Forum for Musician and Band Meets

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by SharkAtl, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

Hello everyone. I've just started playing guitar a few years ago and have been actively taking weekly lessons. I am getting into the game a little later in life as I have always loved music, but thought it would be fun to have as a hobby (I am 43). Well, not surprisingly, I've caught the bug. I am to the point now where I am looking for folks to jam with and even possibly start a fun band on the side (I do have a regular job that takes up a lot of my time). I would think that I am in the same boat as many musicians out there. Which brings me to the reason for my post. I have not seen a good forum out there that essentially provides a means for people in the same area to discuss getting together to jam or to join bands. I was hoping there would be a forum that would be state-specific. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Unfortunately, I don't have many friends that also play, so I am basically starting from scratch.

Anybody know of any forums out there that caters to this sort of purpose?

Thanks!!

2. Lance

Lance Member

Unfortunately, your best bet is Craigslist.org for local. For your situation, I would recommend hitting some open mic nights, and do some good old fashioned hand shaking. ATL should have a pretty good music scene, so it shouldn't be too tough.

3. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I was taking lessons a few years ago, and my teacher's advice was the same as Lance's: put an ad on Craigslist or hit some open mic nights.

4. tonejunky

tonejunky Member

That's actually a good idea.

Let me know when you find the forum.

5. boonhogganbeck

boonhogganbeck Member

There are several good jams in Atlanta were you can cut your teeth and meet other musicians. I'll be at the Tuesday night jam at Montana's in Alpharetta tonight. It's a really friendly jam - not all of them out there are. Feel free to PM me if you would like more information.

6. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

You know, I did a pretty extensive search and found no forum that caters to musicians looking to jam or bands looking to form by area. I might actually look into creating such a forum.

boonhogganbeck - I will send you a pm about the Alpharetta jam.

7. Franklin

Franklin Member

I remember there being one or two, but they were mostly ads like Craigslist.

I met many muscians at jams, both public and private. Def try to get out to Montana's in Alpharetta in the post above.

8. speakerjones

speakerjones Member

Check out bandmix.com

I've had some luck connecting with folks on there. You have to set up a profile for yourself. I think it weeds out some of the less serious people because it's less anonymous. There are a couple others like it, but I think it's been around the longest.

Otherwise, the advice above for CL and networking at local jams/open mics is good.

9. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

I've checked out BandMix, but I was hoping to find something that is more forum based. I think a forum allows participants to really post what they are looking for and for a dialogue to stem from that.

I will definitely check out some of the local jam nights, but Craigslist is a bit too hit and miss (mostly miss) for me.

I really may look into launching a new forum website broken down by state so that musicians can have this conversation with each other. Won't be easy, but could be fun.

Thanks for all the responses!!

10. Franklin

Franklin Member

I can tell you running a forum is too much work. I had a couple of them 10-15 years ago, www.fish.net (and blues.com or .net I think) and I can tell you it's a lot of moderating. Fish.net had prob less than 50 active members when I closed it, but reading everything for content was way too much daily work. By the time (this was the late 90s) I knew about assigning moderators there were 100s of fishing forums online. So I closed it.

11. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Did you try Meetup? "Helps groups of people with shared interests plan meetings and form offline
    clubs in local communities around the world." They even have an app that, by location, can find stuff of interest to you. Just did that last night and found two in NYC that i'm curious about.

12. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Go to local used record and music stores and find some underground and alternative newspapers, which are normally free. Many of them have lists of local clubs and their events, which often include open jams.
    Open jams are not just for those wanting to play, it is also for those who want to listen. I have met musicians at jams and been asked to play in their bands, them having never took the stage. Often musicians will go to them and not play. I often don't play when I go to them ( or try not to). I just like to hang out with guys I know.
    But, my point is, jams are often a great place to find like minds.

13. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

14. todd richman

todd richman Senior Member

Some cool suggestions here-marking this for the near future.