me. He's a WGS dealer, BTW, and no, I am not on commission, just really appreciated getting his take. Here's what he had to say about the Blackhawk 100W alnico:

“One of my favorites. Nicely balanced, full-range speaker. No emphasis on any particular frequency range. What's most impressive is the fact that it's got plenty of chime for beautiful cleans, yet distortion is not fizzy or harsh. The big compromise in speakers is having enough brightness for cleans, and to cut through a mix, while still having smooth distortion. Everything from clean to over-the-top distortion had me saying "wow" with this speaker. My main amp is an old Marshall 2204 modified by Bruce Egnator. The amp has a great medium crunch tone, but gets fizzy if you crank the pre into distortion territory. The Blackhawk really smoothes this amp out without being dark or muddy. Solid at high volumes too. Very impressive. I think it's a well-rounded speaker that would work well with a variety of amps and seems to be a perfect match for the 3D 112.”

12. Jim S

What does the Thiele provide that the Forte 3D does not, prompting you to have both?

13. Quintus

Quintus Member

These cabs, powered by my Kingsley Tone Baron, were my 50th birthday “dream rig,” and I got the concept from Macaroni (Ron), who absolutely nailed it. I wanted two 1x12 cabs for the sake of portability and added tone, and these two really work hand-in-hand. (I also like having the Tone Baron head at waist-level for ease of use).

As to the tonal differences between the two, my thiele’s EV SRO has a ceramic magnet, so you don't get the same alnico compression when pushed hard like the WGS Blackhawk. The thiele-EV SRO has a tighter low end, a bit more defined clarity and high end sparkle. The Blackhawk is a drop-in replacement for an EV, according to the speaker’s webpage and the two speakers clearly sound like they’re both from the same tonal camp. So I get the thiele-EV for punch, low end and ceramic mojo, mixed with the AlNiCo mojo of the Blackhawk with Forte 3D’s side-ported dispersion, which is the best of both open and closed back cabs. Together, they really project an incredible wall of tone.

I'll leave open the question of whether there are tonal advantages to having one 2x12 vs. two 1x12s. I haven't owned a 2x12.

Ron, care to chime in?

14. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

What's the emoticon for 'chime in'? :D

David/Quintus said it all. I agree. Here's my version in a w/d/w configuration...

[​IMG]

15. earthmud

Thanks man. I'm currently running a Red Fang and a g12h30. I loaded them myself and have a celestion blue on the way as well. Not 100% on the Fang quite yet. The cab sounds great no matter what speakers I've run through it. Dave is a super nice guy who builds a killer cabs.

16. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

I have a 2*12 too. Very nice cab with the advantages of both closed and open back cabs.

And I concur, Dave is great to work with.